C4 Forums | Control4

Removing Control4

Not sure if this has been discussed, but currently I have the C416S2EB 16x16 audio matrix switch and the C416AMP3B 8 zone audio amp. I’d like to remove Control4 from the equation and use the audio hardware to play audio from a single Sonos source using the Sonos app. Is this possible?

1 sonos player feeding into the global input of an 8 zone amp or an amp with multiple channels and a few speaker selectors can work but you won't have individual volume control across the speakers via the app so quite a step backwards. If you are having issues you could probably get a remote dealer to get you taken care of. Bigger question is why do you want to remove your system? What is the main controller you have?

I have a couple 250’s and an 800. I’m just tired of not being able to tinker with things on my own. The system works fairly poorly. I’ve been replacing functionality slowly, and audio is the last thing. Even right now we rather listen to an Echo than deal with Control4. 

So so I would lose volume control for individual rooms?

You can feed the echo into the matrix and amp as well as hook up sonos as a source into control4 and use those if you prefer them over native c4 services. Only way to get individual zone vollume would be to get 8 sonos connects and an 8 zone amp or 8 sonos connect amps which will set you back a pretty penny. Sounds like you need someone to do a tuneup. Do you have Composer HE? That will give you some programming control. What you are talking about is comparable to selling a 2012 loaded honda accord that needs new fluids and tires to go buy a brand base model ford fiesta

2 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

Generally a poorly working system is dealer error.
I would defiantly look for a new dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, probably just need some optimization based on how you truly want to use the system. If it is cumbersome to use then it wasnt set up properly. And those controllers can run current OS version so you can utilize composer HE and alexa that way or an epic driver and have a good experience. Especially with that matrix, you have plenty of inputs to go around

I have dealt with URC, RTI, crestron and control4 systems. And the ones that the customer always hated were the ones implemented incorrectly. You already have a powerful infrastructure that can be leveraged. But I understand having a bad taste in your mouth does quite a bit of damage. You can go full sonos but you will probably spend 3-4k  in just hardware making sure you get 8 independent zones that have the ability to group when asked. So if you are happy with spending that, you are the one living and using it everyday.

23 hours ago, erichter2018 said:

I appreciate that this is C4 forum and thus somewhat biased but I’ve had it for 6 years and that’s long enough. I’ve repaced all the remotes with Harmony remotes and have had 0 problems. Before, I had to call someone several tones a year when they stopped working. 

Your choices are: 

• 1 Sonos Connect and a 16 channel (8 zone) amplifier (you can probably reuse the C4 one).  All zones play the same music at the same volume at the same time (no individual zone control at all)
  • 8 Sonos Connect Amps.  You get individual zone control, but this solution will cost you about $4000 (shelf price).
  • A different Whole Home Audio solution, such as Nuvo.

Honestly, if Whole Home Audio is the only thing you're after, Control4 is way overkill.  The C4 value proposition is in the integration and automation of many disparate home systems (audio, video, lighting, security, sprinklers, climate, shades/blinds, etc.).  If you no longer have any interest in that value proposition then one of the three solutions above should work for you.

24 minutes ago, livitup said:

Your choices are: 

• 1 Sonos Connect and a 16 channel (8 zone) amplifier (you can probably reuse the C4 one).  All zones play the same music at the same volume at the same time (no individual zone control at all)
  • 8 Sonos Connect Amps.  You get individual zone control, but this solution will cost you about $4000 (shelf price).
  • A different Whole Home Audio solution, such as Nuvo.

Honestly, if Whole Home Audio is the only thing you're after, Control4 is way overkill.  The C4 value proposition is in the integration and automation of many disparate home systems (audio, video, lighting, security, sprinklers, climate, shades/blinds, etc.).  If you no longer have any interest in that value proposition then one of the three solutions above should work for you.

I would even say that if you want an audio only solution Control4 is not just overkill but just not as good as some others. If you don’t need to tie in video then the need for Control4 goes away. That is where Control shines  

Another option is to get 8 Sonos Connects and use them with the existing Control4 amp. Gives volume control. 

If you don’t have to have Sonos then Russound is a good option. Bad thing is while they have always been dealer only they are trying to crack down now on non dealers which is silly. 

13 hours ago, therockhr said:

Another option is to get 8 Sonos Connects and use them with the existing Control4 amp

You would be leaving the amp on all the time at 80-100% volume. You would be better leaving the amp and hc800, locking the inputs and doing 1 last programming run to set the amp to use audio sensing. Turning on the zone and stopping a timer when signal is present, then when it stops start the timer. And when the timer expires turn the zone off. This will make it so you can just go get 8 sonos connects and plug them into the amp, never mess with the c4 UI and as long as no hardware fails never need additional programming. If cost is an issue you could group some zones strategically so you would only need 3 or 4 sonos connects which will give you some volume control through the sonos app but not each of your existing zones

I'm having a hard time getting the amp to behave...  I disconnected the 16 channel Matrix processor and I'm running Sonos Connect directly into the amp with RCA cables...  The amp however seems to only play music if the sensitivity of the input is basically at 100%, and even then will pretty quickly enter some sort of a standby mode, with the zone numbers on the front colored amber (normally blue when active).  Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, erichter2018 said:

I'm having a hard time getting the amp to behave...  I disconnected the 16 channel Matrix processor and I'm running Sonos Connect directly into the amp with RCA cables...  The amp however seems to only play music if the sensitivity of the input is basically at 100%, and even then will pretty quickly enter some sort of a standby mode, with the zone numbers on the front colored amber (normally blue when active).  Any thoughts?

get an amp that isn't control4? You really need a control4 controller to properly use a control4 amp

13 minutes ago, erichter2018 said:

My understanding was that this particular amp was a "dumb" amp - it really only has RCA inputs, sensitivity knob, Stereo/line in vs global selector and a bridge selector per zone.  No ethernet connection, nothing that would make it be "special"....  Am I mistaken?

Are you sure you have the right part #? The C416AMP3B doesn't have global inputs.

38 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Yeah check that product number. You shouldn't have a 16x16 audio matrix AND an 8-zone matrix amp. The 8-zone matrix would be redundant.

You can lock the inputs and the upside is higher wattage per channel but it looks like the inventory was incorrect and he has a "dummy" amp so multiple sonos connects could work if the amp is set to auto on via signal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.