C4 Forums | Control4

Fave Programming Thingies

Shivam Paw

What are y'all favourite programming things you have setup?

My coolest one is probably a button by my bed to turn on the music in my room or when the cinema room projector is turned on, dim the lights, when it is turned off, turn them up.

Looking for some inspiration :) 

A couple I have that aren't as cool but are useful:

Set nest devices to Away when alarm is full armed
Have announcements play through custom buttons - Dinner is ready etc.

I do garage door integration that sends you a notification if the overhead door is left open for 10 minutes and if it's left open for 30 mins total it will automatically shut. Last week I drove off and hit the garage door button in my 4runner and there was ice that was blocking the door from closing completely. 10 mins later I got the notification and was able to clear the ice and close the overhead door before anything got stolen or damaged. Totally forgot I programmed that in but it just saved my ass big time last week. 

When the dryer and washing machine are done I get a notification if I am home, xfinity cable on screen/kodi on screen message, and Amazon Polly text to speech audio notifications. This also works for doorbell and a zwave sensor in the mailbox trying to emulate J.A.R.V.I.S.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm7zve84yiy2pru/20180222_175107.mp4?dl=0

Intercepted doorbell ringer wiring with a c4 controller sensor input and relay and have sonos play3s in each of my kids bedrooms. If they are playing it puts the house in silent mode because they are taking a nap. Family room AVR lowers source selection discrete volume as well as disables doorbell so the dogs don't go crazy

2 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

What are y'all favourite programming things you have setup?

My coolest one is probably a button by my bed to turn on the music in my room or when the cinema room projector is turned on, dim the lights, when it is turned off, turn them up.

Looking for some inspiration :) 

A couple I have that aren't as cool but are useful:

Set nest devices to Away when alarm is full armed
Have announcements play through custom buttons - Dinner is ready etc.

https://www.control4.com/blog/2015/10/78-home-automation-ideas

Oh I got a cool one. My version of party mode.

When I turn on party mode all the keypads in the house no longer work to control audio or video so someone can't go to my keypad dimmer and crank the volume way up or mess with things. It keeps me in control and a lot of the time guests don't understand what the buttons all do and tend to press things they shouldn't. The lighting all still works as per normal, just not the av functions programmed into the keypads 

My light switches all have different default on levels depending on the time of day. Tapping a second time turns the light to full, regardless of the preset level.

If any window or door is left open for more than a few minutes, the heat is turned off. It returns to the previous level when the window or door is closed.

Using HomeKit and Homebridge, I blended my Domoticz Zwave system with C4, passing state back and forth between the systems. This lets me control all kinds of Zwave devices using C4 and lets me talk to both systems using Siri. Say “Hey Siri, good night” and she shuts down the whole house, including devices in all three systems.

That also lets me bridge things like having a camera that C4 doesn’t support arm and disarm itself when the C4-connected alarm arms.

It also allows me to use HomeKit’s per-user geofencing to trigger events in C4 when we leave or arrive home.

I also use Raspberry Pi’s as Airplay receivers which use HTTP callbacks to turn rooms on and off when I Airplay to them from iTunes or iOS. Then C4 can turn other equipment on and off as needed, even though it’s not managing the audio stream itself (because their Airplay implementation leaves much to be desired).

Brendan

Made me think when I read the ideas from C4 site
"If the natural light in the room is less than 50%, lights adjust to 50%. If natural light is less than 40%, lights adjust to 60%, and so on.  This helps for when the shades are drawn, or on a cloudy day in the middle of summer."

What light sensor is it using?

More limited selection going native zwave

Hey Sonic,

Im sorry for hijacking this thread. Are you using any Zwave switch for bath exhaust fans? How is the status feedback when manually switched on/off? Any annoying bugs/issues with UI7?

I gave up zwave a while ago (before zwave plus) because it was super unreliable, but now I am looking for a cheap way to control 6 bath exhaust and maybe 7-8 closet lights.

What are your thoughts? I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

I have 12 ge zwave plus dimmers, a few fan switches for ceiling fans, outlet switches and dimmers, voltage meters, motions, recessed door sensors, and a sensor about 200ft away from the controller for my mailbox. And it works nicely, very reliable. Also the geofencing is better than IFTTT 

I have 12 ge zwave plus dimmers, a few fan switches for ceiling fans, outlet switches and dimmers, voltage meters, motions, recessed door sensors, and a sensor about 200ft away from the controller for my mailbox. And it works nicely, very reliable. Also the geofencing is better than IFTTT 

Thanks man. I will give it a try.
Instant feedback is very important to me, I hope it works.

Archived