C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - TP-Link Wifi Smart Home Driver Suite

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png 

Chowmain - TP-Link Wifi Smart Home Driver Suite

Chowmain has integrated the range of TP-Link Wifi based Smart Home products into Control4 with two way control and feedback.  This provides easy to retrofit solutions for outlet/power strip control, inwall switch control, Inwall dimmer control and also LED bulb control.  The hardware is extremely affordable with outlets starting at $24.99 MSRP, bulbs at $19.99 MSRP, light switches at $39.99 MSRP and power strips at $79.99 MSRP.  It definately adds value to any Control4 installation.

Smart Plugs / Power Strips

Control4 supplies the wireless outlet switch that makes any household plug-in device, like lamps, appliances and electronics part of the Control4 system by turning a standard outlet into a smart outlet.

Unfortunately this device is not available to the majority of the world as it only supports 120VAC voltage for US plug type devices.

Introducing the tp-link HSXXX series of Wi-Fi smart plugs. It has plug types and regulatory compliance for the majority of the world and is extremely affordable. This WiFi based power outlet supports up to 10amps and can be easily integrated into the Control4 home automation system using the Chowmain TP-Link HSXXX driver.

The HS110 & HS300 versions can be utilised for energy monitoring and management using our driver and Control4.  It can also be useful for device health monitoring and also for automatic selection of manually controlled AV devices like Playstation 4’s, Xbox One’s and the Nintendo Switch.

Features

• Automatic Discovery
  • Self Healing on IP Address change
  • Abilty to connect driver to outlet light or relay device drivers which in turn allows you to view the correct icon on navigator interface or even eliminate standby power on AV based devices.
  • Ability to connect driver to keypad buttons (with LED feedback) to allow for quick on/off/toggle programming
  • Ability to monitor and manage energy using insight based switches.
  • Ability to use energy monitoring in HS110/HS300 outlets for automatic selection and room off of Playstation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and other manually controlled devices
  • On/Off feedback from the device. 

Bulbs

Control4 have provided a variety of lighting solutions for circuit level control.  They have yet to offer an easy to install solution for lamps or individual lights.  The TP-Link solves this problem with their affordable range of Wifi bulbs.  These wifi bulbs can be dimmed, the color temperature can be changed to suit the customer's lifestyle (eg warmer white vs cooler white) and the hue color bulbs can be used for various functionality including notifications via colors (eg flash red and blue to alert the customer).

Features

• Automatic Discovery
  • Automatically hide Color, Saturation and temperature depending on the bulb type.
  • Ability to change modes between Color Temp and Hue
  • Allows control and feedback over
    • Brightness
    • Hue
    • Saturation
    • Color Temp
  • Ability to connect driver to keypad buttons (with LED feedback) to allow for quick on/off/toggle programming
  • Preset Level and Click Ramp Rate Support

In-Wall Solutions

TP-Link’s range of in-wall solutions off elegant and affordable circuit level control over almost every connected device including dimmable lighting circuits, non dimmable lighting circuits and power outlet / GPO.

Features

• Automatic Discovery

• Dimming control over light dimmers for HS220 units

• On/Off control over light switches for HS200 units

• On/Off control over individual outlets for KP200 units

• Preset Level and Click Ramp Rate Support

FAQ 

What hardware will this work on? 
This driver will work for the following devices. 

Bulbs

• LB100
  • LB110
  • LB120
  • LB130
  • LB200
  • LB230

Smart Plugs / Power Strips

• HS100
  • HS103
  • HS105
  • HS107
  • HS110
  • HS300
  • KP200

In-wall Wall Switches, Dimmers & Outlets

• HS200
  • HS220
  • KP200

It may also work with other models of the TP-Link smart home products but they are untested.

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver? 

• In Australia we do not have access to the Control4 outlet switch. As such we cannot easily integrate floor lamps, bedside table lights, fans, electric heaters, towel rails, etc easily. This driver fills in the gap to integrate these devices into the Control4 system. 
  • This driver allows connection to the Control4 outlet light driver and any relay based binding. As such you can get the correct icon on your navigator and also bind it to your AV device to minimise standby power. 
  • This driver can also detect power usage statistics from the HS110 outlet. This can be useful for programming energy management based actions. 
  • This driver allows connection to any Control4 keypad for ease of use programming. 
  • On HS110/HS300 outlets you can turn on your Xbox One, Playstation 4 or Nintendo Switch using their controller and have Control4 automatically turn on the system to the right inputs. Turn off the console using the console's controller or power button and have Control4 automatically turn the room off. 
  • The KP200 device offers two in-wall outlets which is used to replace existing outlets rather than plugging in a smart plug.
  • The KP400 device is an IP64 rated outdoor smart plug with two outlets. It is air tight and rain proof.

How do I find out more information about the driver? 
Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Chowmain Website 

Installation Guide 

How do I buy the driver? 
This driver can be purchased from our distributor driverCentral. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence 

Who do i contact for technical support? 
We have two support desks. One in Australia and one in the US. Click on the link below for details. 

Support 

Do you provide trial licences? 
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 7 day trial. 

HS-300.jpgHS-107.jpgKP-400.jpgHS-100.jpgHS-200.jpgHS-220.jpgKP-200.jpg

tplinksmartwifilightbulbs.jpg 

LBXXX+Control4.png?format=750w

MAJOR UPDATE

• Support for additional TP-Link smart home products - LED Bulbs, Wall Switches and Outlets (see original post)
  • Support for dynamic ip addresses.  Self healing + auto discovery

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Alan - does this driver allow an outlet switch, like an HS100, to be bound to a light so that you can have devices show up as lights in C4?  Just like with the C4 outlet switch/dimmer?

