C4 Forums | Control4

C4 driver for nVidia Shield

videostorm

We just updated our IRUSB faq to include full instructions on how to find new app URLs using Windows.  It is pretty easy.

The IRUSB mini drivers on our website allow you to easily change the URLs.  Better than waiting for us to update the main driver whenever an app changes.

http://www.video-storm.com/downloads/irusb_faq.htm

Just added IRUSB control to my Nvidia Shield. My sources are now all changing correctly but I can't seem to get any IR signals to register to to the  TV.  When I room OFF it does not send the IR code to my TV to turn it off. I have attached a screen shot of the connections. Is there something I missed in the set-up.

411228450_ScreenShot2018-12-01at2_01_06PM.thumb.png.6236632375e17d08e1bb90449ff298ac.png

5 minutes ago, videostorm said:

We are going to add support for the newer C4 universal mini drivers.  Maybe a week or two out.

Awesome!  I'll wait for this rather than using the IRUSB Mini Drivers from your site and changing the URLs.  Great news!

My IRUSB is suddenly not allowing control of my Nvidi Shield and I have (of course) misplaced the Shield remote. I have tried various power cycling and IRUSB pluggin/unplugging routines, but can't seem to get it to work again. How can I get it to work again?

On a similar note, my installer set it up and it was never really 100% stable, I have a feeling it has to do with how it was configured. I have access to Composer HE, is there anything I can do with HE to re-install or reconfigure the Video Storm C4 driver?

9 hours ago, BBLV said:

My IRUSB is suddenly not allowing control of my Nvidi Shield and I have (of course) misplaced the Shield remote. I have tried various power cycling and IRUSB pluggin/unplugging routines, but can't seem to get it to work again. How can I get it to work again?

On a similar note, my installer set it up and it was never really 100% stable, I have a feeling it has to do with how it was configured. I have access to Composer HE, is there anything I can do with HE to re-install or reconfigure the Video Storm C4 driver?

Unless it was set to to static or given an IP reservation in the router, the Shield has probably pulled a different IP address than what it had when the IrUSB was installed. That would be my first place to look.

Eric

5 hours ago, icefloe01 said:

Unless it was set to to static or given an IP reservation in the router, the Shield has probably pulled a different IP address than what it had when the IrUSB was installed. That would be my first place to look.

Eric

I got a replacement remote and was able to get the Shield updated (to v7.1) and the IrUSB is responding again. Really odd, not sure why it wouldn't respond to my SR260 remote without the Nvidia remote active...

@videostorm
Stupid question (forgive my stupidity as I don't have much experience with Android devices): How does the "press and hold" feature works on your driver? Im trying to get the same behavior as the Remote app when you press and hold the select button, it opens a context menu to Move, uninstall or add to favorites. I have it configured to "long press" but it does not open the context menu.

My setup is: Nvidia Shield TV 4k with latest updates, OS 2.10.5, Driver version 2.1, IRUSB firmware version V224.

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, mallom said:

@videostorm
Stupid question (forgive my stupidity as I don't have much experience with Android devices): How does the "press and hold" feature works on your driver? Im trying to get the same behavior as the Remote app when you press and hold the select button, it opens a context menu to Move, uninstall or add to favorites. I have it configured to "long press" but it does not open the context menu.

My setup is: Nvidia Shield TV 4k with latest updates, OS 2.10.5, Driver version 2.1, IRUSB firmware version V224.

Thanks! :)

Not a stupid question.  We didn't add long press on the select (enter) key.  I will add this as one of the "color" button options in the next driver revision.

The new IRUSB driver has been uploaded to our site this morning.  

• You can now use the new c4 "Universal" mini drivers with our app.  The irusb_minidrivers.zip file on our site contains all the ones that are compatible with this driver.  You can still use the older mini drivers as well.
  • App URLs have been internally updated for all apps.  
  • App launching has been delayed by half a second for compatibility reasons  (make sure the apps always launch)
  • Support for our upcoming SplashTiles Cloud service has been added  (new service will launch around the first of the year)

47 minutes ago, videostorm said:

• You can now use the new c4 "Universal" mini drivers with our app.  The irusb_minidrivers.zip file on our site contains all the ones that are compatible with this driver.  You can still use the older mini drivers as well.
  • App URLs have been internally updated for all apps.  
  • App launching has been delayed by half a second for compatibility reasons  (make sure the apps always launch)
  • Support for our upcoming SplashTiles Cloud service has been added  (new service will launch around the first of the year)

Awesome!  Thank you for doing this - I can't wait to give this a try!

