C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Leaf 4k Matrix Switch

nevets23

Not sure if my dealer simply sucks at his job, or I just have some pretty bad luck. My wife called me today, and told me none of the TVs are working.

I get home and check the a/v rack, none of the lights on the leaf 4k matrix switch are on....yet the power outlet is clearly on. I tried plugging it in to a different outlet just to be sure, and of course no different. The thing is completely dead.

I’ve had it a little over a year, so it’s definitely still under warranty, but I’m starting to question the quality of c4 products. No joke this is the the third major device to fail since I got the system a little over a year ago. The HC800 my dealer installed broke within the first 30 days of installation, then an ethernet port went bad on a hc250, and now the 4k matrix is dead. Does this seem like bad luck or more of a pattern that likely has to do with my original dealer? The entire system was brand new/no refurbished or used devices.

Also, given my local dealer’s crap response time, can someone please help me RMA this thing? My wife is home on maternity leave, so this is not good timing to be without any tv in the house!

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something seems a bit off that your system is a little over a year old and you are using a HC800 and HC250.

Yeah, I agree my local dealer sucks. I got a proposal from him for my system in late 2015, so the EA series wasn’t out yet. My system, however, wasn’t installed until July 2016 when our new house was finished, and he never even told me about the new controllers. When I found out that we didn’t have the latest controllers, he said he didn’t tell me about them b/c they weren’t out when he made the original proposal, and he was trying to save me money....ironically, he sure as hell let me know about other things I could upgrade that weren’t available when he made the original proposal.

Not to say it isn’t bad hardware but you might want to double check your power. I’m sure you have a battery backup but the power feeding the rack might not be optimal. Battery backups kick on at a certain level but it’s possible your running right at that level and it’ll be hard on the equipment. Should be able to usb from the battery backup to a laptop and see what you’re getting.

I’d also make sure you have sufficient airflow inside the rack. Just my two cents. Doesn’t help you today but seems like you might have a problem somewhere.

Not to say it isn’t bad hardware but you might want to double check your power. I’m sure you have a battery backup but the power feeding the rack might not be optimal. Battery backups kick on at a certain level but it’s possible your running right at that level and it’ll be hard on the equipment. Should be able to usb from the battery backup to a laptop and see what you’re getting.

I’d also make sure you have sufficient airflow inside the rack. Just my two cents. Doesn’t help you today but seems like you might have a problem somewhere.

The primary equipment is plugged into a wattbox 700 12 plug box. Shouldn’t the wattbox take care of any power issues? The rack I have is a brand Sanus. I’m fairly certain there is good airflow, but things are stacked in the rack (although not in an unusual way). I have the battery back up, and also have the entire system on a generac backup generator.

2 hours ago, nevets23 said:

Shouldn’t the wattbox take care of any power issues?

Wattboxes are surge protectors, they are NOT voltage regulators - indeed most (nearly all) surge protectors aren't. 'Normal' surge protectors (or for that matter UPS units) do NOT filter out constant voltage fluctuations, they will only prevent huge spikes in voltage, (or lost power in case of UPS).

The point being that you say you've had several devices fail already - this is NOT the norm at all, so either stop betting money, or something external is causing a higher than normal failure rate. Power then would be an obvious candidate, and relatively easy to check (cheapest way is to just get a cheap multi-meter and sit and monitor the voltage for a few hours :P)

2 hours ago, nevets23 said:

generac backup generator.

Whoa horsy, back-up.

This COULD actually be the cause of your grief. While there is nothing wrong with having a back-up generator, even the best ones need proper setup out of the box. With 9 out of 10 - if not 99 out of a 100 - the power frequency is NOT correct on generators out of the box, and certainly not over time. Get that checked and make sure it's a proper frequency before replacing anything. In addition, generators can cause spikes, especially if cheaper built units or poorly setup. That part is not all that likely, but keep it in mind to have checked.

9 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Wattboxes are surge protectors, they are NOT voltage regulators - indeed most (nearly all) surge protectors aren't. 'Normal' surge protectors (or for that matter UPS units) do NOT filter out constant voltage fluctuations, they will only prevent huge spikes in voltage, (or lost power in case of UPS).

The point being that you say you've had several devices fail already - this is NOT the norm at all, so either stop betting money, or something external is causing a higher than normal failure rate. Power then would be an obvious candidate, and relatively easy to check (cheapest way is to just get a cheap multi-meter and sit and monitor the voltage for a few hours :P)

Whoa horsy, back-up.

This COULD actually be the cause of your grief. While there is nothing wrong with having a back-up generator, even the best ones need proper setup out of the box. With 9 out of 10 - if not 99 out of a 100 - the power frequency is NOT correct on generators out of the box, and certainly not over time. Get that checked and make sure it's a proper frequency before replacing anything. In addition, generators can cause spikes, especially if cheaper built units or poorly setup. That part is not all that likely, but keep it in mind to have checked.

Ok, thanks for the clarification on the watt box and the advice as to monitoring the power.

With respect to the generator, it's a generac. In terms of checking the frequency,  is that something the generator company would do? I have maintenance performed on it regularly, but I'm guessing that checking the power frequency isn't part of the check up? The thing is my original dealer was involved with and new about the generator/it was there when the system was setup, and they never mentioned any potential issues. If there were large/frequent power fluctuations, wouldn't i have other issues with other things in my house?

Not gonna lie, it's a little distressing that something like this could be the issue.

