C4 Forums | Control4

Swapping out legacy dimmers for APD dimmers

koxkp

Question

I know I’ll have to go through the dealer to add to the project, but if you’re swapping and upgrading dimmers is there an easy way to keep programming from button taps and macros linked to the new dimmers the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, koxkp said:

I know I’ll have to go through the dealer to add to the project, but if you’re swapping and upgrading dimmers is there an easy way to keep programming from button taps and macros linked to the new dimmers the same way?

It would save a lot of time if there was an "easy" button for that, unfortunately there is not.

It would save a lot of time if there was an "easy" button for that, unfortunately there is not.
In theory it sounds pretty simple programming that allows you to check this device is old and a check mark this device is new and then you think would be a find and replace through all the programming find this device ID and replace it with this device ID does anybody know if there's a forum user "cough Ryan cough" that could put in for that feature addition, LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Uhm. The new devices have the option to 'replace legacy device' allowing you to select which device to replace that does all this......easy button does exist.

Something that’s in pro after they’re identified in the project?

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Uhm. The new devices have the option to 'replace legacy device' allowing you to select which device to replace that does all this......easy button does exist.

Unacceptable.   Complete waste of time.  Not easy enough.

Actually, never tried using it.  Been way too afraid to trust that the programming transfers completely.   Never seen it demonstrated either but I may need to take a leap of faith and become a believer.

4 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Unacceptable.   Complete waste of time.  Not easy enough.

Actually, never tried using it.  Been way too afraid to trust that the programming transfers completely.   Never seen it demonstrated either but I may need to take a leap of faith and become a believer.

It's been around for years and used regularly with no mention of failure that I've ever heard of let alone experienced....

If you're that fearful to even try it one by one ... well can't help you there.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:37 PM, Cyknight said:

It's been around for years and used regularly with no mention of failure that I've ever heard of let alone experienced....

Its definitely been there, I've just never seen a demonstration of it proving that everything transfers.  It wasn't shown in training either.  I know there's too much to cover in 4 days but some basic tips like this relating to takeovers would have been key.  I've never felt like taking a chance on customer projects when converting legacy lighting this way.  I've been exposed to mostly gen 3.  I'm more comfortable taking the safe approach as I'm not aware of the potential consequences.

* looks like there are are at least a few issues when converting

Saving the HA world one forum thread at a time! You all need cape's!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the conversion requires a bit more work after.  Any lights previously configured in the Mockupancy, Security Light, and Snapshot drivers do not get automatically replaced with the new lights after clicking the "replace light" button.  I haven't checked every driver but those ones are used a lot.  The new lights will have to be selected manually again before washing hands and walking away.

Archived