C4 Forums | Control4

9.2 receiver

C4CA

Doesn't pretty much every TV have an analog output from a 3.5mm headphone-style jack?  And if not that then RCA.  I have about 10 TVs of various brands (Toshiba, Sharp, Sony, LG, Vizio, etc)  and I am pretty sure that every one of them has some sort of an analog output.

One of the few brands that I don't own.  Most of these are somewhat older.  I used to cascade them down from theater > bedroom > kitchen, etc.   But it is hard to cascade down the 80" that is in the theater now.  I can put a 60" TV in most places as my house is large, but 80 is just a bit much for most rooms.

16 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Not all tv's have variable volume out, especially toslink out so that amp wouldn't particularly be an option in many cases

Very valid point... So, TOSLINK is the cable, S/PDIF is the protocol carried on the cable.  S/PDIF supports setting the volume, but it's up to the TV if it supports changing the volume on the S/PDIF output.  Many don't, because the most common use of TOSLINK and S/PDIF is to hook up to a soundbar or AVR.

Not sure of a good way to test if your particular TV does or not, other than Internet research, checking forums, looking through the menus, etc.  If it doesn't then the next best solution would be a soundbar or a preamp with a remote control (whose codes you could program into C4 if necessary), but these solutions all start to approach cheap AVR territory.

Archived