C4 Forums | Control4

What's the best Apple 4K TV driver?

wappinghigh

Hi, I have an Apple TV 4K that I am trying to pair with the Home Automation Controler EA-5 from Control4. The driver from the Control4 director is actually talking to the Apple TV 4K box but when I send the request to pair it, the Apple TV 4K box will not accept the default code 0000. Is there a different default pairing code that should be used? I have updated the Apple TV 4K and reset factory defaults several times, I have deleted the Apple TV driver (version 106) several times), still nothing. When I enter the 0000 code the Apple TV responds that code is not recognized. I contacted tech support, still could not figure out what the issue might be. Maybe somebody in this forum can provide some hints, please. How did you solve this binding issue in the when you experienced the same behavior as I see on my system? Thanks

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This driver as one annoying problem, the PREV button on the Control4 remote is link to the HOME command. Everyone know that the menu button is the back button on Apple TV & that the Home button actually take you to the Menu

The PREV button should have been linked to the Menu command. Everyone else got this right, except the person who wrote this driver. 

35 minutes ago, STAX said:

This driver as one annoying problem, the PREV button on the Control4 remote is link to the HOME command. Everyone know that the menu button is the back button on Apple TV & that the Home button actually take you to the Menu

The PREV button should have been linked to the Menu command. Everyone else got this right, except the person who wrote this driver. 

Yes, and no questions get answered on these forums.

This sort of blanket statement frankly gives me the pips. Why would I bother to come on here and waste all of your time if the current driver "just worked"? :rolleyes:

The same reason you’d waste everyone’s time ranting about the “HDMI cartel” and all the law suits others should file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 23/11/2017 at 8:59 AM, STAX said:

Yes that is 100% correct but no wait according to a few dealers here everything about the driver is absolutely perfect! Wonder if they have fed that back to C4 central as well? :rolleyes:

On 23/11/2017 at 2:14 PM, ILoveC4 said:

The same reason you’d waste everyone’s time ranting about the “HDMI cartel” and all the law suits others should file?

Yep SURE WOULD HELP the local Salt Lake C community in getting back some much needed tech dollars that are rightfully THEIRS and offer a huge boost to the local community not to mention the flow on effects might even employ a few more local unemployed kids doing some useful stuff rather than hanging out skateboarding down the local mal car park so why don't you get on board? Heck the extra dollars could have em testing, then updating drivers like this instead of twittering their lives away on some home based Xbox or Playstation.. Or do you actually enjoy seeing all the money going to the Hollywood crony Billionaires? Make Utah great again :) 

On 23/11/2017 at 8:35 AM, nitelon said:

Hi, I have an Apple TV 4K that I am trying to pair with the Home Automation Controler EA-5 from Control4. The driver from the Control4 director is actually talking to the Apple TV 4K box but when I send the request to pair it, the Apple TV 4K box will not accept the default code 0000. Is there a different default pairing code that should be used? I have updated the Apple TV 4K and reset factory defaults several times, I have deleted the Apple TV driver (version 106) several times), still nothing. When I enter the 0000 code the Apple TV responds that code is not recognized. I contacted tech support, still could not figure out what the issue might be. Maybe somebody in this forum can provide some hints, please. How did you solve this binding issue in the when you experienced the same behavior as I see on my system? Thanks

Wait but I thought I was the only one having problems according to some? :P

See this is what TRUMP is about. But most of ya'll in the "Flyover" states just sit back and let it happen. You think the profits will just flow down the pipe from the rent seekers like the Hollywood studios and Washington DC and the Banksters in the East and just flow on into your local communities. Wrong WRONG WRONG . Yep ya'll just sit back and stay poor whilst Hollywood and the Big Easy and the Washington stooges that accept political bribes from these guys continue to rip ya'll off, and shift massive profits off shore and never pay one once of tax "for the privilege" of doing ya'll right over - for all I care. haha Go Utah, the South and rock on Control4! 

