C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 new user

k3nnis

Hi All,

I'm new to this C4 stuff :) I'm from Australia. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Basically I would like to give C4 a try and maybe expand it later on. I have just moved into my new house.

I have cat6 points in most of my house. It's a double storey house. I also have a AC ubiquiti wifi AP.

All my cat 6 data points terminates in a network rack in my garage.

Whole house has been installed with LED 7W downlights.

My question is, can I purchase a EA1,3,5 to make it work for my setup? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars first up, would just like to get a feel of the system and perhaps expand in the future.

My setup:

I have a dedicated HT room with a JVC RS46/X35 projector, and a fixed screen. This room has 4 downlights. And a few devices like BD player, apple tv, tv tuner etc. Can I have it so that the EA controller can make it so that I consolidate into 1 remote or even use my iPAD/iPhone to control all the devices plus activities? Also having it to turn off my downlights when movie is playing and perhaps have the lights come back on when movie is paused or not played. Currently my lights are just using a normal light switch with a dimmer for my HT room. With the lighting do I need to rewire everything?

I have a synology NAS which stores movies, music and photos

I was thinking just getting an EA1 to start off for the HT room.

I also have a lounge outside with a 75" samsung tv and various devices like xbox one, etc etc. 

I also have a sonos play1, will probably get another sonos play 1 for the master bedroom upstairs. 

I also have a panasonic VT60 plasma tv upstairs in the leisure area.

Also I will have a CCTV system with a NVR that controls my cat6 POE cctv cameras, NVR will be situated in the leisure upstairs.

Now can the EA1 control all these or do I need to step up to the EA3 and EA5?

Also maybe can I get the EA1 now just for the HT room and then later add a EA3 or EA5 to do the rest?

Sorry for a long post would just like to know how this will work with C4.

And is all of this controlled via the EA series mesh network wirelessly?

Cheers,

K.

me personally, I would go for an Ea3 to start just so you have the processing power. I would then get an io extender to add more ir controllable items

so my setup would be to start 

SR260 controlling my Theater, add some lighting control too 

Sr260 controlling my 75" and the lounge area, Lighting control as well. maybe have some speakers installed or utilize the sonos.

this would get your feet wet, interest peaked and hopefully add some more automation.

Thanks Tekki. For the lighting, is it the case of installing a C4 controller into the switch plate?

Also for the above programming, how much do you think a dealer will normally charge? 

And can the EA3 or EA1 give me on screen menu for C4 for my tv and projector? i.e. navigate through them.

the ea3 will give you a Gui on screen for navigation, however after the first couple times using it, you will bypass and just look at the remote control. just my opinion, that most customers tell me. however I do use my own gui to quickly look at my cameras if my phone isn't nearby

As far as lighting, your local dealer will help you choose the proper Dimmer/Switch for the Load it would be controlling.

Programming, start to finish will vary on the customization to be honest. minimum 2 hours for initial setup and program, but then add in all the customization that can be done.

hit watch movie, and everything will be set for you, sound and video parameters, sources turn on and input selections completed, movie starts playing, and lights automatically dim. much more can be programmed as well, All depends on how custom,

6 hours ago, k3nnis said:

Hi All,

I'm new to this C4 stuff :) I'm from Australia. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Basically I would like to give C4 a try and maybe expand it later on. I have just moved into my new house.

I have cat6 points in most of my house. It's a double storey house. I also have a AC ubiquiti wifi AP.

All my cat 6 data points terminates in a network rack in my garage.

Whole house has been installed with LED 7W downlights.

My question is, can I purchase a EA1,3,5 to make it work for my setup? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars first up, would just like to get a feel of the system and perhaps expand in the future.

My setup:

I have a dedicated HT room with a JVC RS46/X35 projector, and a fixed screen. This room has 4 downlights. And a few devices like BD player, apple tv, tv tuner etc. Can I have it so that the EA controller can make it so that I consolidate into 1 remote or even use my iPAD/iPhone to control all the devices plus activities? Also having it to turn off my downlights when movie is playing and perhaps have the lights come back on when movie is paused or not played. Currently my lights are just using a normal light switch with a dimmer for my HT room. With the lighting do I need to rewire everything?

I have a synology NAS which stores movies, music and photos

I was thinking just getting an EA1 to start off for the HT room.

I also have a lounge outside with a 75" samsung tv and various devices like xbox one, etc etc. 

I also have a sonos play1, will probably get another sonos play 1 for the master bedroom upstairs. 

I also have a panasonic VT60 plasma tv upstairs in the leisure area.

Also I will have a CCTV system with a NVR that controls my cat6 POE cctv cameras, NVR will be situated in the leisure upstairs.

Now can the EA1 control all these or do I need to step up to the EA3 and EA5?

Also maybe can I get the EA1 now just for the HT room and then later add a EA3 or EA5 to do the rest?

Sorry for a long post would just like to know how this will work with C4.

And is all of this controlled via the EA series mesh network wirelessly?

Cheers,

K.

First thing I would do is call Dave@coolabode.  Hands down one of the best consults for my needs...I'm in the U.S. and I don't mind working with the time delay.  I know there are tons of incredible installers in the states but for your situation it would be perfect.  He won't oversell you and is super reasonable on pricing.  PM me if you need his contact info

Thanks guys. To get the on screen GUI how do I need to connect the ea3 to my tv? Hdmi? That means the ea3 will need to be next to my screen? Is this correct? I was planning to have the controller rack mounted in my garage. I do have cat6 points where my tv/screens are so I guess I could use a cat6 to hdmi adaptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But again - do you really need the on-screen GUI or would the remote plus phone/tablet suffice?

And you are aware that you need a dealer to do all of this as C4 does not sell to the end user?  That is implied in the thread but never explicitly stated.  So your first step should be to find a dealer that you are comfortable dealing with.  Find a good local dealer - maybe talk to Alan Chow as he is a C4 guru and is based in Aus - I am sure he knows some of the dealers.

Archived