C4 Forums | Control4

ecschnei

Question

All,

I would like to program my system to power down as much of my system as possible when we lose power at our house.  I have an APC unit on all of the network gear and a panamax 5300 and Monster HTS3500 on the A/V.  I'm planning on adding a battery backup to the A/V just to give my EA-5 time to shut down everything.  Am I thinking about this wrong or has this been implemented before? As always I enjoy watching everyone skin cats differently so let the brainstorming commence.

Side note:  This will be my first rack build which on another thread I received tons of great advice.  I'm taking before and after pictures and if I can figure it out...post them.

Thanks everyone and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Eric

5 answers to this question

A ups is definitely a good idea, put the modem, router, network, cableboxes, ea5, cameras/dvr, etc, for sure. What equipment are you concerned with turning off? Most stuff that will be on the power conditioners listed above will just have normal AV stuff that will just be turned off when the power is cut anyway and you can connect a PC using USB to the ups for safe shutdown

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

A ups is definitely a good idea, put the modem, router, network, cableboxes, ea5, cameras/dvr, etc, for sure. What equipment are you concerned with turning off? Most stuff that will be on the power conditioners listed above will just have normal AV stuff that will just be turned off when the power is cut anyway and you can connect a PC using USB to the ups for safe shutdown

I will definitely have all that on UPS.  I wanted to send a all rooms off command and then power down almost everything.  I can't afford a battery big enough to keep even small stuff going for more than an hour and KCPL takes an hour to even call the linemen to work...I'm just trying to maximize battery run time on things like my VOIP phone system so if I can send commands to shut down my A/V equipment and then NAS and Server...

Or I can start a go-fund-me for a powerwall... :)

Just thinking out loud

Archived