C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door Sensor and Opener Control

lasvegas_rob

What does it look like in the OSD when you have a Garage Door Sensor AND the ability to control the garage door? Two different buttons in the House section? Or is it just one that I would select, and the icon would change to show either an open or closed status? I have several things like this that I will be adding, but I dont want it to get too confusing for my customers.

Hey Rob,

I haven't completed this yet, But I do believe it will show 2 Icons... One for the State and the other to trigger the open close. I think you would be able to get it to 1 if you use a Relay instead of just a Pulse of the wires together...

I wish there was a way to get the relay state to match the sensor. Cause it gets a customer confused. The sensor says the garage door is open and the relay say's it's closed. I tried to do some progaming but I ended up getting the door stuck in a loop. up, down up down. had to pull the release :lol:

I wish there was a way to get the relay state to match the sensor. Cause it gets a customer confused. The sensor says the garage door is open and the relay say's it's closed. I tried to do some progaming but I ended up getting the door stuck in a loop. up, down up down. had to pull the release :lol:

this would be good to post on the wishlist...

greed: have you tried inverting the sensor?

This will bring into line with the relay from the sounds of it. To do this, within the "System Design" tab, click on the garage door sensor, and then select (or de-select) the invert sensor option. Make sure you hit the "set" button to enable changes. Once you then cycle the sensor, everything should sync again.

Forgive my ignorance... once again... are you just running cat5 from the garage door opener to the MC or HTC? I have been thinking about doing this since I did my training in June, but I haven't tried it yet. I always test things on my own house first so just as soon as I do this I might consider this as an option on the spec homes I am currently wiring, I know someone will ask sooner or later. Thanks, once again.

Blake

you shouldn't need Cat5 but it would work fine. Standard 4 conductor security wire would be fine. i usually have a run to each loaction, but if all you have is 4 wires it can be done.

2 wires for contact

2 wires for relay/switch

remember there are 2 types of magnetic sensors. (are you using magnetic sensors)

they come NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) ... these are 2 different sensors and report the state of the door oppositely. so make sure you have the right sensor first or know the type you are using, as this will matter greatly when connected to the controller.

Samer Shami: I will have to try that. I am not sure what I have it set at right now. The setup now is Contact Sensor at the back of the garage door rail. So when the door is open the contact sensor is closed. It gets confusing during programming cause you think when the contact is closed the door is closed. So I’m not sure if I inverted it already because the way I’ve mounted the contact sensor. I then hooked the relay connection from the HTC to the garage door switch. I am just using an HTC for this since it has one relay and one contact sensor it works fine for now until I need more. If I only open and close the door using C4 then they stay synced. The moment use the garage door button or a garage door remote they relay is out of sync. I tried to program a way for the sensor to update the relay but I could not do it. It kept triggering the relay to take action. I played with variables but could not figure a way to update the relay status without the relay triggering the door. So, I’m not sure what I’m going to do for customer homes. I do like it to control the door for the programming features like a goodnight button. The door will close only if the door is open when I hit the good night button.

On a side note did you go to CEDIA last year at Indy and were you working at the C4 booth. I was talking to a guy from Australia and was wondering if it was you. I really enjoyed talking to him.

This will be my first time connecting anything to a garage door opener, so please....am I wiring directly to the opener on the ceiling for control? This would make sense to me, just running in parallel with the wall mounted clicker.

Yes directly in parallel with the wall Mounted Clicker. Although I would reroute the Wall mounted clicker into a Contact Point (Either in a MC, HTC, or Remote Contact Extender) and put in the programming that when the contact is closed, close the door.

This will enable you to program events to occur if someone opens and closes the door with the Clicker, as well as with everything else through the system.

• 1 year later...

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to this stuff, but I am a quick learner and am fairly intelligent. I have my house all setup with Control4, and have the Media Controller in my A/V closet. I ran 4 cat 5 runs from my a/v closet to my garage - I have two garage doors. There is one cat5 ran to each motor, and one ran to each set of sensors on the door, which are used to verify the door has a clear path and can close. I am just curious if someone can explain to me how to hook this up. Like I said, and am not knowledgable with relays and things (I actually dont know what a relay is), but am good at figuring things out. If someone could explain to me in lamens terms what connections I need to make for that to work, it would be great. I have a friend who is an AP Test Supervisor at Control4, and he does all my programming so doing it on the system side shouldn't be a problem. He just does not know how to make the physical connections.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I'd use anybody but Control4.  Have the full system in my home...it's great for audio video sending around the home, but unreliable and unsupported as a consumer for everything else.  I have the Control4 recommended set up with two card access wireless relays and the GE magnetic sensor.  It worked when I bought the home, service guy wiped out the MAC address when he was working on a audio problem which he never resolved, then when he put it back it it only lifts the door half way...he can't fix it and the Control4 company business model is only to support their dealers, they won't even talk to consumers or homeowners.  Incredibly arrogant business model.  I'll be ripping out the control 4 system and going with Sonos for Audio and just adding a couple of video components to get whole house audio.  So far Control4 is a reliability train wreck, and even though you pay about $300 per service call, they usually break more than they fix, then charge you again to fix what they broke.  I wouldn't recommend Control4 to anybody for anything...stay with the high volume, reliable, and customer oriented companies like Sonos and Nest, and in the long run you will save a lot of money, have reliable hardware and software, and less frustration...you will give up the ability to integrate different home automation functions like lighting and audio in scenes, but truth is you really don't use it for much...really not worth all the frustration, time, dollars.

stevenj  -  I just responded to your same post in another section of the forum.  As you stated in that post, your service tech (that you pay $300 a pop to come out) called Control4 tech support and was told that "C4 will only talk to service technicians", so by that statement, I don't know who the idiot is that screwed up your garage, but don't blame it on C4.  There is NO way is hell that if you paid a certified C4 tech to come out that C4 would not take a support call from them.  Oh, and by the way, you picked a wonderful way of gaining support from the numerous certified C4 programmers on this forum, by bashing ALL of them in just 2 posts.  Amazing!

PS - msgreenf  -  is dead on, you need to find a better dealer.

Archived