C4 Forums | Control4

RAID server/HTPC/Blue Iris NVR

koxkp

I feel like I’m looking for a unicorn here trying to combine everything into one machine maybe or if I use an i7 this can be done?

I was originally looking at a Nuc to replace my Rpi running Kodi now, mostly for HD audio.

Also, looking to take old externals and make a RAID to archive movies and files. Then, used for an NVR with blue iris as well.

I’ve heard blue iris will need a beefy processor. I was looking at unRAID, but also sounds like blue iris wouldn’t run on it.

I have a lot of contradictions trying to do a few things.

@alanchow I started to rule out QNAP and Synology for a more DIY build so it would be a little more flexible with upgrades or swapping things out, and from what I could tell, affordable compared to the pre-built boxes. I see the QNAP is certified with Control4. What kind of control would that integration give you beyond the other options?

Still loving your Kodi Full driver and hope to get the most out of it with some better hardware soon :)

I actually moved from a prebuilt solution to QNAP.  Was just easier to maintain since everything was onboard on their OS.  I had a drive failure on QNAP and it notified me via push notification using their iOS app.  Pretty cool.

Anyway totally upto you.

Btw QNAP have a website that lists out its integration features for home automation systems so check it out.

https://www.qnap.com/static/landing/useng/smarthome/index.html

Don't underestimate the set and forget if the Synology or QNAP.

If all you are using it for us HD Audio then upgrade needs on ram or processor are minimal. If more HDD then you can swap discs and it rebuilds the raid.

Buy NAS HDD, black or red from WD

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS218+
Least expensive Synology.  More hard drive space/bays when you move up the line.
Just go to compare all and select 4K in the filters.
I'd get a DS4nn. You only need to stuff one or two drives in it to get started but can then add drives as you need more space and swap out smaller drives as drive prices fall etc far more easily that with only two bays.

Archived