C4 Forums | Control4

What's the best Apple 4K TV driver?

wappinghigh

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

look I don't expect ya'll to help me if you don't want to but don't come on with all this condesceding stuff an all, like I am some sort of tech moron ... that I enjoy wasting your time... and that we wouldn't have tried to pair the device already like for hours  and just pass comments that "it just works" when it clearly doesn't at my place and when it doesn't look like the driver has been updated since Feb 2016.... 

yawn

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Answer this question.

I would like a full and frank answer. Not yawns. Just the facts. 

Has the AppleTV driver been updated since Feb 2016?

Yes or no? Thank You 

No, nothing has changed. Apple doesn't like CI, and never will. They don't care about this.  Get a media player from a company that doesn't want to own the whole experience. 

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Get a media player from a company that doesn't want to own the whole experience. 

This is where I humbly would beg to differ.. Apple has many many customers. Are you about to argue Control4 can simply ignore this fact and it's "OK" to have a driver sitting there 18 months without an upgrade - for a device such as this with potential Millions of customers? 

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

This is where I humbly would beg to differ.. Apple has many many customers. Are you about to argue Control4 can simply ignore this fact and it's "OK" to have a driver sitting there 18 months without an upgrade - for a device such as this with potential Millions of customers? 

THERE IS NOTHING TO UPGRADE. IT WORKS 

7 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Nope. Not at my place it doesn't. In any case Documentation within  the driver is old. Relates to previous ATV3. That has now been proven as a factual statement.. Cheers 

Outdated documentation and one user with problems doesn't mean the driver doesn't work.  Have your dealer contact support.

19 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Outdated documentation and one user with problems doesn't mean the driver doesn't work.  Have your dealer contact support.

Sure will do. (It aint one user BTW) Another fact. Someone else has been on about this in another thread :) .. Hey look I aint defending Apple and it's closed API here. NO WAY> ya'll know about my opinons on that with HDMI and the Hollywood cronies and all.. But that is no excuse for a company like Control4 not to be 100% up to date with their documentation and driver... For an important device like this? Nope. You want your side of the story 100% hot and current.. That way when the law suits come (and they will)... against companies like Apple and other media distribution companies for undertaking restrictive and anti-competitive behaviour - that ends up costing smaller companies like Control4 business and multi millions of dollars.. (and Apple closed API here is yet another example)  ...you've kept your drivers up to date to prove it aint yours (Control4's) problem. :) Cheers. 

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Sure will do. (It aint one user BTW) Another fact. Someone else has been on about this in another thread :) .. Hey look I aint defending Apple and it's closed API here. NO WAY> ya'll know about my opinons on that with HDMI and the Hollywood cronies and all.. But that is no excuse for a company like Control4 not to be up to be 100% date with their documentation and driver... For an important device like this? Nope. You want your side of the story 100% hot and current.. That way when the law suits come (and they will)... against companies like Apple and other media players for undertaking restrictive and anti-competitive behaviour... behaviour that ends up costing smaller companies like Control4 business and dollars.. (and Apple closed API here is yet another example)  ...you've kept your drivers up to date to prove it aint yours (Control4's) problem. :) Cheers. 

if you have no update, you don't update.  you don;t update code to change a 3 to a 4. sorry, I disagree.  Ok, go Sue Apple, Go sue Hollywood..blah blah blah..Control4, sue apple...I just buy products that work and let me integrate. I speak with my $$$$

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

if you have no update, you don't update.  you don;t update code to change a 3 to a 4. sorry, I disagree.  Ok, go Sue Apple, Go sue Hollywood..blah blah blah..Control4, sue apple...I just buy products that work and let me integrate. I speak with my $$$$

Fair enough Dude. All good. :) 

I've used the Apple TV IP driver (version 106) in at least 6 different systems with the newest Apple TV (4th gen) with no issues whatsoever. This is including the one I am using at my home right now.

Add the ATV IP to the driver, Initiate remote pairing on the Apple TV, finish it in Composer, done.

This tells me there is either an issue on your network, an issue with your Apple TV, or an issue with your dealer.

10 hours ago, THawes said:

I've used the Apple TV IP driver (version 106) in at least 6 different systems with the newest Apple TV (4th gen) with no issues whatsoever. This is including the one I am using at my home right now.

Add the ATV IP to the driver, Initiate remote pairing on the Apple TV, finish it in Composer, done.

This tells me there is either an issue on your network, an issue with your Apple TV, or an issue with your dealer.

Dont forget to assign a static ip or DHCP reservation to the appleTV :)

17 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No, nothing has changed. Apple doesn't like CI, and never will. They don't care about this.  Get a media player from a company that doesn't want to own the whole experience. 

I have to agree with this.  For the most part I am an Apple fanboi but I don't think the ATV is a very useful product, and they cannot control the whole AV experience unless they also have an actual Apple TV (whatever happened to that?) and an Apple AVR.  Even Apple themselves have admitted that the ATV is just a hobby, at least for now.  Apple wants to own too much of the experience and I still want to have full ownership of my content as I never know when they will turn off some stuff that I want - so I want to be able to play my own files using SageTV, Plex, Kodi, etc.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, wappinghigh said:

This sort of blanket statement frankly gives me the pips. Why would I bother to come on here and waste all of your time if the current driver "just worked"? :rolleyes:

That was my point. It DOES work. Many of us have installed it just fine with no more documentation then what is with the driver. 

So instead of spreading false information and saying Control 4 has a problem, just ask for help. 

1 minute ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

That was my point. It DOES work. Many of us have installed it just fine with no more documentation then what is with the driver. 

So instead of spreading false information and saying Control 4 has a problem, just ask for help. 

TRUTH

Archived