C4 Forums | Control4

What keypad would I need for this?

elee532

I currently have a 3 gang light switch that controls different sets of light in my media room. I’m thinking about adding a C4 keypad. I’d like to

1. Be able to dim the lights
  2. Turn on and off all three sets of light with one button
  3. Turn up or down my receiver volume.
  4. Turn off my room

Would a keypad such as this KD-120 Be what I need to accomplish this? Thanks!!

So, I’m trying to figure out how to minimize the number of switches/keypads needed. I’m not averse to combining switches if possible. I don’t care about dimming any lights other than the set of 3 recessed lights in the back of the room (and even those I don’t really see myself ever dimming). I don’t understand why they put these lights on so many different switches. One combined switch for the stairway light and media room lights and one switch for the laundry room lights would have been sufficient. 🙂 Anyway, i welcome any suggestions that might get me closer to a $500 budget. 

1. Single light switch at the top of the stair that controls the stairway light. I want to control media system volume from this switch.  (KEYPAD DIMMER)
  2. 3-gang box at the bottom of the stairs: Switch A controls the stairway light (same as the switch at the top of the stairs) (AUXILIARY KEYPAD); Switch B controls a single light at the bottom of the stairs plus the lights in the laundry room (SWITCH); Switch C controls a single light at the front of the media room. (SWITCH).
  3. A second 3-gang box right next to the first one: Switch D controls 3 recessed lights in the back of the room . (SWITCH or DIMMER) Switches E & F control power outlets in the room (I don't use these for anything).

I have nothing in the Control4 world that will get you to $500.

For B&C, how about making the outlets always hot and disconnecting the switches, taking away two of the 5?

If you want to go Casseta or similar, you could add a Pico wall mounted at the top of the stairs in addition to the switch there to do the volume (i think) and Casseta dimmers/switches everywhere else. That would get you down around your budget I would think. You’d need the Lutron smart bridge pro as well

I changed my numbering scheme above for a little clarity...

Yes, I think making outlets E & F always hot makes is a good suggestion.

Im wondering if it’s possible/easy to have an electrician rewire so that the light at the bottom of the stairs, the light at the front of the room, and the recessed lights at the back of the room are all on one switch. The laundry room is on its own switch. And the stairway light is on its own switch. I think that would get me down to 1 keypad dimmer (top of stairs for stairway light), 1 aux keypad (for the 3 way stairway light switch), and one dimmer (for the other lights assuming it’s possible to combine them). 

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, elee532 said:

Im wondering if it’s possible/easy to have an electrician rewire so that the light at the bottom of the stairs, the light at the front of the room, and the recessed lights at the back of the room are all on one switch.

May run into issues with a dimmer here unless they are all the same bulb type

Archived