C4 Forums | Control4

EdgeRouter PoE

Elvis

Building a C4 network from scratch, I was going to go with ERPoe‑5 so that it would power up to 3 Ubiquiti AP's and attach the router to my 24 port unmanaged gigabit switch.

I can't find an updated "Approved Router" list -- and the last one I found has no routers from UBNT (or I missed it if it does.) Pakedge RE-2 at $420+ seems very excessive for a router.

Building a C4 network from scratch, I was going to go with ERPoe‑5 so that it would power up to 3 Ubiquiti AP's and attach the router to my 24 port unmanaged gigabit switch.
I can't find an updated "Approved Router" list -- and the last one I found has no routers from UBNT (or I missed it if it does.) Pakedge RE-2 at $420+ seems very excessive for a router.

We use all unifi products and they work great with control 4. The Erpoe-5 will work fine with your ap’s and control 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also the USG line from Ubiquiti.  The advantage of this is that it integrates into the Unifi Controller software along with your WAPs and Unifi switches, if you choose to buy them.  For some reason the Edgerouter does not integrate into the Unifi Controller.

I also use a Edge Route POE 5 port router.  Mine is a couple years old, but mine won't support the right voltage for powering my APs directly.  I still had to use the injectors.  

If that is important to you just double check the specs.  I'll eventually get around to ordering a separate POE switch.

Outside of that I've been super happy with performance.

22 hours ago, Elvis said:

Thanks for mentioning this. I would have expected it to be integrated.

The Edgemax and UniFi line are "identical" hardware wise between the USG router and ERL/POE router. They are managed differently. UniFi access points will work fine with the Edgemax line of routers, but you won't have a single pane glass of management. 

I went with Unifi for better integration with my ISP's ubnt backhaul equipment on my roof. He gave me the USG and a cloud key. I got the fan-less unifi 8 port PoE+ 150w switch and a couple of APs inbound. 

Thanks for the help.

40 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I went with Unifi for better integration with my ISP's ubnt backhaul equipment on my roof. He gave me the USG and a cloud key. I got the fan-less unifi 8 port PoE+ 150w switch and a couple of APs inbound. 

Thanks for the help.

You will love the unifi gear

@Elvis - Let us know how it goes.  Do you really need the cloud key?  I run the Controller software in a Docker on my unRAID server and you can run it on pretty much any PC if you have any computers running in your house 24/7.

It is nice to be able to see everything in one UI - although I don't have Unifi switches so some of the wired devices don't always show up or show up correctly.

On a related note, I just got a fingbox that I am using to monitor my network.  It is pretty good so far, but it would be nice if the Unifi Controller software had all of the functionality of a fingbox, especially around notification if devices join or leave the LAN.

Got the USG and Cloud Key from my ISP (haven't received them yet) as a gift. I don't know if the Cloud Key has anything to do with me getting access to his equipment on my roof or not. Since the roof radio has be plugged into the WAN port on the USG, the PoE switch might not be necessary. But I want to get rid of my current switch which is loud as heck. Thought it would be handy to not have injectors for two APs. I'm sure the extra ports might be used for PoE cameras or something later. Regardless, it'll be quieter in here as the rack sits close to my desk in my office.

Super excited to get it and get it up and running. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 minutes ago, zaphod said:

On a related note, I just got a fingbox that I am using to monitor my network.

I backed them and got a Fingbox, too, some time back. This thing is kind of a hack, though, so I'd keep an eye on it. This functionality needs to be in the USG or a router. To block things it spoofs them, which I don't like. You could take it to work and prank the heck out of people though (and probably get in a lot of trouble). I still haven't figured out how it can do bandwidth analysis without being a hack. Bottom line, I'm very leery of it and no longer leave it plugged in. 

3 hours ago, Elvis said:

I backed them and got a Fingbox, too, some time back. This thing is kind of a hack, though, so I'd keep an eye on it. This functionality needs to be in the USG or a router. To block things it spoofs them, which I don't like. You could take it to work and prank the heck out of people though (and probably get in a lot of trouble). I still haven't figured out how it can do bandwidth analysis without being a hack. Bottom line, I'm very leery of it and no longer leave it plugged in. 

I agree that this functionality should be on the USG router.  I have just had mine for a week and what I find useful is getting notification for when devices go on or off the LAN.  This helps you to know if a device has crashed or been unplugged or stopped functioning for some reason.  It is also useful for fencing - assuming that someone always carries their phone you can know when they have come or left your house.  I don't intend to use the blocking functionality.

