C4 Forums | Control4

New product Idea, Control4 Reciever

carl01

I know this has been explored before with a c4 & sony partnership. I would love to see C4 release a new surround processor. 

Surely this could be more viable now with the aquisitions of triad and leaf. 

A 5 & 7 channel version with an Ea1 on board, using triads ice power amps.

as i understand before it was available through the retail market was only available in the states and did not do very well, (could be wrong).

If this exsisted i would use lots of them. 

Thoughts? 

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

AVRs specs and HDMI change way too often for this IMO. URC made one and it was crap. Those sonys were meh. Crestron has their own procise processors that are just avrs (no built in processors) and they are nice but way too overpriced and cant keep up with the constantly changing landscape.

• 1 year later...

Sony was so meh I bought the 1800 not the 2800 with inbuilt C4 and as they depreciated the 2800 a few months later that was a good idea.

The idea of a 7+1 decoder / amp with the video through a matrix switch is not a bad idea though.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Sony was so meh I bought the 1800 not the 2800 with inbuilt C4 and as they depreciated the 2800 a few months later that was a good idea.

The idea of a 7+1 decoder / amp with the video through a matrix switch is not a bad idea though.

This just brought back a twitch I'd worked so hard to get rid of.  
Triad 1U 7.2 amp sounds like a solution for a HT space.

Or a 1U SS matrix decoder that hooks into the current 1U amp. Though price wise that pair is uncompetitive with a Sony et al decoder.

12 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Triad 1U 7.2 amp sounds like a solution for a HT space.

Or a 1U SS matrix decoder that hooks into the current 1U amp. Though price wise that pair is uncompetitive with a Sony et al decoder.

Oh I think there is space for a solution like that for sure, although I doubt we would see something like that any time soon if ever.  I was just reliving the first go round with this idea which was pretty much a disaster.  

Controllers should stay out of receivers...

And while I like the idea of a Triad powered small format surround amp (for 'low level' surround zones) I just don't know if there's much of a market for it. Or I should say, if there's a real need for another brand of surround receivers.

Probably right, but I ponder how much space inside the average receiver exists because of the desire for big volume knobs and display screens when in an integrator led installation this is invisible to the user.

Sony (and others) have gone the right way with the buttons behind the magnetic slab, but that's refining not reimagining.

I wonder what Sony or others would say I'd they were given the spec of build a 1RU, 2RU or whatever receiver.

A few years ago 8 channels of matrix and 8 zones of amp was 4ru of space.

16 zones quickly became a quarter of a rack and now is 3ru plus breathing room with Triad hardware that runs a lot cooler.

Tivo takes 2ru, now you can get an appletv, roku and another widget onto 1ru.

A lot of that empty space is to limit the need for special setup to keep things cool. The rack mounted receiver is a rare use in the scope of things - the average consumer tends to cram a receiver in a cabinet leaving little to no space - so reacievers are big in no small part because if they were a lot smaller (but needed teh venting space) people would likely start cramming them in smaller spaces too.

2 hours ago, SMHarman said:

appletv,

can you? not sure the current version would fit in 1u height 😉

I know. I'm asking Sony to make an installer friendly device. Not many front panel buttons etc all IP controlled.

Installer can manage for cooling.

Phoenix connectors for speakers like the Triad amps etc.

It's a niche form factor for a mass market product. I don't imagine the costs of recasing and decontenting panels and displays would be huge.

can you? not sure the current version would fit in 1u height

Ah hadn't seem how porky it had got. I'm a PC and Android and very few apple products in this home. All collecting dust.

https://www.extron.com/mobile/products/product.aspx?id=ssp&subtype=413#aspnetForm

This product has been shipping for a while now.  Had hoped it would get upgraded over the years, but I don’t think it’s happening.

Decodes the audio to balanced outputs to your amp/amps in the rack.

Ive used it for more auditorium type setups.  CrestrOn has one similar too.

Such a niche product.  If this had a single HDmi in and the price lowered a bit, I’d use these things constantly.

17 hours ago, SMHarman said:

I know. I'm asking Sony to make an installer friendly device. Not many front panel buttons etc all IP controlled.

Installer can manage for cooling.

I got ya, make no mistake, I'd love to have a few options along these lines - I just don't know if there's enough of a market to do it. One of these things i'd prefer to be wrong on 😄

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.