C4 Forums | Control4

Can't Access music on USB attached to HC300; Windows 10 permissions

I'm unable to add to or modify music content on my USB drive when its attached directly to my HC 300. I've seen other posts on this issue, but those posts don't resolve my issue.

I'm using Windows 10, 64-bit. I have the C4 HC 300, with a Western Digital 1TB USB 3.0 drive, formatted FAT32, attached directly to the HC 300. I did have the same USB drive attached to an HC 1000 which, according to my dealer, just died. So, he removed the HC 1000 and said I'd be fine using only my HC 300 and USB drive.

I have lots of songs on the USB drive. Mostly MP3, with some FLAC. 

When the USB drive was connected to the HC 1000, from Composer 2.7.2, I could add to the USB drive or modify its content. Or, I could go into my network from my PC and add or modify music, then scan drive again via Composer. Whatever ownership the HC 1000 had over the USB drive content did not interfere with my shared control of the same content via my PC.

Now, with only the HC 300 and the USB drive connected to the back of it,  I have to disconnect the USB drive from HC 300 to modify or add to USB drive content while connected to my PC, then disconnect from the USB drive from my PC and re-connect it to the HC 300, then scan the USB drive again through Composer. We all know C4 limits our scanning options. There's no way to scan just part of a USB drive. I have to scan the whole thing, which takes about 9 hours. (Curious that it starts out scanning quickly, covering about 1/3 of the folder in 1 hour, then slows down).

Also, now when in Composer ME, I can edit music on the USB drive, but not like I could before. When going in to edit, we have the choice in Composer of "Modify in Media Library only" or "Modify in Media Library and [name of attached USB hard drive]." When I select the latter, I receive a circled red X error message "Unable to modify media!" .... "Unable to modify [album name, etc] ... "Access to the path ... [network location] ... is denied." I can execute the first edit option but that route isn't modifying the underlying media files, it only puts a "Control4" modified face on it.

I've looked into Windows 10 permissions, as I'm guessing I have a permissions issue.

This is direct from Microsoft:

"In Windows 10, we can set our stuff public or private by permissions. And it’s easy to set on the file’s properties. But sometimes, when you want to change its permissions, some error occurs, such as "Failed to Enumerate Objects in the Container." But take it easy, here we are going to tell you the quick and effective way to fix it. Kindly follow the steps below to change the settings:

1.      Right-click on the file or folder you want to change its permissions, then choose Properties.

2.      Click Advanced under Security pane.

3.      Click Change in the Owner line.

4.      Type your user name in the box, then click Check Names and OK.

5.      Check this two items: Replace owner on sub-containers and objects & Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, then click OK.

6.      If prompted by Windows Security, click Yes.

Now you can change permissions for your files normally now."

I haven't tried this approach yet. It would have me replacing Owner from "root (___________ -HO\root)" (I believe this is referring to my HC 300 as the current Owner) to my computer user name, or perhaps "Everyone." I'm afraid if I do that, then I'm removing the HC 300 as the Owner, and something bad would happen.

My dealer is of no help in these kinds of issues. Their answer is always "remoting in is not an option" and "we need to sell you more equipment, upgrade anything that has the slightest age on it." As it turns out, I never needed both the HC 1000 and HC 300 simultaneously. Case in point: they had me with both pieces for a few years, then when a tech came out to pronounce the HC 1000 dead, he said all I ever needed was my HC 300, which is where I am now.

Can anyone help here? If anyone has been able to get full control access to music content on a USB drive when its attached to an HC 300, please tell me how you did that in a Windows 10 environment.

Thank you.

C4 Fan & Loyalist

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for trying, but this approach, checking those two boxes in the Turn Windows features on or off," did not make any difference. Does anyone else have a suggestion? What about a C4 moderator?

Windows 10 won't let me make changes to permissions. I cannot even use my ME Composer to make changes to content on a USB drive attached to my HC300 Controller. I used to be able to do that, but no longer can.

When  I try to go into Properties for any of the folders of that USB drive content from my PC when that drive is attached to the HC300 Controller, Windows tells me only "root (000FFF128DAF-HO\root)" can be the Owner and have Full Control. Other users or Everyone can only have Read & execute. That is preventing me from being able to copy and paste new content onto the USB drive when it's attached to the HC300. I have to disconnect the USB drive from the HC 300 and connect the USB drive to my computer, copy to it, then connect it back to the HC300.

Archived