C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos software update

Cyknight

I've now seen numerous reports of numerous services failing completely - may be based on account re-sign/re-auth timescale.

I've dumped Sonos 'integration' some time ago using the endorsed driver solely for SiriusXM - and since the introduction of the native driver for that...., and can't comment on personal experience

Yep I've dumped it as well for Spotify connect such a shame but. Sonos was an icon in multiroom digital music distribution as you know and that driver a pinnacle in integration achievement. Heck it was so good it spawned the buyout of a software driver house - remember that? Those were the days :) 

I’m having no issue with Sonos and while I don’t use the old driver I am using the new version and it to works fine.

Alexa and google integration with Sonos has also been a nice add and one my home uses a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious to hear what people see as the best alternatives to replace Sonos integration. Are you guys using different hardware entirely?

Naive XM, Pandora, tidal, Spotify, tunein.

Plenty of services are integrated in directly now. Nothing I’m really lacking that I could get with more hardware.

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

I’m having no issue with Sonos and while I don’t use the old driver I am using the new version and it to works fine.

Yes, to be very clear - the 'new' Endorsed driver continues to work and work well (within it's parameters). The reason I stopped using Sonos for myself is simple - I really only used SXM, and with that native, I had no real use left for it.

10 hours ago, koxkp said:

Naive XM, Pandora, tidal, Spotify, tunein.

Plenty of services are integrated in directly now. Nothing I’m really lacking that I could get with more hardware.

I have no problem with native, but I need more sources. I usualy use four deezer-streams plus two or more from own library. Today i solve this by having 8 sonos with old driver. That give me 8 sources and 8 zones. 

I would love to go all c4-native, but what player is suitable to expand my HC-800?

I have no problem with native, but I need more sources. I usualy use four deezer-streams plus two or more from own library. Today i solve this by having 8 sonos with old driver. That give me 8 sources and 8 zones. 
I would love to go all c4-native, but what player is suitable to expand my HC-800?
Some 250s into a matrix amp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

By your reckoning you use a max of 6 individual streams - your 800 could provide 3 (excluding the HDMI, which is recommended due to possibly sync issues if it ever came to combining HDMI out with other outputs) by using one cheap DAC. Upgrade to an EA5 and add up to 4 more (using two cheap DACs) or pick up an HC800 for three more.

By your reckoning you use a max of 6 individual streams - your 800 could provide 3 (excluding the HDMI, which is recommended due to possibly sync issues if it ever came to combining HDMI out with other outputs) by using one cheap DAC. Upgrade to an EA5 and add up to 4 more (using two cheap DACs) or pick up an HC800 for three more.

Could you explain how you would use a DAC/recommend a cheap one to use for this? I’m currently trying to work-around the sync using pre-outs but it’s still not great.

I have an HC-800 with hdmi to receiver and the two stereo outs to my matrix amp

A DAC is just a Digital to Analogue Converter - what you do in this scenario is take the digital coax out, go to the DAC, make it analogue, adding 1 (or more) 'analogue' feeds into whatever amp  or matrix you are using.

As for recommendation, as it's a stereo feed to begin with - take your pick really. I'm sure Monoprice has some cheap options.

I'm receiving the following error when trying to access Pandora via C4 from my Sonos soundbar "Service Missing.  This music service is not set up in Sonos yet.  Please configure it in a Sonos controller first.  Any ideas on how to fix this or do I have to contact my dealer??  Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Rodsshow said:

I'm receiving the following error when trying to access Pandora via C4 from my Sonos soundbar "Service Missing.  This music service is not set up in Sonos yet.  Please configure it in a Sonos controller first.  Any ideas on how to fix this or do I have to contact my dealer??  Thanks in advance!

If you're seeing this, it's probably too late.  This is what we're seeing in our experience when the Sonos is updated to the latest version.  It was a good ride.

Archived