Yep SURE WOULD HELP the local Salt Lake C community in getting back some much needed tech dollars that are rightfully THEIRS and offer a huge boost to the local community not to mention the flow on effects might even employ a few more local unemployed kids doing some useful stuff rather than hanging out skateboarding down the local mal car park so why don't you get on board? Heck the extra dollars could have em testing, then updating drivers like this instead of twittering their lives away on some home based Xbox or Playstation.. Or do you actually enjoy seeing all the money going to the Hollywood crony Billionaires? Make Utah great again  

Our unemployment in Utah is around 3% (just under I believe). We’ve got massive amounts of tech receiving BILLIONS of dollars annually in funding and revenue. I am not convinced for a second that HDCP and/or HDMI ceased to exist that it would increase C4 product sales AT ALL.

On 25/11/2017 at 2:00 AM, ILoveC4 said:

I am not convinced for a second that HDCP and/or HDMI ceased to exist that it would increase C4 product sales AT ALL

I beg to differ. HDMI without HDCP would be a massive boost for the company. Matrix sales would boom as starters,  People would also buy and upgrade more gear maybe adding rooms with the confidence they weren't going to get screwed around with HDCP handshake issues and slow HDMI connections, fear one device wouldn't work with another, and screen input moves back and forward and the like... Media players and NAS drives would be put in boosting third party driver sales that improve the overall usability of the platform. New driver innovation would emerge, freshing up the feel and look of Control4 dramatically. It would give customers a reason again to instal HA knowing the media side of their platforms once and for all worked and wouldn't be messed with. They would then concentrate on spend elsewhere in their projects... like adding lights, HVAC, and other HA control.. Instead of zipping up their wallets all the time and rolling their eyes thinking "here we go again with another failed HDMI upgrade".. The whole HA industry would breath a sigh of relief. The flow on in increased sales and dealer truck rolls would be huge.  Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I don’t know ANYONE who has decided against buying an HDMI Matrix because of HDCP. Not a single one. Do you?

Yep. I returned a leaf 18 months or so back directly because of it as the constant fix ups and attempts at getting it working properly as it should with all my HDMI gear were giving me and my dealer the pips and then started costing me additional hrly wages. And I have a friend who has recently put one in as well and wants the dealer to take it back as he thinks 6K for this was the biggest waste of money in his entire project.. so yep thats two Cheers. 

Yep. I retuned a leaf 18 months or so back directly because of it as the constant fix ups and attempts at getting it working properly as it should were giving me and my dealer the pips and then started costing me additional hrly wages. And I have a friend who has recently put one in as well and wants the dealer to take it back as he thinks 6K for this was the biggest waste of money in his entire project.. so yep thats two Cheers. 

Why don’t you lead the lawsuit then launch your matrix business as a company “for the people” after you defeated the corrupt Hollywood? You’d probably be a billionaire inside of a year.

3 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Why don’t you lead the lawsuit then launch your matrix business as a company “for the people” after you defeated the corrupt Hollywood? You’d probably be a billionaire inside of a year.

Whats' your point dude? You asked me a direct question and I gave you a direct answer.

It's not up to individual customers to fight this sort of legal battle. 

Ok so just for the record and I will state it again. I am not against the encryption of media content to prevent the unlawful use of that content. I pay for all my content. 

What I am against is the way Hollywood has gone about this by using HDCP - which has tied up and ruined the basic benefits of HMDI technology.

Hollywood should have left HDMI alone and encrypted the digital files themselves somehow  not the hardware process..

The fact they continue to do this to this day - not changing their approach despite years now of alternative file and internet encryption technology being available (the blockchain and use of other ways to handle private keys as an example has been out since 2009) basically proves my point.

So different ways of file encryption have been out for what... well over a decade? Way before the planned release of the new consumer 4k H.265 format. Yet here we go again with HDCP 2.2... and all the hassle that has thrown on law abiding honest consumers. They had a huge opportunity several years back to plan for the future and get rid of HDCP in the move to the new 4K format but have yet again failed in my opinion. They continue to penalise people who pay for content over those that rip them off and torrent. This is because the HDCP implementation on HDMI continues to give the paying customer a worse experience than the torrenter... 

In short IMHO they completely backed the wrong horse years ago (HDCP), continue to back it and as a consequence the blow back on the hardware industry and other parties dependent on HDMI is enormous. Cheers. 