I hope they add more functionality to allow it to inventory your LAN and all devices, and even map out all of your fixed devices on a photo of your home - I kind of do this with the Unifi controller software as I have uploaded the Google Earth overhead shot of my house and placed my WAPs in their correct locations.  

9 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Is that properly in the USG now.

It is in the USG, but I think the interface to get to it is different. I don't have mine yet, but I think you do it by individual client (machine) versus having a DHCP reservation page.

It is in the USG, but I think the interface to get to it is different. I don't have mine yet, but I think you do it by individual client (machine) versus having a DHCP reservation page.
Thanks.

I'm considering the cloudkey and USG to replace my airport (I use their WAPs and have WiFi disabled on the airport)

Further the airport is realistically just hands out dhcp and passes wan/lan traffic as the lan all hangs off a planet switch.

Get better monitoring tools but this is mostly stable so this is a 'nice to do' plus $200 plus a few hours work switching out and reserving for devices that need this and that my dealer likes in certain places across his client base.

I'm running out of reservation space on the airport though.

The administration is all done on the controller. There is no config within the USG, besides a basic WAN setting.

Put a Cloudkey, you can also run stuff in the cloud but honestly not worth it for minimal cost of the Cloudkey have it on site, and running on a PC is kind of a joke.

The administration is all done on the controller. There is no config within the USG, besides a basic WAN setting.
Put a Cloudkey, you can also run stuff in the cloud but honestly not worth it for minimal cost of the Cloudkey have it on site, and running on a PC is kind of a joke.
But the controller runs on the cloudkey?

4 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

But the controller runs on the cloudkey?

Yes, if you have one. Otherwise it runs on a PC, Mac, or Pi. 

I googled DHCP USG and CloudKey and got a lot of info. I should shut up, since I don't have anything yet. Sorry.

Yes, if you have one. Otherwise it runs on a PC, Mac, or Pi.  I googled DHCP USG and CloudKey and got a lot of info. I should shut up, since I don't have anything yet. Sorry.

I've read a chunk on this but there seem to be a bunch of historic posts on how this solution was missing DHCP.  

Being as that is how my C4 network is managed so the controller can find many devices that part needs to be seamless.

I have the WAP it's great. Occasionally I log on to it but it has been set and forget.

AR some point I need a second one for the kids bedroom (a 12 in thick brick wall causes massive WiFi signal loss there) but as they are 3 and 7 right now it is not a today thing. Then I need zero hand off functions etc.

Seems the cloud key vs time and materials for a pi solution is a no brainer

5 hours ago, SMHarman said:

I've read a chunk on this but there seem to be a bunch of historic posts on how this solution was missing DHCP.  

DHCP reservations are available - in the controller, click on the client, then click on Configuration-Network and check the Fixed IP address box.  Once you do that you can enter an IP address - by default it populates the IP address with the current address assigned to the client.  I also have done reservations for addresses outside of the range.

5 hours ago, Elvis said:

Yes, if you have one. Otherwise it runs on a PC, Mac, or Pi. 

IMHO the best way to do this is to run it in a Docker container on Linux.  I use unRAID as my main file and media server and the Unifi controller runs as a Docker on that server.  You can also run stuff like SageTV, Plex, Apache, etc in Docker containers.

@SMHarman This guy's video was very, very helpful. I did my DHCP reservations on the Client page, instead of the Device page. Without this video I would have been completely stuck. Finding things is not that intuitive, but once you see it -- it is easy to grasp how they do it. Click on a client to see Properties, click on Configuration, Network and pick a static IP address. Just be careful, the Properties (sidebar on the right) stacks -- so you can have several Clients' properties open, which could result in changing one client when you think it is something else. 

So far, very happy.

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

@SMHarman This guy's video was very, very helpful. I did my DHCP reservations on the Client page, instead of the Device page. Without this video I would have been completely stuck. Finding things is not that intuitive, but once you see it -- it is easy to grasp how they do it. Click on a client to see Properties, click on Configuration, Network and pick a static IP address. Just be careful, the Properties (sidebar on the right) stacks -- so you can have several Clients' properties open, which could result in changing one client when you think it is something else. 

So far, very happy.

This guy does a great job with his video's....  Very nicely done.

Archived