C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi changes causing any network disruption?

wappinghigh

One of the suggestions of a possible cause of my current network trouble is Unifi WAPs.

For the life of me I can't get Unifi Controller software to work on my current version of OSX....

So I can't upgrade the firmware of the three Unifi WAP's I have on the network to see if that resolves the problem...

And because my network is grinding to a hault the WAPs can't been seen on a different version of Unifi Controller running on an older version of OSX on an older machine...

I've tried upgrading them using the Unifi App, they are all found no problem via wifi but I can't upgrade them using the app go figure I get an error "the device is or has been managed by a controller" "please use the controller mode or do a factor reset and re-configure"..

I can't/don't want to do that.. a couple are high up buried  in the ceiling...and I have spent previous hours configuring them working just fine the way I want with fixed IPs and all... they were working great for like over 6 months...

So pray tell what consumer decided to run the Unifi firmware upgrade path that way? Ya'll think Unifi customers had any say over that? Or why Apple/Unifi don't act friendly together an' all anymore?

See what I mean? ....and you guys all think networks are always stable, you never have to touch them  and there is never ever any third party randomness "from left field" thrown into a network...?

Yeah sure thing (not)...

I mean it's just happens ok? This proves it..

IMG_5049.JPG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the suggestions of a possible cause of my current network trouble is Unifi WAPs.
For the life of me I can't get Unifi Controller software to work on my current version of OSX....
So I can't upgrade the firmware of the three Unifi WAP's I have on the network to see if that resolves the problem...
And because my network is grinding to a hault the WAPs can't been seen on a different version of Unifi Controller running on an older version of OSX on an older machine...
I've tried upgrading them using the Unifi App, they are all found no problem via wifi but I can't upgrade them using the app go figure I get an error "the device is or has been managed by a controller" "please use the controller mode or do a factor reset and re-configure"..
I can't/don't want to do that.. a couple are high up buried  in the ceiling...and I have spent previous hours configuring them working just fine the way I want with fixed IPs and all... they were working great for like over 6 months...
So pray tell what consumer decided to run the Unifi firmware upgrade path that way? Ya'll think Unifi customers had any say over that? Or why Apple/Unifi don't act friendly together an' all anymore?
See what I mean? ....and you guys all think networks are always stable, you never have to touch them  and there is never ever any third party randomness "from left field" thrown into a network...?
Yeah sure thing (not)...
I mean it's just happens ok? This proves it..

IMG_5049.JPG.c580b68b9c7e948dd9ab85696f10db6c.JPG
Get a UniFi cloud key and do all this from the browser.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Also what version of OS X?

IN my world checking for software updates is like "checking vitals".  I always start there to get a baseline of what I am dealing with.  

IMHO, always the best place to start when you are having problems is to make sure everything is updated.

PS - I really want this fixed cause your rants are NOT the norm.  and they are old

Thanks dude... Im on 10.13.2 running on a 4K top spec mac book pro with ssd 16 RAM its hardly "old" Dude... P.S t's not a rant when Ive been putting up with this for over 6 years :) but sure I'll go 10.13.3 and 5.6.30 just been working on many other things and solutions dude... Cheers 

Thanks dude... Im on 10.13.2 running on a 4K top spec mac book pro with ssd 16 RAM its hardly "old" Dude... P.S t's not a rant when Ive been putting up with this for over 6 years  but sure I'll go 10.13.3 and 5.6.30 just been working on many other things and solutions dude... Cheers 
What about Java? You still haven't answered that

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

What about Java? You still haven't answered that

yep installed but can't get Unifi controller to load... there is a bug or something it's well known Dude... ive had to move it out on the desktop... Look Dude really appreciate the help an all but if this was easy and just worked it would have been done already :) 

yep installed but can't get Unifi controller to load... there is a bug or something it's well known Dude... ive had to move it out on the desktop... Look Dude really appreciate the help an all but if this was easy and just worked it would have been done already  
Why don't you read UniFi forums?

...look dude I aint in the Unifi Controller team Dude.. I have no idea what's goin on between Unifi and Apple... Do you? Or why it doesn't just work and load right up there like it should KBOOM first time. Or why ya'll can't firmware update from the ios app? How the heck does anyone know? 

...look dude I aint in the Unifi Controller team Dude.. I have no idea what's goin on between Unifi and Apple... Do you? Or why it doesn't just work and load right up there like it should KBOOM first time. Or why ya'll can't firmware update from the ios app? How the heck does anyone know? 
No. I don't work for UniFi either. What I am saying is they have forums too. They are helpful with UniFi problems.

I was just pointing out that getting UniFi help on a c4 forum can only get you so far.

But it's fine. I'll go back to ignoring you

Just now, msgreenf said:

No. I don't work for UniFi either. What I am saying is they have forums too. They are helpful with UniFi problems.

I was just pointing out that getting UniFi help on a c4 forum can only get you so far.

But it's fine. I'll go back to ignoring you

Thanks. Unifi was like 1 hour investigation way back like 15 hours ago into the route cause of the problem...something that is quite hard to do I might add with network problems... I couldn't solve it so I moved on spent 14 hours trying other things... Thanks for the ignore anyway Appreciate it. :) 

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

And why do you always have an attitude? I am trying to help and you just start with this "look dude" attitude

Because you came out first with the smart arse comment that Unifi cloud keys  had been out for ages... like I was stupid or something.. what has that got to do with whether or not the OSX app works?

Thanks. Unifi was like 1 hour investigation way back like 15 hours ago into the route cause of the problem...something that is quite hard to do I might add with network problems... I couldn't solve it so I moved on spent 14 hours trying other things... Thanks for the ignore anyway Appreciate it.  
So you think that if UniFi support that are experts can't help then a control4 forum can?

What does the server.log file read? 

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004872967 it’ll be in the base directory/server.log

wap, just chill. He didn’t say anything wrong. Your reply to his comment about the cloud key made it seem you didn’t know about it. Either way, once this is sorted, invest in the cloud key and it’ll be much much easier. 

Archived