C4 Forums | Control4

What type of cable do I need to control projector without Ethernet?

elee532

I just replaced the TV in my EA 1 system with an Epson 2150 projector. The projector does not have an Ethernet connection (though it does have built-in WiFi). The projector is connected to my Denon AVR via HDMI. What other type of cable should I run to the projector in order to control it with C4?

Well you could just use rj45 clips and purchase rj45-rs232 adapters relatively cheap  

if doing ir, you can just splice the bud right to the conductors.  You could also do the same with rs232 .  All depends on what you’re comfortable with  

When you are using these things do you need to use a null modem or crossover so that TXD at one end is going to RXD at the other?  If you use cables that are straight through then won't you get TXD at one end connected to TXD at the other end?  I remember from like 30 years ago that you may have to crossover pins 2-3, and 7-8.

Kind of like this:

ModemCrossdb9.aspx

6 hours ago, zaphod said:

When you are using these things do you need to use a null modem or crossover so that TXD at one end is going to RXD at the other?  If you use cables that are straight through then won't you get TXD at one end connected to TXD at the other end?  I remember from like 30 years ago that you may have to crossover pins 2-3, and 7-8.

Kind of like this:

ModemCrossdb9.aspx

Most items that are rs232 only need pins 2,3 and 5. The driver documentation usually mentions if it is straight or crossed over. That is why I like connectors with captive screws in case you need to flip polarity. Also if you do enough installs to warrant needing one if these, it is nice to have visual confirmation the cable is right as well as seeing traffic when the LEDs flash

CableMax RS-232 LED link Tester DB-9 Male to DB-9 Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OT995U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qRyuAb1JPTYSX

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help with this @sonic30101. I got it working... on the first try no less. 🙂

One follow-up... I want to connect the 3.5mm plug end to a keystone connector, and then run a run a cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end between the EA1 and the keystone jack. I can’t seem to find a 3.5 mm mono keystone jack... can I use a stereo 3.5mm keystone jack or will that not work since my cable is in using a mono plug? 

Thanks!

3 wire stereo will be good as long as you use the ground wire for sleeve and the tip wire which should be left channel or white. If you have a volunteer to test continuity that would be easiest. In all reality as long as it is straight through the entire way and you have the emitter plugged in at the very end you will be fine with 3 conductor stereo

Archived