C4 Forums | Control4

Fire TV HDR 4K IP control issue

First of all, I'm proud to be part of such a cool group but people can get to install some of the most awesome automation system there is. I've been programing control 4 for about 6 years now and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on basically every trade that it has to do with. Whether it goes from wiring air conditioning units to controlling a thousand-watt chandelier to automating a 36 television with Alexa voice control. There are not many things that I can't figure out especially with the help from this forum. But for the life of me this third generation Fire TV is kicking my ass. Unfortunately these fire TVs no longer have a ethernet port forcing us to purchase a $12 directly from Amazon ethernet adapter for it. Which is fine I understand It comes with the cost the customers understand wired is always better. But for the life of me I cannot keep a consistent IP connection with this device. Now there have been other posts on this forum that explain how to keep it alive using me an ADB command.  Even in the latest  driver there is a disable sleep timer action now. But neither of these seem to actually do what they say. Has the operating system updated to a point where this code no longer works? I'm turning to The Experts here because this is honestly like my most difficult thing to deal with it.  It causes constant truck rolls for no reason I would love to be able to find a way to nip this problem in the bud.

First of all, I'm proud to be part of such a cool group but people can get to install some of the most awesome automation system there is. I've been programing control 4 for about 6 years now and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on basically every trade that it has to do with. Whether it goes from wiring air conditioning units to controlling a thousand-watt chandelier to automating a 36 television with Alexa voice control. There are not many things that I can't figure out especially with the help from this forum. But for the life of me this third generation Fire TV is kicking my ass. Unfortunately these fire TVs no longer have a ethernet port forcing us to purchase a $12 directly from Amazon ethernet adapter for it. Which is fine I understand It comes with the cost the customers understand wired is always better. But for the life of me I cannot keep a consistent IP connection with this device. Now there have been other posts on this forum that explain how to keep it alive using me an ADB command.  Even in the latest  driver there is a disable sleep timer action now. But neither of these seem to actually do what they say. Has the operating system updated to a point where this code no longer works? I'm turning to The Experts here because this is honestly like my most difficult thing to deal with it.  It causes constant truck rolls for no reason I would love to be able to find a way to nip this problem in the bud.
Disabling sleep via adb still works fine. All mine are configured as such

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I do have them reserved on my MAC table on my router and can confirm the fire tv is on the correct IP. Even C4 under network tools says its online. But i'm getting a weird LUA output. It says online then offline then no response. I can confirm that is the only device on my network with that IP. Also the to make the irUSB work I would have to purchase another OTG usb cable to use this. If Im not mistaken.

printscreen.png

I do have them reserved on my MAC table on my router and can confirm the fire tv is on the correct IP. Even C4 under network tools says its online. But i'm getting a weird LUA output. It says online then offline then no response. I can confirm that is the only device on my network with that IP. Also the to make the irUSB work I would have to purchase another OTG usb cable to use this. If Im not mistaken.
printscreen.thumb.png.8ec61f39311d72d53da556b37dc1868c.png
Did you enable adb?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Hello,

In your previous screenshot I see you have Plex driver there also, is the Plex client running on the fire tv?

If so, the fire tv can only accept one adb connection at once which is why your control driver may not be working, temporarily disable the Plex driver and then see if the driver for control works, there is a workaround and it is to use he houselogix fire tv driver with the Plex control driver, it does work but sometimes it’s hit and miss.

Like the previous guy said make sure adb is enabled, one other thing you could do is set the fire tv to DHCP and use the DHCP IP to control it via control4.

Let me know how you get on
Muj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The new FireTV 4K with HDR has too many issues with Control 4 integration. Initially the Driver worked but extremely slow. We then tried Fire TV driver from fusion research and that was a little bit better but still slow. Now after a new firmware update both drivers stopped working. The Old Fire TV 4k is a tiny bit slow, but it is good. Not sure if there is some thing wrong with the new Fire TV 4K or the Control 4 driver. I think irUsb may be the best alternative, but you have to spend as much money as the FireTV it self, to make it work.

Yes, adb authentication seems to be the issue. With the Fire TV or stick, if I try to connect via ADB from my laptop it just goes through. On the Fire TV 4k it prompts to trust the device. Looking online I see other products requiring an update to handle it. 

ex: https://forum.simplecontrol.com/t/problem-controlling-fire-tv-4k/2745/12

Sounds like Control4 needs to update the driver to support the trust capability and for now we can't control the new device :(

From what I can see Fire OS5 is ok but Fire OS6 is not controllable using the existing driver, I have 2 clients with the new Fire TV HRD both are running OS6.0 which are not working but both clients have earlier generation fire TV units, which are on Fire OS 5 and they are working fine.

The current driver v115 reports "No response from Fire TV"

Mak

On 1/6/2018 at 12:49 PM, makidoja said:

From what I can see Fire OS5 is ok but Fire OS6 is not controllable using the existing driver, I have 2 clients with the new Fire TV HRD both are running OS6.0 which are not working but both clients have earlier generation fire TV units, which are on Fire OS 5 and they are working fine.

The current driver v115 reports "No response from Fire TV"

Mak

Exact issue I'm seeing. Fire TV stick running 5.x fine. Fire TV 4k running 6.2.1.2 no good and get the same. When I try to connect with ADB to 5.x I get right in no auth. When I try to connect with ADB to 6.x it asks me to trust the device on the fire TV. 

How can we get C4 to take a look and update the driver accordingly? 

Thx

1 hour ago, rips420 said:

Exact issue I'm seeing. Fire TV stick running 5.x fine. Fire TV 4k running 6.2.1.2 no good and get the same. When I try to connect with ADB to 5.x I get right in no auth. When I try to connect with ADB to 6.x it asks me to trust the device on the fire TV. 

How can we get C4 to take a look and update the driver accordingly? 

Thx

Control4 is aware of the issue.

"Amazon made a change to their ADB implementation on the FireTV 4K that seems to require authentication. We do not have this authentication code."

As such currently the only solution is to utilise the Videostorm IRUSB dongle.  Note you will need an OTG cable with external power to get it to work (you can get these off ebay or amazon for cheap).

We have a new driver coming out for the IRUSB which adds mini app support.  Just need to package it up.

• 4 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, Brian@gibson said:

Any update on correcting the IP driver for the new OS on the FireTV? I'm from Canada and recently purchased the FireTV while I was down in the US last month. Haven't been able to get this to work and I cannot get the IRUSB dongle from Canada.

no update as of yet.

Archived