Three follow-up questions as I have a few universal mini-drivers that aren't in the zip file that I use (Plex, HBO Go, NFL Sunday Ticket, Movies Anywhere, NFL, and VUDU): 

1. Are there plans to add support for these in the future, or is the current coverage as far as you're going?
  2. If there are no plans to add more, is there a way for me to manually add them, or should I just use the older mini-drivers instead?
  3. For Universal Mini Drivers that aren't supported, will they just fail to work, or is it that they're just untested?

App mini drivers are supported in two ways:

1. Some common apps have the URLs embedded in our driver.  You can see which ones are embedded by just looking at the list on the "color" buttons properties.  For these apps, use the universal drivers OR one of the custom drivers.  For the custom drivers, the APP ID property would be set to the NAME of the app (just like in the "color" button list).  
  2. For all other apps, you can use custom drivers with the APP ID set to the full QLAUNCH URL of the app.  We have detailed instructions on how to get these urls for any app.  http://www.video-storm.com/downloads/irusb_faq.htm

We aren't adding a lot to #1 right now.  You can use #2 for anything that isn't in #1.  If a universal driver isn't supported, the app won't launch (no URL).

7 hours ago, videostorm said:

I had some premature jubilation going on when I saw that Control4 has a universal mini driver for Slacker radio. Only to realize It doesn't work with a side-loaded app. Also, updating the IrUSB driver from 2.0 to 3.0 requires a controller reboot to get the RF_MINI_DRIVER connection to show up. Oh yeah, when I updated the driver I got error popup about a proxy binding error.  I told Composer to try and fix it and it said it was unsuccessful. Yet afterwards I got no red "X"s on anything so maybe it resolved itself after all. I'll attach a cropped screenshot of the error box after it attempted to fix it.

C4 error (2).png

15 hours ago, icefloe01 said:

I had some premature jubilation going on when I saw that Control4 has a universal mini driver for Slacker radio. Only to realize It doesn't work with a side-loaded app. Also, updating the IrUSB driver from 2.0 to 3.0 requires a controller reboot to get the RF_MINI_DRIVER connection to show up. Oh yeah, when I updated the driver I got error popup about a proxy binding error.  I told Composer to try and fix it and it said it was unsuccessful. Yet afterwards I got no red "X"s on anything so maybe it resolved itself after all. I'll attach a cropped screenshot of the error box after it attempted to fix it.

C4 error (2).png

We had to add new connection types to support the universal mini drivers.  That will require the director reboot after update.

Not sure why you get the "unresolved project" popup.  That is a question for C4 (project related, not driver related to my knowledge).

We had to add new connection types to support the universal mini drivers.  That will require the director reboot after update.
Not sure why you get the "unresolved project" popup.  That is a question for C4 (project related, not driver related to my knowledge).
I wonder if the connection types were the reason I got it to begin with. I never got a red "X" on the driver and after the reboot the new connection typed were available. I'm gonna go with the blind assumption that was what caused it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can't get the WatchESPN Universal Mini-driver to launch the app.  All of the other supported Universal Mini Drivers (Disney, Netflix, Plex, Amazon Prime Video, etc) seem to work.  What's the best way to approach troubleshooting why the WatchESPN app won't launch?  Connections are present, and the app is installed on the Shield.  Hitting the WatchESPN app changes the source to the nVidia Shield, the only thing is that the app doesn't launch.

3 hours ago, dw886 said:

I can't get the WatchESPN Universal Mini-driver to launch the app.  All of the other supported Universal Mini Drivers (Disney, Netflix, Plex, Amazon Prime Video, etc) seem to work.  What's the best way to approach troubleshooting why the WatchESPN app won't launch?  Connections are present, and the app is installed on the Shield.  Hitting the WatchESPN app changes the source to the nVidia Shield, the only thing is that the app doesn't launch.

Looks like a name mismatch.  Try pasting the following in your driver LUA tab:

urltableaf["WatchESPN"] = urltableaf["ESPN"]; 
urltablegp["WatchESPN"] = urltablegp["ESPN"]; 

If that fixes it, we can add this to the next driver rev.

16 hours ago, videostorm said:

Looks like a name mismatch.  Try pasting the following in your driver LUA tab:

urltableaf["WatchESPN"] = urltableaf["ESPN"]; 
urltablegp["WatchESPN"] = urltablegp["ESPN"]; 

If that fixes it, we can add this to the next driver rev.

I ran these and that seems like it did the trick - thanks!  Is there supposed to be any confirmation after running the command?

On this thread, it almost looks like it's possible to add custom qlaunch URLs to the driver via the LUA:

Is it possible to add new links into the driver by doing something like this, so that I can simply wire up the Universal MiniDrivers for the apps that aren't in the IRUSB driver?

urltablegp["MoviesAnywhere"]="QLAUNCH android-app://com.moviesanywhere.goo#Intent;component=com.moviesanywhere.goo/com.disney.brooklyn.tv.ui.main.TVMainActivity;end\r";

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.