C4 Forums | Control4

Questions about Kodi Full driver and Nvidia Shield with IRUSB

elee532

I'm not sure whether I am misunderstanding how Nvidia Shield and Kodi Full Driver work togehter, or maybe something is configured wrong? Here's my situation...

I just added an Nvidia Shield to my EA1 system. I want to use the Shield to run Kodi as well as other Nvidia Shield apps such as Netflix. I have an IRUSB installed. I also have the latest Kodi Full driver installed.

When using the C4 app on my iPad, I can choose a button such as Kodi Movies or Kodi Music, and Kodi successfully launches.

The issue I am having is that:

(1) I don't have any button in C4 to take me to the Nvidia Shield home screen. Should there be a button in C4 to launch me into the Nvidia Shield home page?

(2) When I am in Kodi, the only way that I can see to get back to the Shield home page is to choose Kodi Control icon, navigate to the Kodi main screen, and select the Exit button. Is there a faster way to jump out of Kodi to the Shield's home page?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, elee532 said:

I'm not sure whether I am misunderstanding how Nvidia Shield and Kodi Full Driver work togehter, or maybe something is configured wrong? Here's my situation...

I just added an Nvidia Shield to my EA1 system. I want to use the Shield to run Kodi as well as other Nvidia Shield apps such as Netflix. I have an IRUSB installed. I also have the latest Kodi Full driver installed.

When using the C4 app on my iPad, I can choose a button such as Kodi Movies or Kodi Music, and Kodi successfully launches.

The issue I am having is that:

(1) I don't have any button in C4 to take me to the Nvidia Shield home screen. Should there be a button in C4 to launch me into the Nvidia Shield home page?

(2) When I am in Kodi, the only way that I can see to get back to the Shield home page is to choose Kodi Control icon, navigate to the Kodi main screen, and select the Exit button. Is there a faster way to jump out of Kodi to the Shield's home page?

Thanks!

You are using it correctly.  Our Nvidia Shield support on the Kodi full driver is limited to controlling the box when Kodi has quit.

you will need to quit Kodi and launch your apps manually using your sr260/250 remote.

So, if I am at a Room Off state, how do I get to the Nvidia Shield home screen (so I can then launch apps like Netflix or Amazon)?

What I am doing currently is choosing the Kodi Control button (this turns on my system and brings me to the Kodi home screen). Next, I exit Kodi. Now, I’m at the Shield’s home screen where I can launch other apps.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Am I? My wife will not go for this. :P

13 hours ago, elee532 said:

So, if I am at a Room Off state, how do I get to the Nvidia Shield home screen (so I can then launch apps like Netflix or Amazon)?

What I am doing currently is choosing the Kodi Control button (this turns on my system and brings me to the Kodi home screen). Next, I exit Kodi. Now, I’m at the Shield’s home screen where I can launch other apps.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Am I? My wife will not go for this. :P

That is the correct way of doing it.  Integration for the IRUSB in Kodi Full is primarily to get Kodi to launch upon selection.  It does provide transport controls for when you quit the app as you have noticed.

Again you are doing things correctly.

4 hours ago, elee532 said:

Hi @alanchow,

Just pinging you again to see if you can share whether it is on your development roadmap for your Kodi Full driver and your Nvidia Shield driver (or @videostorm Shield driver) to be able co-exist? 

Thanks?

It may actually work as is IF you use both drivers with a virtual switcher.  I haven't tested this but if you want to test please use the 7 day trial out before purchase.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:05 AM, alanchow said:

It may actually work as is IF you use both drivers with a virtual switcher.  I haven't tested this but if you want to test please use the 7 day trial out before purchase.

Hi @alanchow

The person doing my programming asked if you could elaborate a little more on what you mean by “use both drivers with a virtual switcher?”

Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Hi @alanchow

The person doing my programming asked if you could elaborate a little more on what you mean by “use both drivers with a virtual switcher?”

Thanks!!

Add in a fake switch so you can use both drivers.  Thats pretty much it.  Don't know how much more i can elaborate on it.  Again i stress that I haven't tested this but if you want to test please use the 7 day trial out before purchase.

Add in a fake switch so you can use both drivers.  Thats pretty much it.  Don't know how much more i can elaborate on it.  Again i stress that I haven't tested this but if you want to test please use the 7 day trial out before purchase.

Okay. Thanks. I will pass this along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have him add a driver for a 2 input HDMI to 1 output hdmi.  Bind it to an IR port, bond your hdmi devices and endpoint.

That will get you a virtual switch (that doesn’t actually do anything).  It’s just so the system thinks there is a switch so you can bind/route things accordingly. 

@alanchow

issue with kodi full full and nvidia shield with irusb

1.  play a movie while kodi in background - kodi crashes -need to program to bring kodi to front first (launch app command would do that via irusb)

If I try to do this via programming for the room when video source changes  it works to bring up kodi but need to hit play on movie second time on t3 to play

1 hour ago, Ilushka85 said:

@alanchow

issue with kodi full full and nvidia shield with irusb

1.  play a movie while kodi in background - kodi crashes -need to program to bring kodi to front first (launch app command would do that via irusb)

If I try to do this via programming for the room when video source changes  it works to bring up kodi but need to hit play on movie second time on t3 to play

Thanks for the report.  Kodi shouldn't ever be on in the background.  We have designed it in a way where you have to quit kodi in order for the normal IRUSB behavior to work.

I will add in some logic to force Kodi to restart if you room off the system so that you can browse whilst in an off state.

13 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Thanks for the report.  Kodi shouldn't ever be on in the background.  We have designed it in a way where you have to quit kodi in order for the normal IRUSB behavior to work.

I will add in some logic to force Kodi to restart if you room off the system so that you can browse whilst in an off state.

The scenario where kodi goes to background is if you also use your Nvidia Shield driver or irusb driver and start the room to YouTube or amazon or other app. In that scenario kodi goes to background.  

13 hours ago, Ilushka85 said:

The scenario where kodi goes to background is if you also use your Nvidia Shield driver or irusb driver and start the room to YouTube or amazon or other app. In that scenario kodi goes to background.  

@alanchow just wanted to see your thoughts on how to handle this scenario?

Archived