Most installers wouldn't even think to look at the generator.  Typically, I've seen most output around the 53-56 Hz range.  Its usually some knob of sort on the generator itself to adjust the frequency.  60 Hz is where it needs to be and also tested to make sure that it outputs correctly.

I had one customer with all V1 lighting, when his generator kicked on, all the switches would flash a crazy led color sequence and wouldn't control anything.  As soon as I set the generator properly to 60 Hz, all lighting behaved normally.

Also, some generators produce square wave instead of true sine wave, thats another thing to look for.

28 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Most installers wouldn't even think to look at the generator.  Typically, I've seen most output around the 53-56 Hz range.  Its usually some knob of sort on the generator itself to adjust the frequency.  60 Hz is where it needs to be and also tested to make sure that it outputs correctly.

I had one customer with all V1 lighting, when his generator kicked on, all the switches would flash a crazy led color sequence and wouldn't control anything.  As soon as I set the generator properly to 60 Hz, all lighting behaved normally.

Also, some generators produce square wave instead of true sine wave, thats another thing to look for.

Generator could easily be the issue.  We had issues at first with ours because the frequency was 48Hz instead if 50Hz.  Note: whether you want 50Hz or 60Hz depends on where you are located...

Your installer should be able to set the frequency, and you may be able to yourself even - and no it's something not often checked, often overlooked because mst 'common' items aren't as 'sensitive' to it (ie your fridge won't likely care, your lightbulbs certainly won't)

Your installer should be able to set the frequency, and you may be able to yourself even - and no it's something not often checked, often overlooked because mst 'common' items aren't as 'sensitive' to it (ie your fridge won't likely care, your lightbulbs certainly won't)

Ok, thanks. What frequency should it be set to though?

IF they indeed set it. Just a phone call and they said, yes it's 60Hz?

Yes, just a call. They checked with the tech and looked up the specs of my unit. They said the default setting is 60hz, and that’s what they set it at.

I guess I could always pay them to come out and double check it.

1 hour ago, nevets23 said:

Yes, just a call. They checked with the tech and looked up the specs of my unit. They said the default setting is 60hz, and that’s what they set it at.

I guess I could always pay them to come out and double check it.

I would tell them to come out and check it - if it IS in fact at a proper 60Hz pay for the visit - if it isn't, then it's a botched install.

Able to get the replacement c4 4k matrix up and running. Also, had the generator guys check the hz on the generator, and it is at 60 so all good there too. 

In the process of replacing the matrix however, I discovered some additional issues. Despite all my tvs in my system being 4k, the edid output of the matrix was saying that one of my tvs wasn't 4k....at first I couldn't figure out why, but then I figured it out. Long and short of it is that the dealer that installed the system didn't install everything I paid for in my signed contract with him. In my signed contract with the dealer, he was required to install 2 sets of the Leaf LTPTP-F hdbaset extenders. Instead he installed one LTTX transmitter and two LTRX receivers. Besides the fact that I paid for the LTPTP hdbaset extenders (which I am positive are more expensive than what he installed), the LTTX and LTRX don't support 4k video transmission according to the spec sheet. The LTPTP, on the other hand, does support 4k.

Unbelievable! I will not be at all surprised if the dealer tries to make up some sort of excuse or fight me on swapping the equipment out for what I paid to have installed. If he does, I am definitely reporting him to c4 headquarters, and taking legal action. I've met some excellent/great dealers on this forum, who have made my experience with c4 so much better. It's too bad there are some crappy/dishonest/uneducated dealers out there representing the c4 brand.

12 minutes ago, knowitall said:

What model leaf do you have? The baseT is built in. You should only need the Rx  that comes in the kit. How many TVs are on baluns?

I have the C4-LU642. According to the spec sheet for the Rx, it doesn't support 4k. The LTPTP does though, which I'm sure is exactly why it is listed in my contract with the dealer. Plus it's what I paid him to install. I have cat6 running from three of the hdbaset outputs on the c4-LU642 directly to leaf 4k outbreak receivers. For the two local hdmi outputs, an hdmi cord is running from each to an av receiver input. From one of the av receivers, I have an hdmi cable running from the av receiver hdmi out directly to the tv. For the other av receiver, I have an hdmi cord running from the hdmi out on the av receiver to the LTTX transmitter, with a cat6 running from the hdbaset out on it, to the LTRX receiver, then an hdmi cord from the LTRX to the tv.

Just now, knowitall said:

Are the AVR’s 4K? 

Sounds like you only need 1 separate balun. 

Sorry the dealer sucks. Hope they make it right

Yes, the avrs are 4k. You're right in that I probably only need one LTPTP set, however, I paid for two. I'm about 99% certain the second one was intended for third av receiver, even though it technically isn't necessary.

Thanks. Hope they make it right, but given their track record thus far, I won't be surprised if they don't. I already called/e-mailed them about it, and haven't heard back yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I received two LTPTP-F Leaf Hdbaset extender kits that the original dealer forgot to install when I had my c4 system installed. I picked up the box yesterday.

I opened the box when I got home, and now I am just plain confused. The box for each of the hdbaset sets says LTPTP-F on the outside, however on the inside, the actual devices are labeled as LTTx and LTRx, which is what I had originally. My understanding is that each set should have one LTPTPTx and one LTPTPRx, which is what all the pictures of the product show. 

From what I gather the LTTx/LTRx are the 1080p version and the LTPTPTx/LTPTPRx are the 4k version of the hdbaset extenders. I am supposed to get the 4k version, so I don't understand what is going on.

Did C4 change something with the labeling of this product or did the boxes simply contain the incorrect product?

Archived