Yes you can bind it to the Outlet Light driver.  Note it does not show up in Advanced Lighting Scenes but you can get around that by programming it on the light scene event fired.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE

This driver suite now supports the following models.

I am exceptionally fond of the HS300 power strip as they are so versitile.  It is bang for buck in comparison to other similar solutions.  Throw it behind a TV or inside a rack and you get 6 controllable outlets with energy monitoring.  The energy monitoring can be programmed with in control4 to automatically select a source or turn off a room.  This is great for non controllable devices such as playstations and xboxes where you would pick up the original gaming controller and have Control4 setup the room automatically.

12 hours ago, alanchow said:

UPDATE

I am exceptionally fond of the HS300 power strip as they are so versitile.  It is bang for buck in comparison to other similar solutions.  Throw it behind a TV or inside a rack and you get 6 controllable outlets with energy monitoring.  The energy monitoring can be programmed with in control4 to automatically select a source or turn off a room.  This is great for non controllable devices such as playstations and xboxes where you would pick up the original gaming controller and have Control4 setup the room automatically.

@alanchow

What are the TP-Link 220V (UK plug) compatible devices?

13 hours ago, alanchow said:

UPDATE

would the hs300 allow for a "reboot" vs just toggling aka turning something off?  If I had a modem plugged in or a switch plugged in could I reboot the modem or the switch?  I guess you could send a command to turn off then have control4 send another command a few seconds later to turn it back on?  this is all local so if the modem is down (being rebooted) the command to turn back on would work?

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

would the hs300 allow for a "reboot" vs just toggling aka turning something off?  If I had a modem plugged in or a switch plugged in could I reboot the modem or the switch?  I guess you could send a command to turn off then have control4 send another command a few seconds later to turn it back on?  this is all local so if the modem is down (being rebooted) the command to turn back on would work?

I have my modem on one of these TP-Link plugs because it's in a wall box behind my rack and hard to access. As long as my router is up, I can power off and then power on the plug to power cycle the modem like you mentioned. It works great. I haven't gotten Alan's driver yet, but assume the commands would work the same as those in the native app that I've been using for that purpose.  

6 hours ago, Zuhair said:

@alanchow

What are the TP-Link 220V (UK plug) compatible devices?

The driver is compatible with these UK TP-Link smart home devices (which is all plugs and bulbs available in the UK)

• LB100
  • LB110
  • LB120
  • LB130
  • HS100
  • HS110
4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

The driver allows for ON and OFF commands.  Just be mindful that if you power cycle something network related that connects Control4 to the HS300 (ie switch or access point) it won't turn it back on.  If the modem is not in that routing path then it should be ok in theory.  Note this is nothing to do with the driver.

45 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

Our driver may also work with the HS220 (dimmer version) but honestly nobody has tested it.  If it would work it would be using the LB driver.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, thegizzard said:

I got it to work using the HS driver.  I will try it with the LB to get dimming to work properly.

I actually ordered a HS220 from amazon along with a step down transformer.  The HS220 is different from the LB range so had to develop a new driver specific to that.  It is currently in beta and will be released once i do some more changes to the other TP-Link drivers.  At this stage it is scheduled for a March release as i will be away in europe / ISE for a while starting next week.

I purchased the HS210 kit which comes with 2 switches.  Its a great deal.  I paid about $50  and it works perfectly on a 3-way switch.  In fact you only need to replace one switch in the 3-way circuit.  You can leave the others at dumb switches and it the TP-link switch works perfectly.  It senses and reports correctly when a dumb switch turns off the circuit.  This is much better than my other C4 implementation which requires at C4 switch and a keypad to make a 3-way work... and way less expensive.   My c4 switches have been going strong almost 10 years... but they are dying one at a time.   I am replacing these with TP-link switches... way more economical and the chowmain driver works perfectly.   I dont need triple tap and led colors and all of that.  I dont think that extra functionality is worth the premium paid.

These TP-Link switches are the truth.  Plus Alexa integration out of the box.  Pretty nice.   Thanks Alan.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Also improved feedback on HS107 and HS300 models (using direct communications rather than broadcast communications).  Should fix problems on certain networks that don't like to route broadcast traffic.

Our TP-Link suite now supports inwall switches, inwall dimmers, various outlets, powerboards and a whole range of smart bulbs including RGB bulbs and color temp bulbs.  Really happy with the TP-Link range of products and will continue to integrate the products as they come out with new stuff.

With the HS220 being added is there a way to bind it to something that will enable dimming through C4? So far i have only been able to add it as an outlet light which provides on/off but no dimming? Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Disregard--- Found the new driver, i was trying to add the HSXXX

On 2/22/2019 at 3:30 AM, alanchow said:

UPDATE

Also improved feedback on HS107 and HS300 models (using direct communications rather than broadcast communications).  Should fix problems on certain networks that don't like to route broadcast traffic.

Do you know if by any chance these switches will ever become available in the UK?

On 2/28/2019 at 4:00 PM, jgmz said:

Will this work with  Kasa Smart Outdoor Plug 2-Outlet Weather-Resistant Plug | KP400?

We haven't tested it with this model yet but i assume it'll be utilising the HS107 driver since that is a 2 plug outlet as well.

You can find a list of all supported models via the product page on our website.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/tplink-control4

On 3/2/2019 at 8:07 AM, tdougray said:

Do you know if by any chance these switches will ever become available in the UK?

No idea.  You should reach out to your local TP-Link representative to enquire about this.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:47 AM, alanchow said:

UPDATE

That sounds interesting. How would you use the X-Box remote to trigger a macro etc though? 

Dave

1 minute ago, Dave Bowen said:

That sounds interesting. How would you use the X-Box remote to trigger a macro etc though? 

Dave

The power sensing on the outlet will automatically turn the system on and switch inputs.  See the driver documentation for details.