C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Outlet Dimmers

ejn1

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with their outlet dimmers going in and out of connection to the system.   They are consistently the most unreliable C4 component in my house.  I have 4 of them ranging from 18mos to 5 years old and half of them are now coming in and out of zigbee connection and they are withing 15 feet of a controller.   Crazy.

29 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with their outlet dimmers going in and out of connection to the system.   They are consistently the most unreliable C4 component in my house.  I have 4 of them ranging from 18mos to 5 years old and half of them are now coming in and out of zigbee connection and they are withing 15 feet of a controller.   Crazy.

Unfortunately they are known to NOT be the most reliable in staying connected to the zigbee mesh.  There are other options but the Control4 zwave dongle along with the supported zwave modules/receptacles below are the better native choice.

eg

Leviton    Z-Wave DZPD3 Lamp Dimmer Module

Leviton    Z-Wave VRPA1 Appliance Module

GE    Z-Wave ZW1001 In-Wall Outlet or Z-Wave ZW1002 In-Wall Outlet

Leviton    Z-WaveIn-wall VRR15 Decora Receptacle

They are beyond terrible. I really designed a good portion of my lighting are around them (my wife likes lamps), and they just drop off the mesh all the time.  I have fired my dealer over this and am looking for new one (I am torn between using a remote dealer vs trying another local shop, so I have done nothing for months).

Even the X-10 outlets works better, way better in fact.  I have had to rent an apartment out-of-state for business, so not worth putting in C4, and you know what? The X-10 outlets and RF remotes work perfectly (as long as you have enough load, you can't just hook up one low-wattage LED bulb, but there are ways around this). 

Back at my C4 house, rather than going the Z-Wave dongle route to solve the outlet/lamp problem, I am about to switch to WiFi controlled outlets that work with Alexa, since I now control the C4 lighting via Alexa, thanks to knowitall's brilliant suggestion to go that route to solve various other problems I was having (with C4 remotes).  I think WiFi outlets are a better choice than WiFi bulbs for control of lamps, for many reasons, but mostly because we have spent so much time picking the right LED bulbs (lumens, temperature, shape) for each lamp.

C4 should offer a mail-in return service for these outlets, giving you a credit towards the purchase of other C4 items from your dealer, dollar-for-dollar.  Are you listening, C4?

20 hours ago, dcovach said:

Unfortunately they are known to NOT be the most reliable in staying connected to the zigbee mesh.  There are other options but the Control4 zwave dongle along with the supported zwave modules/receptacles below are the better native choice.

eg

Thanks for alternatives!!!

18 hours ago, Larry said:

They are beyond terrible. I really designed a good portion of my lighting are around them (my wife likes lamps), and they just drop off the mesh all the time.  I have fired my dealer over this and am looking for new one (I am torn between using a remote dealer vs trying another local shop, so I have done nothing for months).

Even the X-10 outlets works better, way better in fact.  I have had to rent an apartment out-of-state for business, so not worth putting in C4, and you know what? The X-10 outlets and RF remotes work perfectly (as long as you have enough load, you can't just hook up one low-wattage LED bulb, but there are ways around this). 

Back at my C4 house, rather than going the Z-Wave dongle route to solve the outlet/lamp problem, I am about to switch to WiFi controlled outlets that work with Alexa, since I now control the C4 lighting via Alexa, thanks to knowitall's brilliant suggestion to go that route to solve various other problems I was having (with C4 remotes).  I think WiFi outlets are a better choice than WiFi bulbs for control of lamps, for many reasons, but mostly because we have spent so much time picking the right LED bulbs (lumens, temperature, shape) for each lamp.

C4 should offer a mail-in return service for these outlets, giving you a credit towards the purchase of other C4 items from your dealer, dollar-for-dollar.  Are you listening, C4?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  Having reliable lamp control should be a basic foundational item for COntrol4 to get right.   Amazing these are such POS.

20 hours ago, dcovach said:

eg

What kind of range are you getting with the dongle?

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

What kind of range are you getting with the dongle?

The range is quite good, but you'll get the best range + repeating capabilities with C4 supported Zwave PLUS devices.  The C4 zwave dongle is a zwave plus device but is backwards compatible. There's a big improvement with zwave plus.  I like the GE Zwave zw1001 and zw1002 (newer).  I found a Jasco cross reference for those in case you can't find GE,  however, I have yet to confirm .  14288 and 12721 respectively

17 hours ago, dcovach said:

The range is quite good, but you'll get the best range + repeating capabilities with C4 supported Zwave PLUS devices.  The C4 zwave dongle is a zwave plus device but is backwards compatible. There's a big improvement with zwave plus.  I like the GE Zwave zw1001 and zw1002 (newer).  I found a Jasco cross reference for those in case you can't find GE,  however, I have yet to confirm .  14288 and 12721 respectively

Thanks, I see a GE 14288 on Amazon... I dont see a zw1002....   C4 has drivers for the switches you mentioned?   Thanks!

12 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks, I see a GE 14288 on Amazon... I dont see a zw1002....   C4 has drivers for the switches you mentioned?   Thanks!

Ge Zw1002 is supposed to be the same in wall receptacle as the jasco 14288, although I have not tried the jasco version yet. C4 drivers are available for the list of supported zwave devices, which includes the Ge zw1002. Do you already have the c4 zwave dongle?

11 hours ago, dcovach said:

Ge Zw1002 is supposed to be the same in wall receptacle as the jasco 14288, although I have not tried the jasco version yet. C4 drivers are available for the list of supported zwave devices, which includes the Ge zw1002. Do you already have the c4 zwave dongle?

I dont have the dongle yet.   Also, a bummer that these outlets are not dimmable like the the control4 one...

So the z-wave dongle is working well?  I have a 2 story house with z-wave scattered through it.  If I could drop my wink and maybe my vera box I would.  I would need the dongle and module for my ea5 correct?  MSRP? not counting programming, obviously

6 minutes ago, ecschnei said:

So the z-wave dongle is working well?  I have a 2 story house with z-wave scattered through it.  If I could drop my wink and maybe my vera box I would.  I would need the dongle and module for my ea5 correct?  MSRP? not counting programming, obviously

As stated above, the Axxess zibee device would be a good option too.  Works natively with C4.

In CAD currency, MSRP of the usb dongle is $65 module is $95.  You need both.

I wouldn't ditch the wink or the vera as of yet until you confirm compatibility with what you currently have.  Only the following zwave devices will work natively with the dongle/module.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/pd2r0og93f343gp/c4 zwave.jpg?dl=0

Couldn't you just go with a Belkin Wemo outlet and then just get the Houselogix driver to get to the switch via IP? Has anyone tried that?

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/belkin-wemo-control4-driver

Or Chowmein driver?

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/belkin-wemo-switch-control4-driver-chowmain/

Here's the Wemo plug I was talking about...

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C063;jsessionid=13D95043AE6B1FB819E8C237D99C4B19/

Couldn't you just go with a Belkin Wemo outlet and then just get the Houselogix driver to get to the switch via IP? Has anyone tried that?

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/belkin-wemo-control4-driver

Or Chowmein driver?

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/belkin-wemo-switch-control4-driver-chowmain/

Here's the Wemo plug I was talking about...

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C063;jsessionid=13D95043AE6B1FB819E8C237D99C4B19/

Archived