C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi changes causing any network disruption?

wappinghigh

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

ok, shot yourself in the foot, don't do it but don't come back here complaining

Thanks for that. I guess if they remain off my network it will stop me "complaining" (your words)...

I tend to think of it as warning others  - anyway.

BTW Did you get my PM?

6 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Thanks for that. I guess if they remain off my network it will stop me "complaining" (your words)...

I tend to think of it as warning others  - anyway.

BTW Did you get my PM?

yes, just didn't have time to respond. I was busy when you sent it.

Honestly your post is a warning to people about 2 things:

1) don't muck with stuff you don't understand

2) keep things updated. UniFi is TERRIBLE in terms of firmware updates - they are ALWAYS releasing them

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yes, just didn't have time to respond. I was busy when you sent it.

Honestly your post is a warning to people about 2 things:

1) don't muck with stuff you don't understand

Yep I didn't I did just that - left them sitting there doing there thing. Hadn't logged into Unifi Server in months. Last I checked all was fine.

2) keep things updated. UniFi is TERRIBLE in terms of firmware updates - they are ALWAYS releasing them

Yep I should have had firmware setting left on auto. Agree with that..

Cheers for everything anyway

Time to enjoy the sunshine.

Cheerio all

W

2 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

3) keep up to date about latest products, tips, tricks & optimisations. 

Also if you said that the problem started when you got a new laptop, I could’ve told you the problem within 30 seconds of reading your post. 

That's nice. Thanks for that. Time to enjoy the sunshine

W

41 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

If you had it on auto updates you probably would have been ok. Highly recommend it for ubifi

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sure. Nice to know that now though.. (would have been better if I'd known that prior..) you live and learn I guess...

Other systems are better with autoupdate left off. My router. TV's/HT amps etc (because an update can get in the way of viewing) OSX updates even....

How do you determine which is best leave on or off? Or if it's manual only-> when to do it? 

Control4 firmware being a good example..better in my experience to wait till 2.x.1 etc. Sonos was a great example - remember that one? broke  C4<>Sonos talking ... etc etc

There some general rules you apply here?

Just curious... 

(Thanks for all the help BTW)

Time to enjoy the sunshine... 

I like my Unifi stuff too, but shouldn’t you be doing upgrades every once in a while?

Yes I do upgrades on monthly site visits or call outs

As with many of my customers I have a plan setup for me to come in once or twice a month to do upgrades cleaning and minor changes that need to be made to either contorl4 or RTi or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Wapping High,

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

Your average network tech can setup a Unifi Network in an average home in about 30-45 minutes.

Works awesome with Apple products too.

I think there are two things you should do to move forward:

1) Spend $100 and have an IT guy trained in Unifi to come over and do this stuff for you. $100 is cheaper then what a Psychotherapist is going to charge you to reverse the mental anguish it seems you are taking on from this project.

2) Instead of writing so much in hear complaining, spend your valuable time in the Unifi forums and read the Unifi support articles. There are great Youtube videos as well.

Peace and Love!

My whole house is loaded with unifi try loading older unifi controller software... also if you have another laptop or desktop try those.. worst case get the cloud key and adopt it into your network and use that to do your update last but not least full hard reset and build it back up slowly 

On 2/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, wappinghigh said:

Maybe I will maybe I won't... happy right now that the network seems to be back. Cheers. 

Keep in mind that all the unifi devices take a while to adapt and get provisioned so be patient.. keep refreshing 

Archived