C4 Forums | Control4

Programming with float variable

Svdmerwe

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had a need to use a float variable so far...

But I'd do some debugging.

first - obviously - check your variable is float, not int

second, try manually setting the value in the value box and see if it holds.

or, try a single decimal to see if that value holds and work up from there.

Remove the "0" and see if it gives you result. If it does, there's a chance the system is processing the second command before actually executing the first - but a 500ms delay in there and see if it works (can try 100ms after confirming it works on 500)

• 4 weeks later...

I have found the following:

- assigning a float value to the float variable works, no problem example assigning 0.254 to TestFloatA variable of type float.

- the problem is with adding to that value:

I tested the following:

added 0.254 five times to TestFloatA (with an initial value of 0.254) - did it by manually executing a piece of code 5 times (pressing EXECUTE button)

the expected result should have been 1.524 but the result is 0

added 1.254 five times to TestFloatD (with an initial value of 0)

the expected result should have been 6.27 but the result is 5

Conclusion: it seems as if the value to the right of the decimal sign is ignored when adding (+) values

(Note: I have tried to use delays but it does not make a difference)

My testing confirms the same problem.

You can programmatically set the float variable to a floating point value such as 2.954

However the 'Set to Random Value Between' and the '+' programming options in composer are not working.

I'm assuming it is not simply a display issue, as the 'Set to Value' is working fine and you can see the variable has a value with decimals.

Likely a bug where the developer has referenced the value as integer instead of float/double/decimal.

Probably need someone @ C4 like @Derrick Cain who has been active on the forums before to have a look, or push this to the right person.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to enter a defect on this issue, but can't reproduce it on the upcoming 2.10.2 release.

I added the same 1.254 value 5x times, and came up with the correct result (6.27).

I tried the random between 0 and 100, and got 85.377, and a different value (again, with 3 digits precision) when I executed it again.

I don't have a timeframe or schedule for when it will release, but it appears this has already been addressed in 2.10.2.

Thanks for bringing it up.

RyanE

Archived