C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE

pwade

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can download it from downloads section of the my.control4.com website.  Presumably it will show up once you have a license tied to your account.  Mine came with a CD as well but that was 9/10 years ago - don't know if they still do and I wouldn't want it anyhow.

If you are going to do any programming then HE is totally worth it.  It is a one-time purchase.  I believe it comes with a one year subscription to 4sight.  I hadn't subscribed to 4sight for a while and you may not need it, however it appears that C4 is moving in the direction to give you more incentive to subscribe to it - like Alexa and When/Then (which I don't/can't use as I am on 2.9).  Part of the overall trend of software companies moving to a subscription model.  HE costs (or at least it used to)  $150 and 4sight is $100/yr so there is value in buying HE.

I do not know if is available on physical media, but not necessary.  You will not see the download option on mycontrol4 until your dealer has activated the license, but after he does log off and log in and you will see it.  I don't remember what it costs ($149?) but it's the best purchase I've made for anything related to Control4. I presume any of the dealers here offering remote support can add it to your account very quickly.

As zaphod said a one time expense and ABSOLUTELY worth it if you think you have any interest in programming anything or updating lighting scenes.

The new When/If introduced in 2.10 is free and ok for basic stuff, but I doubt I'll ever use it as an HE user.

7 minutes ago, Steelermedallion said:

Is HE still required with the recent if/then changes? (I haven’t seen it yet, so I can’t tell, but my dealer thought that HE is going away? Can anyone confirm or deny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HE isn't going anywhere: when -> then does not give you anything near the functionality of HE, not to mention it requires 4Sight and a good internet to run.

43 minutes ago, Steelermedallion said:

Is HE still required with the recent if/then changes? (I haven’t seen it yet, so I can’t tell, but my dealer thought that HE is going away? Can anyone confirm or deny

If you have and can use HE, you will never want to use When/Then.

Okay, thanks for all the info.  I now have it and it has already paid for itself.  I needed a light switch to have its off light turned off as guests complained that it was annoying at night. Tried a different color but it was best to be off.   Put a timer on another location and changed all my away scene lights to a lower %.  Its great. Needed a dealer before.   I have a question related to what a dealer would do when pairing a third party hardware (apple tv) to the system.  I'm going to upgrade my old apple tv to new versions.  How do they make the new apple remote work with the SR250 C4 remote.  How do they pair the actions?   I read through a composer Pro user guide and I don't see how its done.  Just curious.  

14 minutes ago, pwade said:

Okay, thanks for all the info.  I now have it and it has already paid for itself.  I needed a light switch to have its off light turned off as guests complained that it was annoying at night. Tried a different color but it was best to be off.   Put a timer on another location and changed all my away scene lights to a lower %.  Its great. Needed a dealer before.   I have a question related to what a dealer would do when pairing a third party hardware (apple tv) to the system.  I'm going to upgrade my old apple tv to new versions.  How do they make the new apple remote work with the SR250 C4 remote.  How do they pair the actions?   I read through a composer Pro user guide and I don't see how its done.  Just curious.  

LOL read my Apple 4K TV driver thread but expect a bit of blow back because according to some around here the driver and documentation is absolutely perfect :) It pairs via airplay. You need 1/ Pro 2/ patience 3/ know where to find the pairing screen in the new Apple menu which is in a different spot than the older versions. The driver allows the SR250 to mimic the Apple remote commands using airplay. So controls the Apple TV that way. It's not a full on crack of the Apple API code because as has been stated Apple doesn't release their API. It's doesn't "copy" the Apple remote persay so there is no swipe, and obviously no Siri button. Just the basic commands. Cheers. 

22 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

LOL read my Apple 4K TV driver thread but expect a bit of blow back because according to some around here the driver and documentation is absolutely perfect :) It pairs via airplay. You need 1/ Pro 2/ patience 3/ know where to find the pairing screen in the new Apple menu which is in a different spot than the older versions. The driver allows the SR250 to mimic the Apple remote commands using airplay. So controls the Apple TV that way. It's not a full on crack of the Apple API code because as has been stated Apple doesn't release their API. It's doesn't "copy" the Apple remote persay so there is no swipe, and obviously no Siri button. Just the basic commands. Cheers. 

Err. You DONT need pro to pair actually, doesn't airplay either AFAIK. Oh and while no swipe or Siri, C4's driver has FAR more commands than the apple remote.... but, cheers

7 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Err. You DONT need pro to pair actually, doesn't airplay either AFAIK. Oh and while no swipe or Siri, C4's driver has FAR more commands than the apple remote.... but, cheers

Oh ok my bad. Thanks for the correction. So you can install a new AppleTV 4K with HE? Didn't know that... where is the documentation? And where is the driver add? In HE? The driver does ask for "pairing" but, like it is mimmicking a new remote... so how is it doing it?  Just curious. Cheers

18 minutes ago, pwade said:

I'm not finding anything on pairing?  Is there any documentation on this?  The driver I have in the system is a 2010 driver.  Noticed a newer one dated 2016 but it does not show as IR.

You need the IP version I think from memory it's version 106 (see my thread) last update is dated Feb 2016 as I recall. The documentation is in the drop down tab in the driver. But it is old documentation that relates to the previous versions of AppleTV.. (the older versions have a different menu layout) But we did all this using pro. I really have no idea like I said you can do exactly that with HE.. Over to you Cyk..Can you?

See the problem here is some dealers give you the impression all this is a soda.. and they make some of us end users think we are stupid and morons. So you get all these wise crack remarks. Water off a ducks back to me. When  all many of us want to do is understand what to do, in advance, we are naturally curious how things work (like all intelligent humans should be), it's us spending the money after all... so we ask questions, to get a heads up before we go out and buy some new product etc... It's not that they are extra special smart or anything, it's just they have access to all the training, and notifications on upgrades, "KB's" (whatever they are), full driver documentation (within Pro), can add all drivers etc etc ie they have the full version of the program. Heck they even have a special private C4forums all to themselves. Had it for years. Lots of people still don't realise all that...  :)  

Okay, I think I'm missing something (correction, I know I am).  I know how to request the ATV to pair, but I don't know how or where the steps are for the SR250.  Is it done through HE or PRO.  I don't see anything on the menu of the SR250.  

4 minutes ago, pwade said:

Okay, I think I'm missing something (correction, I know I am).  I know how to request the ATV to pair, but I don't know how or where the steps are for the SR250.  Is it done through HE or PRO.  I don't see anything on the menu of the SR250.  

It's requested through the driver. The driver sends a paring command.. But like I said I don't know if this can be done using HE. Mr Cyk would know. Can it? He hasn't answered :) 

It's requested through the driver. The driver sends a paring command.. But like I said I don't know if this can be done using HE. Mr Cyk would know. Can it? He hasn't answered  
If the driver is already installed and bound properly pairing can be done via he

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Archived