C4 Forums | Control4

iTunes driver powering of my receiver

Hello C4 Braintrust,

This one has been stumping me for some time, and I'm hoping you all have some additional insight, or potentially ran into this scenario before.

Currently I have the iTunes driver installed, AirPlaying to ShairBridge on my controller.  The controller is connected directly to my Denon receiver, and the ShairBidge driver is configured to auto-power room, auto-power is disabled for the iTunes driver.

The issue I'm experiencing is that if the iTunes driver is already playing a song, and I pick a new one my receiver get's powered off.  If I use the controls to go to the next or previous song using the iOS app or T3 it works as expected, and the receiver remains powered on.  It seems specific to only selecting a new song from the menu.

So far I have tested the following scenarios.

1. Start playing song (iTunes driver), auto-power room on ShairBridge (Enabled), receiver powers on and song plays, pick new song, the receiver powers off.
  2. Start playing song (iTunes driver), auto-power room on ShairBridge (Disabled), receiver powers on and song plays, pick new song, the receiver powers off.
  3. Start playing song (iTunes driver) with the iTunes driver configured to AirPlay to my receiver (not ShairBridge), pick new song, receiver remains on.
  4. AirPlay from iTunes (Mac) to ShairBridge, pick new song, receiver remains on.
  5. AirPlay from iPhone to ShariBridge, pick new song receiver remains on.

I verified that none of the iTunes driver states have been configured to power off the receiver.  It appears that the issue is specific to the iTunes drivers interaction with ShairBridge as far as I can tell.  Or something possibly connections related, I am not a dealer and my purview is limited to Composer Home Edition.

I should also note that I am running 2.10.1, though the issue was present on 2.10, and 2.9.1.  All drivers were upgraded by my remote integrator with the 2.10 upgrade.

I also enabled debug logging for my receiver, iTunes driver, and ShairBridge and ran through scenario #1.  You can clearly see the that a receiver variable is changed, followed immediately by the power off command.  I looked for programming on all variables for my receiver, iTunes driver, and ShairBridge and did not find any.  Using push notifications I was able to tell it was simply updating the POWER_STATE Boolean variable.

So far I have been able to program around this issue by checking the power state of my receiver when the iTunes driver is a playing state, and to power it up if not.  However I am concerned long term, of the effects of rapid power cycling my receiver will incur as a result.

Any thoughts on this one would be most appreciated, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Would that be a setting I have access to via Composer Home Edition?  Currently I only see "AutoRoom Select," nothing specifically power related.  I see a power section on the iTunes driver but I don't have it configured, as not to interfere with ShairBridge. I have configured it in the past but it didn't have an impact.

ShairBridge.jpg

iTunes.jpg

On 2/15/2018 at 2:42 PM, msgreenf said:

its sharebridge - when you change the song it ends the stream and starts a new stream.  Maybe use auto power on and not auto power off?

Would anyone be able to confirm whether or not the setting being mentioned is available only in Composer?  I can't seem to find it in Composer HE.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately modifying those values didn't resolve the issue.

A few weeks back my integrator was able to duplicate the problem on his setup, and got in touch with Control4.  Turns out this is a known issue, and the manager at the Test & Quality division of the C4 told our C4 support rep working on the case the following.

" The iTunes/Airplay driver was not intended to be used with Shairbridge when the driver was designed (that's why the documentation never says anything about Shairbridge). I would not expect it to be fixed."

I was able to implement a workaround by configuring the following.  The delay would likely need to be adjusted for each individual's setup.  For me it takes 9 sections to get everything powered on, and ready to play music so I put a delay so I don't miss the first 9 seconds of a newly selected song.

Workaround.jpg.8f360c05fb53c57cd327dbf956e36917.jpg

• 2 months later...

To close this thread out, I ended up installing Twonky on my iMac. Thus leveraging the DLNA driver which solving all my power issues I had iTunes/ShairBridge, but I can still manage my library via iTunes.  Twonky is very feature rich and has search support, iTunes playlist import etc.  Given the extra horsepower of the iMac compared to my NAS it performs much better, faster loading album art compared to running DLNA via Synology Media Server.

Another useful script for populating folder.jpg files for all your albums if you're managing your library via iTunes.

Archived