On 11/20/2017 at 11:44 AM, Cyknight said:

Yep there is, quick version:

Step 1: Set the Apple TV to a static IP address
Step 2: Add Apple TV driver version 106
Step 3: Add IP address to the driver
Step 4: On the Apple TV navigate to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote App
Step 5: Send paring command from driver
Step 6: Pair the device "0000"
Step 7: Refresh navigators

my old Apple TV's were using version 1 which were IR.  I've swapped out my old ATV with the 4K.  Version 106 driver is not IR.  So do I change all mine over to network with 106?  When I swapped the atv they turn on and have some funtion, but missing a bunch like pause.  Is this because of the old version 1 which is from 2010?  Would I have to do anything else related to my controllers to do this.  I like the idea as it opens up some outputs/I think.  Lol

I've not used the IR driver extensively, but first and foremost, your ATV shouldn't be turning off at all - turn that sleep mode off. That said, I've no complaints from one client on an older system unwilling to update due to hardware that uses the IR driver on a 4K - I'm quite certain he'd have said something if pause wasn't working. I'm going to guess IR placement, which of the top of my head is the same as always in that it's dead-centre left-right, slightly above the middle top/bottom

17 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I've not used the IR driver extensively, but first and foremost, your ATV shouldn't be turning off at all - turn that sleep mode off. That said, I've no complaints from one client on an older system unwilling to update due to hardware that uses the IR driver on a 4K - I'm quite certain he'd have said something if pause wasn't working. I'm going to guess IR placement, which of the top of my head is the same as always in that it's dead-centre left-right, slightly above the middle top/bottom

I read something via google it was about 1cm left of the LED.. on the same line.. but it wasn't working there so where exactly is it?  :) 

26 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I might just try it with your method.  I just updated to an ea-3 but my 200 is still hook to the system and that is where the IR are coming from.  I should clarify that I'm not sure the atv is actually turning on/off.  When I request atv on the remote it turns the tv on atv (but it may have been on already).  I upgraded the atv in 2 rooms and adding a atv in another.  The one I added I cannot get the IR to turn the tv on or do anything with the atv.  The IR bud is not lighting up at all and I have checked all connections back to the 200.  I have the IR control inputs correct showing correct in system connections.  I have nothing to loose, so I might as well try it your way.  Cheers

I might just try it with your method.  I just updated to an ea-3 but my 200 is still hook to the system and that is where the IR are coming from.  I should clarify that I'm not sure the atv is actually turning on/off.  When I request atv on the remote it turns the tv on atv (but it may have been on already).  I upgraded the atv in 2 rooms and adding a atv in another.  The one I added I cannot get the IR to turn the tv on or do anything with the atv.  The IR bud is not lighting up at all and I have checked all connections back to the 200.  I have the IR control inputs correct showing correct in system connections.  I have nothing to loose, so I might as well try it your way.  Cheers
At this point just let your dealer do it. You spent more time then it would have cost

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My dealer will do it.  I just want to learn as much as possible about my system.  He is coming back on Monday, but he suggested I try and understand how things work.  He is great to work with.  I'm enjoying it so far.  (most of the time) Lol.  My time is free.  I'm retired.  

I also appreciate you guys.  Thanks again.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 12:38 AM, wappinghigh said:

Are we "back to the future" with good ol 1970's IR? Does the 4K ATV ever have an IR receiver?? :P

I've ditched Control4 here for this device right now and am using the awesome little AppleTV remote... so what is that using? Bluetooth?

How ya'll set up your 4KATV's within Control4  and how ya'll controlling your new AppleTV's?

Thanks

I wrote custom Apple TV IR drivers. I have an IR with custom composer icons, and GUI icons, including the ability to "wiggle" home screen icons, and "jump" back home. (equivalent of pressing and holding "menu"). They're instant, work perfectly, no IP configurations, and can scroll with ease, and blow the IP driver out of the water.

I have four versions of my driver. HC series controllers for both Apple TV, and Apple TV v4/4K, and EA series controllers for Apple TV, Apple TV v4/4K, and a custom code set if you ever want to learn custom codes into the Apple TV.

Archived