C4 Forums | Control4

Projection Clock

bdo21

This is only partly Control4 related so apologies for the slightly off topic post.

My wife likes a projection clock to glance up at during the night and see the time and I thought it could be interesting to create a custom clock with a projector which could show the time but, depending on the time of the night, also other information such as the weather forecast, status of the alarm, etc using information from Control4 and other sources. I assume I could use a raspberry pi to create the image for the projector. A key consideration though is we wouldn’t want much light - the LCD numbers are bright enough. Could a mini projector provide no more light than a projection clock (when just showing the time)? Perhaps another way of asking, can the projector provide a real black background for whatever text is being displayed at the time?

Thank you

Well the true nature of a projector is to use a light source shining through a color wheel that spins around based on content.  The projector will show a black background but it certainly won't be a true black.  Plus, when its running, there are fans running to keep the bulb cool, etc.

Sounds like a nifty idea, but in the end, I think your wife will be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived