C4 Forums | Control4

Need faster Fire TV gui / menu control in C4?

videostorm

29 minutes ago, videostorm said:

We don't have enough inventory right now for Amazon.  Still testing the market.  If enough demand then we can build large inventories for the multiple amazon warehouses (which is why that would be 6 months out).

just thinking about this, but wouldn't you lose the direct app launching if I changed to your ip/IR driver?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, since you can't do that using standard key commands.

However, we could work with C4s driver team to just include support for our HW in the current driver.  Simple to do, in LUA just see if port 9093 if open on the same IP.  If so, route all the key commands to that port (our HW) and app launching commands via ADB (like they are now).  Best of both worlds :)

Anyway, need to make sure everyone is happy with the way the key commands work first.  Then bring it to the C4 driver team.

10 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Yes, since you can't do that using standard key commands.

However, we could work with C4s driver team to just include support for our HW in the current driver.  Simple to do, in LUA just see if port 9093 if open on the same IP.  If so, route all the key commands to that port (our HW) and app launching commands via ADB (like they are now).  Best of both worlds :)

Anyway, need to make sure everyone is happy with the way the key commands work first.  Then bring it to the C4 driver team.

yeah, sorry but I'll wait. direct app launching is more important to me right now

13 hours ago, Crazyjack said:

Ok,  I ordered 2 of these and installed one irUSB on 1 of my FireTV's and I do feel that there is enough of a noticeable difference.   I'm glad I did it especially if it solves the FireTV's waking up problem.

Thanks Videostorm!  

Thanks!  Make sure you update the firmware to V223.  There is a button on in the app to do this.

Please let me know if you think the button mapping needs any adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

We are working with Video Storm to include support of this device in our drivers.  This will add FireTV, Nvidia Shield and other Android 5.1+ device support to our Kodi and Plex drivers.  Should see an update before the end of the year hopefully.

Just plugged the irUSB into my FireTV USB port.   Installed the app on the Fire and updated firmware for irUSB.  But don't know what to do next.  

1. I can't find the irUSB in my IP scan to get an IP address

2. You say to bind the IP and HDMI connections.  To what?

3. What would I think show and hide in navigators?

Do you have step by step instructions?

12 hours ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Just plugged the irUSB into my FireTV USB port.   Installed the app on the Fire and updated firmware for irUSB.  But don't know what to do next.  

1. I can't find the irUSB in my IP scan to get an IP address

2. You say to bind the IP and HDMI connections.  To what?

3. What would I think show and hide in navigators?

Do you have step by step instructions?

bind the drivers ip and hdmi connections and make sure the device id is in the property tab of the driver.

The setup instructions are in the driver documentation tab (that also links to our online instructions).

The IP address is the IP address of the FIRE TV itself  (IrUSB shares the fire tv ip connection)

The device id is only needed if you have MORE than one IrUSB attached to the fire tv.

The HDMI output is bound to your TV or matrix switch. 

2 hours ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Thanks! Do i keep or delete the fire driver? Do i leave the Fire hdmi bound to the matrix?

You can remove the original fire TV driver  Our driver hdmi output should be bound to the matrix (so C4 will know to select it).

We are working on a new version of our driver that supports all the direct app launching and mini drivers as well.  Maybe released next week.

Thanks for the help.  IMHO, you should update the driver documentation to match what you told me above.   

Driver is great and is WAY more responsive than the native driver.  Nice work!

One thing I have found that would be a nice add - in the native driver, the 'guide' button acts as the 'home' button on the OEM Fire remote.  Would be great to map guide to home - it's nice to have a direct access to the home screen, especially since you can get very deep into menus in the Fire TV

• 2 weeks later...
I hate using the Fire TV hardware. It just sucks in general. I much prefer the Roku in ease of use, reliability, and performance. We recommend Roku Ultras for all of our clients, at-least until Apple TV releases a Amazon Video app!
So you will never recommend Apple tv

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

So you will never recommend Apple tv

Nope. We use Apple TV's on almost every job and every install. In a lot of cases, we install both Apple TV and Roku, to get all video services. Amazon Prime Video has a lot of great 4K content. And most of our customers have Amazon Prime memberships already. So for $129, it's a great way to utilize a service the client already has and pays for.

Nope. We use Apple TV's on almost every job and every install. In a lot of cases, we install both Apple TV and Roku, to get all video services. Amazon Prime Video has a lot of great 4K content. And most of our customers have Amazon Prime memberships already. So for $129, it's a great way to utilize a service the client already has and pays for.
Your posts contradict each other.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Your posts contradict each other.

Not at all, really. I could have elaborated more in my original post, by saying we install both Roku and Apple TV in our installs, at least until Apple TV releases an Amazon Prime app. THEN we will typically install ONLY an Apple TV. I just didn't go into greater length about the Apple TV, since my original post was more comparing the Roku to the Fire TV, which I still stand by whole heartedly. We educate all of our clients on the differences between the two platforms. Because we've found the Roku to be more reliable than the Fire TV and Chromecast, we recommend Apple TV and Roku. Both are fairly different in features, so we discuss our clients needs. In a lot of cases we install both units, to cover the complete spectrum of services and functionalities. Though we have a lot of customers with just Apple TV's, and just Roku's.

18 hours ago, vkkotha said:

Does this support new Fire TV 4k ? And is the response fast ?

Yes, and it is really fast (our driver is fast and the new fire tv itself is faster than the old one).   You do need to get a $4 otg adapter also since the new fire tv only has one USB port which is shared with power.  

17 hours ago, videostorm said:

Yes, and it is really fast (our driver is fast and the new fire tv itself is faster than the old one).   You do need to get a $4 otg adapter also since the new fire tv only has one USB port which is shared with power.  

We are using this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TC662N

Amazon USB to Network adapter for Static IP for the FireTV.

Is it tested with this ? We don't want to loose wired network connection for the Fire TV. 

7 hours ago, vkkotha said:

We are using this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TC662N

Amazon USB to Network adapter for Static IP for the FireTV.

Is it tested with this ? We don't want to loose wired network connection for the Fire TV. 

That one won't work for IrUSB because it doesn't give you a USB port (their micro port is just for power)

Use this one  https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00LLUEJXW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1512604000&sr=8-10&keywords=ethernet+adapter+for+fire+stick

With an OTG adapter like this one  https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Samsung-Player-OTHERS/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1512604261&sr=8-10&keywords=otg+adapter 

There are many OTG adapters if you don't like the form factor of the one above.  These combinations are tested and work well.

Archived