C4 Forums | Control4

Triad vs. C4 Audio Matrix

Dr. Venkman

Pretty soon I’m going to get around to adding an audio matrix to my system.

I’m confident that 8x8 will be enough:

• Some of the sources will come from the video matrix, and the rest will come from the EA-5/Sonos.
  • 8 output zones won’t get every bedroom, but it will get all the common areas and the master.  The kids rooms and the guest room should be fine with something else (Sonos, maybe).

For no real strong reason (other than that I’m aware of them and have confidence in the quality), I’m considering the Control4 8x8 Matrix Amp or the new Triad matrix paired with the new Triad 8-zone Amp.

Is there anything I should be aware of when choosing between them?

• I’m no ultra-audiophile, so I’m confident that either will provide audio quality that’s plenty good for us.
  • I like that the Control4 unit is a little cheaper than the Triad setup.
  • I like that the Triad setup would be 2x 1U, rather than the 4U control4 (there’s not a lot of space in my rack).
  • The Triad setup strikes me as a little more flexible (separate units, ability to combine zones for 2.1, digital and analog inputs)
  • Probably the most important things to me in terms of function are:
    • Responsiveness (announcements, turning on, switching zones)
    • Good volume control
    • Ability to sync the audio properly - both with other rooms and with the TV (lip sync).

Any thoughts or recommendations?  (Even if it’s a recommendation to go another way all together).

Thanks much.

I have the Triad setup in my house and I couldn't be happier. Great audio quality; audio stays very clean at very high volume levels, I was very impressed. It's very flexible, you have pre-outs that can go to a receiver, you can't do that with the matrix amp. The selling point: Announcements work like a dream! No delay, announcements play as soon as somebody rings the bell. Super smooth volume control and perfect sync between the zones; good EQ control, etc. Get the Triad setup and don't look back.

I have the 8x8 Triad AMS. I do not have the Triad Amp. I have the C4 4-zone matrix (with the matrix part turned "off" so it acts like a 4-zone amp) and two receivers, each driving two zones. So I get 8 zones out of it.

I am very happy with the results. The AMS gives you 8 inputs, 4 can be digital (in any combination not to exceed 4 digital in and 8 total in). For me this is room to grow for inputs. The fact that one output can go to a multi-zone AV receiver and supply more than 1 zone was an unexpected plus that it works, and works well.

The 8 zone Triad amp would obviously be your cleanest solution. But for every AV receiver you feed off the Triad AMS, you are wasting a zone on the Triad amp. An expensive device. You can probably source your AVRs off the EA-5, Sonos, etc. and avoid this. Consult with your integrator.

I can't hear the difference between my old setup (EA-3 > C4 matrix amp > speakers) vs new (EA-3 > Triad AMS > C4 amp > speakers). So if you don't want the features that the Triad AMS provides (digital in, etc.) you could save money with a C4 8-zone matrix amp. I just hate buying "old tech" if I can afford the new stuff.

Thanks, all. 

I was hoping to avoid using a receiver.  Do those of you that use stereo (or 2.1) sound to watch TV/Movies find it does the job (assuming a good set of speakers connected to the amp)?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but I see two primary options on this:

• Use stereo (through the triad amp) for the TVs.  The same speakers would be used for whole house audio when applicable.  I’m thinking these speakers would be mounted in the wall on either side of the TV.
  • Use the existing soundbars for the TVs and install ceiling speakers for whole house audio in the TV rooms (connected to the amp).  

Stereo through the amp strikes me as cleaner, as long as the sound for TV/movies works well over the stereo amp.

Also, I have the Leaf 862 HDMI matrix (7 sources are currently in use, and right now we have 4 TVs).  Am I thinking about this correctly:

• I would need to run several (though maybe not all 8) connections from the HDMI matrix to the audio matrix over the stereo outputs.  However many I run is how many video sources can be in use at once (in rooms that use the amp for audio, anyway).  In this scenario, I assume any TVs that get their audio over HDMI would always work and not impact the audio switching.
  • Or should I run all 8 and plan to get a larger audio matrix?
  • Or should I run from the EA-5 to the SPDIF inputs on the LU862 and try to handle the audio switching in there? Obviously, I lose the use of the analog outputs on the controller, which is not desirable.  This also loses the other flexibility on the Triad audio matrix (zone grouping for 2.1, etc.).  There's also a reasonable chance I'm misunderstanding the outputs/inputs on the LU862 altogether.

Also, should one of the outputs on the audio matrix go to Sonos, or should I go from the EA-5 to Sonos?

Is there any reason for the outputs from Sonos to go directly into the audio matrix, or should they run thru the controller?

Is there any need to have audio running into the controller (either from the Leaf or the audio matrix)?

Sorry for the length - I've obviously confused myself thinking about this, and I really appreciate any input.  I just find that it woks much better if I'm somewhat informed when talking to my dealer.  

Thanks.

Archived