C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced lighting and custom buttons

w-r-g

Just installed composer HE and creating some custom buttons and scenes. I have several custom buttons which I use to call lighting scenes. How do I deactivate the scene from the same button I use to activate the scene? I created a toggle and tried that but it did not work. This is a new install and many of the scenes I am creating will be bound to actual buttons on keypads by my dealer because HE won't let me do that either.  Surely there is a way to simply deactivate the scene instead of making another button just to turn it off? 

The easiest way is to create a toggle scene in advanced lighting and then use the toggle command.  I think from your post that you have done the second half of this but not the first?
I think the toggle scene are not bound to each other

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm experiencing a similar issue and would appreciate any help.

I have a couple of six-button keypads that I'd like to toggle scenes with.  For example, when pressing Button 1, I'd like to activate a scene, and when pressing again, deactivate the scene.  I have created a scene with all of the lights on, and then used the Create Default button to create a toggle scene with all of the lights off.  I took a guess with the connection and associated Button 1 on the keypad with the Toggle Button Link for the scene that I created.

When testing everything, the scene for Button 1 activates just fine when pressed, but I can't get it to deactivate or toggle when pressing the button again.  I tested the same concept with a separate button and scene with fewer switches involved, and everything works fine.  I'm scratching my head a little on this one.

Below are some screenshots:

Scene with Lights On

image.png.99887274774dbb3c77d7106c7eb90d65.png

Scene with Lights Off (Toggle Scene)

image.png.38971ae2c21b87ba270f1f59e604f63b.png

Connections

image.png.fd235ddd65cc9080193f849dd6b91ba1.png

I don't have a Toggle Scene configured for the "off" scene, but when testing, it didn't change anything.

In addition to toggling the scene, I'd like to have the light color of the button change when the scenes are activated/deactivated.  I took another guess and tried to configure it as shown below, but I don't know what is considered "On" and "Off" for the button.

image.png.f5b1baf1ac109798336b58ae38973e8d.png

Assuming that I can get this working, is it possible to replicate the same functionality on a separate keypad that involves the same scenes, or does it throw a wrench in things when the Button Link is associated with more than one button?

Any help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

This looks like you haven't configured the toggle scene and bound it both directions and also made sure lights were off in the toggle. Your binding looks right

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I know that I'm in the right hands when you respond to one of my posts.  As always, thank you for your help.

I'll try to change the toggle setting on the "off" scene again tonight.  I tried it last night and it didn't make a difference.  I also have a separate button associated with a difference scene, and even though the "off" scene doesn't have a toggle setting either, it works like it should.  If adding a scene to the Toggle Scene field doesn't change anything, do you have any other recommendations?

Any thoughts on the button color change?  I'm not sure if I'm on the right track on that one.

Thanks again!

On 3/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, burowyako said:

image.png.fd235ddd65cc9080193f849dd6b91ba1.png

I don't have a Toggle Scene configured for the "off" scene, but when testing, it didn't change anything.

In addition to toggling the scene, I'd like to have the light color of the button change when the scenes are activated/deactivated.  I took another guess and tried to configure it as shown below, but I don't know what is considered "On" and "Off" for the button.

image.png.f5b1baf1ac109798336b58ae38973e8d.png

Assuming that I can get this working, is it possible to replicate the same functionality on a separate keypad that involves the same scenes, or does it throw a wrench in things when the Button Link is associated with more than one button?

Any help is appreciated!

I'm not sure how your system is set up but I've seen this problem when there's only one controller in the project and its not placed in a central location relative to the majority of C4 lighting.  Eg, in a rack in the basement.  This may not your actual problem but I've seen inconsistent behavior when this is the case.  It could be something else.  It looks like you have everything set right.  Make sure you don't have any programming left behind if that was your previous method of controlling that advanced lighting scene with a button press.

For proper LED tracking, the easiest way is connecting/binding the advanced lighting scene to keypad button, which is the way you're setting it up. Click Follow Bound Color check box and change your colors below for on and off.   You may need to change the LED colors in the advanced lighting scene too.  I haven't programmed a 6 button keypad in awhile so I can't remember if its necessary for connections but necessary for programming led colors for when advanced lighting scenes are active or inactive.  Go to the Trophy Light advanced lighting scene and change the Active LED color to what you want to see when the lights in that group are at their final scene level (On) and select the proper inactive LED color too.  Do the same for the Trophy Light Off scene but remember, "Active" does not necessarily mean that lights are neither ON nor OFF.  Active means that all the tracking conditions in the lighting scenes are met (including All Loads or Any Loads).  In this case, ACTIVE would mean that all the lights are off so choose your LED color accordingly.   I sometimes like to change the Tracking for all the lights in the On scene to  "Is On"  and I check "Any Load" so it will trigger that scene to be active if ANY one of the lights in that group are on.  

• 2 years later...

Having similar issue, I think everything is correct but when I try to turn off lighting scene w keypad it cycles the dmx lighting back to purple and doesn't even attempt anything w cans or fan light. End up w same "on" scene. Thoughts?

Toggle On.gif

Toggle Off.jpg

Bindings.jpg

When you use the keypad to turn them on does the on scene show as active in composer?  Seems like that isn't happening which is why your toggle scene would never fire off.  I don't see why it wouldn't based on your screen shots, but at least that could maybe point us in the right direction.

Ok that's why your toggle scene is never firing.  I wonder if something isn't report back accurately.  Do your panels all show online, pull the firmware into the driver etc?  In the advanced lighting scene you could start switching individual loads to don't track.  Then if you can get the scene to show active you'll at least be able to figure out where the problem lies.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.