C4 Forums | Control4

Philips Hue

k3nnis

Hi All,

How do I add Hue lighting scenes into C4? I have it working with turn off/on and changing the colours and brightness. For example if I want savannah sunset the values are:
Color X is 0.641 Color Y is 0.3332
Brightness real value is 199
Brightness is 78% Red is 100% Green is 62% Blue is 22%

Where in programming do I add this?

Want to be able to select the scene on the navigator of the C4 iOS app.

Thanks.
K.

OP - all you are asking for is to have access to those levels from the iOS app - advanced lighting scenes just show up as a list on there. So once you create that scene, it's already just a push away without any other programming.

Creating scenes can be done with Composer or even direct from any screen interface other than iPhone (unless that's recently been changed - it's a screen realestate thing)

FYI - if you are into light strips you might want to look into using the Dresden Elektronik ballast with generic light strips rather than the Hue.  The Hue strip is very expensive and only 2m/6ft.  You can buy pretty much the same strips for about $10 for a 5m/16ft strip.  The controller I mentioned will allow this to show up as a Hue light.  So, as long as you have repeaters, you could do a 100ft for under $200.

Thanks for the info. Why are the Philips so expensive? Quality difference? Brighter?

Is the back of the TV a better spot to install the strip or on the back of the tv entertainment unit a better spot? My TV has a stand on a tv cabinet

Also will the philips hue motion sensor integrate with C4?

8 hours ago, Bogdy said:

There is an driver for the sensor, reading motion and temperature, here:

Thats great new - My dealer as just added the driver, but says they is no control for switching on and off - Not at home so can not see what he as done !!! 

6 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Thats great new - My dealer as just added the driver, but says they is no control for switching on and off - Not at home so can not see what he as done !!! 

Dear Gary, the driver is solely for hue sensors. I'm using the driver for my home alarm and additionally the standard ExtraVegetables Hue light driver (shipped with the composer). You can PM me if having trouble installing it.

19 hours ago, k3nnis said:

Thanks for the info. Why are the Philips so expensive? Quality difference? Brighter?

Is the back of the TV a better spot to install the strip or on the back of the tv entertainment unit a better spot? My TV has a stand on a tv cabinet

Not sure why they are so much more expensive.  It could be higher quality but the strips look very similar - I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made in the same factories in China.   I guess the Zigbee radio is somewhat expensive but you only need one of those for each zone that you have.

The ones that I have are fine indoors and in some outdoor applications.  Where they work best is on the underside of cabinets in the kitchen and even under the bottom of the cabinet toe "cut-outs" projecting onto the floor.  That effect looks very nice, particularly at night.  I tried putting these outside on my pool fence, pool deck, and cabana.  The ones on the fence have been a big failure as I can't seem to get my joints to be water-tight and I have joints every six feet or so.  I tried heat-shrinking and then silicone to seal everything but still have issues.  The ones on the cabana and deck have worked well.  With long ones you need power repeaters every 5m or so which need 12V power.

I think the back of the TV would look better as then the light would be projected away from the TV and on to the entertainment unit.

The light strips are generally 12V DC.  So you need a AC-DC converter which can be anything from a small brick to a larger power supply depending on how much power you need.  Ideally you may have an outlet inside or under the cabinet that is out of site.  Then you just have to run smaller wires out - two or four-five depending on where you put the controller and whether the strips are RGB or RGBW.  Or if you have an open basement under the cabinets you could put it down there and run the wires up through a hole.  I haven't done that but I may in the future.  Since this is low voltage there shouldn't be safety issues.  (Don't know if you have basements in Aus - here in Canada we do. )

I'm using a normal light strip for 10-15 euro and replaced the LED strip controller with a Milight strip controller (30 euro) and then bought (http://www.milight.com/milight-wifi-box/) which has already a driver for Control4 (controlled over wifi). There is a limitation that the control box can only control 4 light groups, so you might need more than one box depending on your setup. Works great and it is stable! Unfortunatelly I don't have driver link anymore but I'm sure google helps. :)

BR, Bogdan

Archived