C4 Forums | Control4

Ecobee Blackwire driver - Thermostat not showing online

jfh

Installed Blackwire Ecobee driver to replace existing driverslab version.  

Have Network, Thermostat and multiple instances of remote sensor drivers.  Blackwire Application installed on Ecobee site.  Temperature and Temperature control bound to Thermostat in each room. Unlike the DL drivers, there is no binding between the two (network and Thermostat) drivers.

Thermostat driver shows no Thermostat name or ID and shows Online as FALSE.   Every remote sensor has sensor name blank and only Sensor ID available is None (presumably because Thermostat is offline)

Network driver shows updates for Fan, humidity, hvac status every 5 seconds for bindingID=10

if I run check for devices network driver properly identifys number of thermostats (1) and device name, but Thermostat show offline and there is no temp display on the navigator.

How do I get the driver Thermostat driver to recognize the Thermostat Name and ID and come online?

In LUA network driver is showing an error that the authorization has expired waiting for the user to authorize even though the Ecobee site shows the Blackwire ap is active.  This error is repeating.  I have tried deleting the ap from Ecobee site and requesting another PIN, but get the same result.  Thermostat is still offline.

However, the network driver is retrieving the proper info for my Thermostat - I watched it report going into state = Heat when my Ecobee turned the real Thermostat on.  So, it appears the bindingID of 10 that I think the driver is creating isnt actually bound/connected?

In the future you may want to pursue our official lines of support both during and after hours. Posting on a random forum on a Friday night and hoping someone drops by probably isn't the best method.

This is also known issue and we could have helped you faster than the 15 minutes it took to post your second post. We should have a fix for it next week.

2 minutes ago, seth_j said:

In the future you may want to pursue our official lines of support both during and after hours. Posting on a random forum on a Friday night and hoping someone drops by probably isn't the best method.

This is also known issue and we could have helped you faster than the 15 minutes it took to post your second post. We should have a fix for it next week.

Sorry, did not look at your website for support options.  My bad.  But perhaps this thread will help someone that has the same problem.

In your case the issue Seth is talking about is not correct. We are seeing a random issues with big power cycles and long internet disconnects where our license server gets angry and requires you to click set on the license key again.

Your project was missing the binding from the Ecobee network driver to the thermostat. I made the connection and with in about 10 seconds it pulled down the thermostat information and started pushing it to the thermostat driver. It looks like it is an amazing 63F inside :D 

I sent a NAV fresh to your system so you should see that update.  

FYI the remote sensors need to be assigned before they can work. There is a drop down with the sensor code that needs to be set. Then an additional NAV refresh can be sent to make it all look perfect. 

I appreciate the incredibly responsive support late on a Friday night.  I shut everything down to go to bed.  Imagine my surprise when I looked up a few minutes later and saw a temp being displayed on the T3.

Given the debug output, I thought there was supposed to be some sort of binding between the two drivers. Turns out there wasn't.  Sadly, as an HE user, I can't correct that type of issue ;)

Although this wasn't a Blackwire problem perhaps the problem description will help someone in the future since the error messages confuse the situation a bit.  Apparently there is no "Hey Bozo, your drivers aren't connected" message :)

Apologies  to both Seth and Kevin and thanks to both for terrific customer focused support!

I appreciate the incredibly responsive support late on a Friday night.  I shut everything down to go to bed.  Imagine my surprise when I looked up a few minutes later and saw a temp being displayed on the T3.
Given the debug output, I thought there was supposed to be some sort of binding between the two drivers. Turns out there wasn't.  Sadly, as an HE user, I can't correct that type of issue
Although this wasn't a Blackwire problem perhaps the problem description will help someone in the future since the error messages confuse the situation a bit.  Apparently there is no "Hey Bozo, your drivers aren't connected" message
Apologies  to both Seth and Kevin and thanks to both for terrific customer focused support!
Or your dealer could have just rtfm. All the info was there...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Or your dealer could have just rtfm. All the info was there...

In fairness to my dealer, he did.  When he went to make the connection, it didn't exist (that was before I had authorized the Blackwire ap on Ecobee).  I now suspect the binding isn't created until after authorization.  when it did, its obviously an easy connection which BW support did for me quickly.

Matbe there is a different install doc for dealers, but in what I read in HE it isn't clear that a connection has to be made or when it can be made, at least not that I saw in multiple readings late on a Friday night after a beer or two ... ;)

Im not sure I like the idea of binding points being created dynamically, especially if it means I need a dealer involved if the Ecobee ap ever had to be reauthorized.

But I finally have my Ecobee working the way I expected it to after continued frustration with the other driver.  I miss the schedule info and the ability to turn the screen on and off programmatically, but those are minor issues.

In fairness to my dealer, he did.  When he went to make the connection, it didn't exist (that was before I had authorized the Blackwire ap on Ecobee).  I now suspect the binding isn't created until after authorization.  when it did, its obviously an easy connection which BW support did for me quickly.
Matbe there is a different install doc for dealers, but in what I read in HE it isn't clear that a connection has to be made and when it can be made, at least not that I saw in multiple readings late on a Friday night after a beer or two ...
Im not sure I like the idea of binding points being created dynamically, especially if it means I need a dealer involved if the Ecobee ap ever had to be reauthorized.
But I finally have my Ecobee working the way I expected it to after continued frustration with the other driver.  I miss the schedule info and the ability to turn the screen on and off programmatically, but those are minor issues.
That is semi true. In the direction it tells you to authorize the driver before the step for bindings. Bindings are dynamic and not created until post authorization because how could they exist first?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That is semi true. In the direction it tells you to authorize the driver before the step for bindings. Bindings are dynamic and not created until post authorization because how could they exist first?

Ok, maybe I missed that detail on the order. But that's not terribly convenient for the dealer or the homeowner since they both have to be involved unless the dealer is logging on to the customers  Ecobee account to install/authorize the ap.  Not a big deal in the long run, but I can't be the first person to have made this mistake.  

My confusion was magnified when the driver was reporting authorization errors when none actually existed.  From the output it looked like the binding had been created, but there was nothing to indicate the real problem was that a connection needed to be made.  Maybe that's not something possible/easy to determine, but if debug mode had said "hey dummy, there is no connection between the drivers" it would have been more useful than telling me there was an authorization error when there wasn't.

For every other driver, I ask the dealer to install and make necessary bindings (which aren't dynamically created).  Then I can do the rest of the setup in HE, enter license keys, etc.  it certainly wasn't clear in this case it had to be different.

Archived