C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix and Xbox One

ILoveC4

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any HDMI to IP solution has an encoding/decoding delay.  VS has theirs at about 400-500 ms.
I'm not a gamer at all, so whether that is a big deal or not, I don't know, I'd assume so.
But, you can always just hook that up locally.  If you want to keep it in a rack and distribute without delay, there are many 1 In to 4/8 Output HDBaseT Distribution amps.

Yeah, but that’s more baluns to buy. JAP claim 22ms of delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Are they? A lot do drop it, but in the past year I've actually been ADDING cable/similar setups for these people to add to if not replace streaming boxes.

And for those even younger - YOU go tell my kids they'll lose their TV channels to wake up to in the morning ;) After that you can explain it to my wife as well - try not to get killed :lol:

My kids have only rarely ever watched TV channels.  Any show that they show interest in is DVR'ed and they soon have access to tons of episodes of that show via SageTV.  My 9 y.o. doesn't even watch the recorded TV shows any more, she watches a few of her favourite movies, like Despicable Me 3, Descendants 2, etc and the YouTube content from her favourite YouTubers and she wants to be a YouTuber when she grows up.

Here in Canada you used to be able to buy cable boxes from Rogers Cable.  So years ago I bought boxes rather than renting - like the SA4250HD.  Generally the purchase price was around 24-36 months worth of rental fees.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

My kids have only rarely ever watched TV channels.  Any show that they show interest in is DVR'ed and they soon have access to tons of episodes of that show via SageTV.  My 9 y.o. doesn't even watch the recorded TV shows any more, she watches a few of her favourite movies, like Despicable Me 3, Descendants 2, etc and the YouTube content from her favourite YouTubers and she wants to be a YouTuber when she grows up.

The point being - don't assume your situation is by default the common one - or at least not the only common situation.

My kids (in a similar age range as your 9 y.o.) watch youtube as well, they have access to literally 1000's of movies at their fingertip in my system (and grew up having it) too, not to mention streaming services. Oh an on top of that their favorite movies are easily grabbed in disc form for their portable dvd players.

Yet if I told them Teletoon, Disney, DisneyXD and Nick would disappear I'd have a rebellion on my hands. No really, I suggested and asked them about it - they told me they'd rather lose their tablets. There IS a convenience they like in just 'turning on the TV (channel)' and watch what ever's on as opposed to searching for what you want (and yes that is also convenient, but in a different way). 

Again, there's no right or wrong in this - just different preferences.

Very true, different preferences.  But there is a large class of "cord-nevers" which are the kids coming out of college who never subscribed to cable and likely never will.  I ask the recent hires that I work with about this trend and most of them don't have cable and aren't interested.  The main exception are the ones interested in sports, but some of those that are really keen will get the online subscriptions, like NBA League Pass, MLB.tv or NHL CentreIce.  And being in Canada they are adept at using VPNs at getting content that is "only" available in the US, but that is increasingly becoming a cat and mouse game.

My 9 y.o. heard me request music on Alexa and that is how she listens to music now - although she just figured out how to do searches on Spotify as well.  The only problem is that this can cause conflicts when multiple people try to use the same account to play music on Spotify - generally the way that you set up your Echos is that they all use the same account so even if you have a family sub to Spotify it doesn't help.

So...does anybody have an advice for me as to my original question? Binary, Atlona 4K (I only care about 4K for future proofing) or JAP? I need make a decision in the next couple of days. I’m leaning towards JAP as it seems the most future proof, but then again it’s also the one which is proprietary. What if they close their doors?

From those three - JAP.

Honestly, I prefer C4's lineup, unless you need an out of the norm number of in/outputs (in which case, JAP).

We tried Atlona again recently, despite major crap-shoots in the past - we already ripped one out and replaced it with a C4 unit....

49 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

From those three - JAP.

Honestly, I prefer C4's lineup, unless you need an out of the norm number of in/outputs (in which case, JAP).

We tried Atlona again recently, despite major crap-shoots in the past - we already ripped one out and replaced it with a C4 unit....

The reason I'm leaning towards JAP is I can honestly see it being YEARS before I buy a 4K TV. Like...4K might be old and 8K is the new thing. The modular capability of JAP is appealing because I can buy ONE 4K transmitter and ONE 4K receiver...and have 4K to that source and 1080p to everything else.

My existing matrix switch is 11 years old...and I'd like to keep this one that long too. If I buy the existing C4 matrix...I don't have that kind of flexibility. I don't care about splitting the audio. I think I'm going to go the JAP power route.

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

The reason I'm leaning towards JAP is I can honestly see it being YEARS before I buy a 4K TV. Like...4K might be old and 8K is the new thing. The modular capability of JAP is appealing because I can buy ONE 4K transmitter and ONE 4K receiver...and have 4K to that source and 1080p to everything else.

My existing matrix switch is 11 years old...and I'd like to keep this one that long too. If I buy the existing C4 matrix...I don't have that kind of flexibility. I don't care about splitting the audio. I think I'm going to go the JAP power route.

