C4 Forums | Control4

Inexpensive shades or blinds?

elee532

Is anyone aware of reasonable priced blinds or shades that will work with C4 system? I thought I read about some Lutron blinds that started at about $299, but I can’t find where I read that or maybe I was mistaken. I need two shades for my basement theater, and was hoping I could get something in the $200 to $300 range. Any recommendations?

46 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Is anyone aware of reasonable priced blinds or shades that will work with C4 system? I thought I read about some Lutron blinds that started at about $299, but I can’t find where I read that or maybe I was mistaken. I need two shades for my basement theater, and was hoping I could get something in the $200 to $300 range. Any recommendations?

I believe the somfy/Bali branded blinds from Lowe’s, Home Depot or jc  penny’s will work with the proper somfy hub and or driver. I did some research awhile ago and will try to find some old info. 

On 1/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, eggzlot said:

I believe the somfy/Bali branded blinds from Lowe’s, Home Depot or jc  penny’s will work with the proper somfy hub and or driver. I did some research awhile ago and will try to find some old info. 

I have the Bali blinds from Lowe’s. They currently use zwave for control and I have them linked to control4 using a Vera. It provides 2 way control and works well for me. 

One thing to note is that I have multiple blinds next to each other and they all start to go down in order and not totally in sync like Lutron. 

7 hours ago, reddevils9892 said:

I have the Bali blinds from Lowe’s. They currently use zwave for control and I have them linked to control4 using a Vera. It provides 2 way control and works well for me. 

One thing to note is that I have multiple blinds next to each other and they all start to go down in order and not totally in sync like Lutron. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting how the commands are rolling and not in sync. Can you select and program to a % such as 50% open or 75% open or is just totally up and totally down?  

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting how the commands are rolling and not in sync. Can you select and program to a % such as 50% open or 75% open or is just totally up and totally down?  

I believe you can set it to a set percentage if setup that way. I hav them setup to just go up or down because of how I use them. I have control4 open them at sunrise and close them after sunset   

4 hours ago, elee532 said:

Thanks again for the lead @eggzlot! Those Bali motorized blinds look like they will do the trick within my budget. 👍

@reddevils9892, can you tell me what is a “Vera?” Is this an extra part that would be required to use my C4 to control the Bali shades?

Thanks!

Vera is a z wave hub that can link to control4. So you have the blinds connect to Vera and then link it to control4. 

6 hours ago, reddevils9892 said:

I believe you can set it to a set percentage if setup that way. I hav them setup to just go up or down because of how I use them. I have control4 open them at sunrise and close them after sunset   

Vera is a z wave hub that can link to control4. So you have the blinds connect to Vera and then link it to control4. 

In your navigator interface (app, touchscreen or on a tv) is it on/off like a light switch or a slider like a dimmer?

Ditto on the combination of Balis+Vera hub.  That's what I have, ordered them from Costco but sometimes they are cheaper there, sometimes at Lowes, etc.  You just need your dealer to install the right C4 driver and you are good to go.  And yes, they can be controlled on a percentage basis from C4.  See screenshot.

image1.png.6a76c5c0c2ca122e4eca46cd527ec3e0.png

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
17 hours ago, alhouko said:

It appears there are many options for the Vera hubs.  Does anyone have a link to what they purchased?  Also is it one hub per blind or how does it integrate?

I got the Vera Plus, it's been very stable.

https://www.amazon.com/Vera-Control-VeraPlus-US-Smart-Controller/dp/B01BX9P89Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537879857&sr=8-3&keywords=vera+plus

One hub controls all the blinds.  What your C4 dealer will do is set up one instance of the Vera blinds driver in control4 for each blind.  Each instance of the driver appears in C4 as a different blind you can control.  When you move the slider for a blind in C4, it sends a command to the one Vera controller, which actually controls the blind, and reports back blind status to C4.

8 hours ago, elee532 said:

I’m finally looking at buying some of these shades. With the Bali’s, do I need to get the single-shade remote or the multi-shade remote (which is $50 extra)?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your choice.  the multi-shade remote is not needed, but after setup with Vera/C4 you can continue to use the little remotes if you set them up with Vera too  (they are just zwave devices).  I got the singles, they are useful to have around.  I could think of some use cases where you might want the multishade remote.

Your choice.  the multi-shade remote is not needed, but after setup with Vera/C4 you can continue to use the little remotes if you set them up with Vera too  (they are just zwave devices).  I got the singles, they are useful to have around.  I could think of some use cases where you might want the multishade remote.

So, if my plan is to use just Vera and C4 to control the shades, then I actually could get away without either remote? Thanks!

On 9/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, alhouko said:

It appears there are many options for the Vera hubs.  Does anyone have a link to what they purchased?  Also is it one hub per blind or how does it integrate?

I went with Vera Plus and it has been rock solid (knock on wood). @chopedogg88 was able to set it up remotely. 

19 hours ago, elee532 said:

So, if my plan is to use just Vera and C4 to control the shades, then I actually could get away without either remote? Thanks!

You'll want to have a remote around because there is some one-time programming you do with it (setting upper and lower limits for the blind, for instance).  Mine are just sitting in a drawer somewhere in case they're needed again.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to follow and note that (1) Bali Pleated Shade with Autoview motorization was pretty much the cheapest z-wave shade I could fine (and they look quite nice); (2) I connected them to the Vera Edge controller which I picked up as an open box on Amazon for about $65; and (3) @chopedogg88 had me programmed and running in about an hour!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.