C4 Forums | Control4

C4 driver for nVidia Shield

videostorm

nevermind, i'm an idiot.

i didn't have either app installed on the box yet.

sorry about that. Kodi and Hulu mini drivers both work great. thanks.

but still need Amazon Video mini driver. in meantime I'll try setting it up using the custom mini driver.

sorry and thanks again

Just now, GregC said:

nevermind, i'm an idiot.

i didn't have either app installed on the box yet.

sorry about that. Kodi and Hulu mini drivers both work great. thanks.

but still need Amazon Video mini driver. in meantime I'll try setting it up using the custom mini driver.

sorry and thanks again

on your box, if you go to amazon video app manually, does your "select" button work? 

bear with me, I'm setting up a new box using Chowmain's driver for the first time.

I was able to open the app using "select" but you're right, once in the amazon app the select button does not work. I'm using the c4 iphone app for control

Christopher,

My workaround until alanchow fixes it and adds an Amazon mini driver to his main driver is to use Videostorm's driver for Amazon.

I added a fake HDMI switch into the room and made connections to it for both Chowmain's and Videostorm's drivers. From the watch menu I can now select:

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, YoutubeTV, and Kodi

and all work

2 minutes ago, GregC said:

Christopher,

My workaround until alanchow fixes it and adds an Amazon mini driver to his main driver is to use Videostorm's driver for Amazon.

I added a fake HDMI switch into the room and made connections to it for both Chowmain's and Videostorm's drivers. From the watch menu I can now select:

and all work

cool i was having issues with plex and did exactly that :) we dont really use amazon that much, but i was logging into everything so wifey could use it and noticed the issue. if it were plex or netflix i'd be in trouble, but amazon not so much. 

good idea on the fix and hopefully we'll have an updated driver soon :)

3 hours ago, videostorm said:

@alanchowMight be the HID key used for select.  

hidkey["ENTER"] = "QHIDCODE2000065\r"        -- KEY_SELECT

is what we are using on our driver right now and it seems to be universal.

Have updated to this in a new version and pushed the update out to all sites

3 hours ago, GregC said:

Christopher,

and all work

Give me the QLAUNCH and i will create one for you (in fact i'll do any that you can give me).

Hi alanchow,

Just FYI - When i upgraded control4 to 2.10.1 your driver stopped working. I had to set the IP address field in order to get it working again even though the value in the field was correct.

if there is a better place to report bugs in the future please let me know.

thanks

greg

14 hours ago, GregC said:

thanks alanchow!

here's the QLAUNCH for Amazon Video on the shield:

QLAUNCH android-app://com.amazon.amazonvideo.livingroom.nvidia#Intent;component=com.amazon.amazonvideo.livingroom.nvidia/com.amazon.ignition.IgnitionActivity;end

Cool this is now added

9 hours ago, GregC said:

Hi alanchow,

Just FYI - When i upgraded control4 to 2.10.1 your driver stopped working. I had to set the IP address field in order to get it working again even though the value in the field was correct.

if there is a better place to report bugs in the future please let me know.

thanks

greg

We do miss alot of posts so forums arn't the best way to contact us.  The best way is via the contact us page on our website.  It goes through to both Richard and myself so we usually answer within a few hours (if we're not sleeping).

Our driver (Video Storm) offers:

• Fast and responsive IP control for menu navigation / all button support in any app
  • Direct app launching via commands, buttons, or mini drivers
  • IR control of any external device (just like a C4 IR extender)

Alan's driver does all the above, plus it gives you some amazing features for the KODI app.  @alanchow  please elaborate 

fwiw, here's my assessment: 

- both drivers are awesome ,and provide super fast control over IP and direct app launching.

- videostorm driver is less "sexy" with the shield icon. my guess is that it's designed for all android tv devices whereas alan's driver has individual drivers for 4 or 5 separate units such as the foxtel box, xiaomi box, etc. 

- videostorm driver requires IP address to be placed in the connections field instead of the main driver "page" . not a huge deal, just a bit different

- [disclaimer: i use tons of alan's drivers and they're all pretty f'n amazing] alan's driver does not have the ability to re-assign the "guide" button to return home. this is what really reduces my ability to enjoy alan's driver in this case. i'm sure he will update the driver to accommodate this in the future, though. 

- videostorm driver has the ability to map the color buttons to specific apps in the main driver page instead of custom programming, this is cool, but of course you're limited to the apps they've considered, which may not work perfectly for certain countries/users

- alan's driver supports kodi full but does not yet support plex full (he's working on it IIRC). if you're using kodi then alan's driver is the winner as videostorm mentioned above

just my 0.02 and i appreciate not only alan's dedication to building a bad ass driver (yet again), but also videostorm's awesome community support that went from "hey will anyone use this if we build it" (referring to the IRUSB) all the way to shipping the product and providing a solid driver set with it. thanks to you both :)

6 hours ago, videostorm said:

Our driver (Video Storm) offers:

• Fast and responsive IP control for menu navigation / all button support in any app
  • Direct app launching via commands, buttons, or mini drivers
  • IR control of any external device (just like a C4 IR extender)

Alan's driver does all the above, plus it gives you some amazing features for the KODI app.  @alanchow  please elaborate 

Actually our Kodi driver only has the following

• IR control of any external device
  • SMS Style Text Entry
  • Kodi App launching

We decided to not implement mini app launching into Kodi as the driver is bloated enough already.

Our own IRUSB driver however does have mini apps (along with IR control, fast control, SMS style text entry).  With the method we used to develop the driver adding new mini apps does not involve updating the IRUSB driver.  We just create a new mini app driver with the new parameters entered into the driver's properties.  In fact no lua modification is required.  Anyone can create their own mini app using our architecture.  Just replace the default in the property and change the name and icon to suit and you're done.

If however you don't want to make your own we do have a version you can use as a favourite (just a star as an icon).  You can add as many instances of these as you want and just change the property.  It will persist across reboots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.