Do you have fire tv or Sony android tv?  Getting video storm would be very cost beneficial from a hardware standpoint.  Most keep gaming boxes local so the delay isn’t an issue. 

Do you have fire tv or Sony android tv?  Getting video storm would be very cost beneficial from a hardware standpoint.  Most keep gaming boxes local so the delay isn’t an issue. 

No, and I don’t want them. I don’t want a bunch of local sources stuffed behind the TV that I have to keep updated, online, rebooting, etc...

I just centralize everything. I just placed the order for the JAP stuff, so...here’s to hoping I’m not disappointed.

10 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

No, and I don’t want them. I don’t want a bunch of local sources stuffed behind the TV that I have to keep updated, online, rebooting, etc...

I just centralize everything. I just placed the order for the JAP stuff, so...here’s to hoping I’m not disappointed.

Even w jap you need to put a balun behind the tv.  With video storm you can use a fire tv or built in OS on a Sony tv.  Saves you lots of money.  Same function.  Nothing wrong with jap But just clearing up the comment in case someone reads this in the future.  

19 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yeah...another huge benefit.

Ok, you guys are starting to win me over on the centralized systems.  Assuming that you want surround sound in your end-point rooms, how do you do the audio distribution?  Do you have the HDMI coming from the central rack go to a local AVR and then HDMI from the local AVR to the TV?  Or do you just run the 5.1 or 7.2 (or whatever) speaker cabling from the central point?

18 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Even w jap you need to put a balun behind the tv.  With video storm you can use a fire tv or built in OS on a Sony tv.  Saves you lots of money.  Same function.  Nothing wrong with jap But just clearing up the comment in case someone reads this in the future.  

Higher latency which might be an issue depending on source

13 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Ok, you guys are starting to win me over on the centralized systems.  Assuming that you want surround sound in your end-point rooms, how do you do the audio distribution?  Do you have the HDMI coming from the central rack go to a local AVR and then HDMI from the local AVR to the TV?  Or do you just run the 5.1 or 7.2 (or whatever) speaker cabling from the central point?

Can do either one really, most of the time I do the AVR in the rack and do HDMI or HDbaseT to the tv but it depends on what furniture is in the room, if there are local sources, if it is retro, etc. No wrong answer, more of a preference for some

Yes, I realize that. 1 balun at each tv to serve as a decoder. Considering that’s all it does, I’m going to guess it’s a lot more “stable” and won’t require reboots, etc... It doesn’t require additional power (powered over the cat cable). I’m sure the VideoStorm stuff is great, I just want something that will be dead reliable for my family as i travel a lot.

I have EVERYTHING in the rack. The only thing “in room” is the display, without a single wire running to or from it that’s visible. Just the power outlet behind the TV, and the cat cable ran out behind the TV. On a few of the TVs I do have a Chromcast, but that’s only because I’ve had component distribution and not HDMI distribution. The chrome cast doesn’t get used much, but occasionally to show my computer screen if I’m doing something with the Family.

I’ve had distributed audio/video with everything centrally locates for 11 years now and it’s the BEST. It’s not inexpensive up front, but you end up buying less source gear and you have a WAY better experience (IMO, and it sounds like I’m not alone). My last Matrix I paid $600 and I’ve used it for 11 years. This new one will cost me many thousands, but I hope to use it for equally as long. Well worth it.

Higher latency which might be an issue depending on source

Yep, the 500ms delay is what kept me from considering VideoStorm more (and last time I looked at their website I remember feeling it was really confusing...and I couldn’t find pricing so that turned me off too). I want to be able to distribute the Xbox and that amount of lag would drive me crazy on the rare occasions when I’m the one playing.

1 minute ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yep, the 500ms delay is what kept me from considering VideoStorm more (and their website is really confusing...they don’t make it easy to figure out what you need). I want to be able to distribute the Xbox and that amount of lag would drive me crazy on the rare occasions when I’m the one playing.

500 ms is at least double the average human reaction time to visual stimulation - it'll throw you off for sure.

500 ms is at least double the average human reaction time to visual stimulation - it'll throw you off for sure.

Yeah. It think the 22-47ms of lag from JAP will be okay but i wouldn’t want much more than that.

So what matrix amps are you using for 5.1 (or whatever)?  When I see amps like the C4 they appear to be stereo.  Or do you not use a matrix and put a regular AVR in your rack?  And what about subwoofer - aren't subwoofers normally powered at the speaker so that you need a coax connection back to the subwoofer?

@ILoveC4- did you drop a zero on your matrix price or did you really pay $600 for it?

The other issue to make this all work is the cabling.  There are parts of my house where I couldn't easily run ethernet cable so I use MoCA or wifi for networking, but that wouldn't work for video I guess.

38 minutes ago, zaphod said:

So what matrix amps are you using for 5.1 (or whatever)? 

I have Integra avrs for surround sound rooms and c4 audio matrix for stereo distribution to feed both the avrs and c4 amps.

Subs can be either active with coax/rca/line level speaker input or passive with their own amps. My family room has an active 10", theater has 2 passive 12" klipsch.

Archived