C4 Forums | Control4

How difficult to re-program EA1 if I get a new AV receiver?

elee532

How big a deal is it to swap AV receiver? My Denon 4520CI receiver just went kaput. I’m trying to decide whether to repair it (at least 3 weeks wait time) or replace it with a different model. I’ve got an EA1 system with a video projector, OPPO Bluray player, Nvidia Shield/IRUSB, and PC with Kodi app. 

How big of a re-programming project am I looking at if I get a new receiver? Is re-programming easier if I stick with Denon?

Thanks!

I do not recommend going with IR control even using SDDP they still fall offline and have issues, nothing is going to be more reliable than IR (unless of course the IR emitter falls off, which can be easily prevented with IR covers). In my opinion RS-232 is the way to go.The only reason I say this is because I’m in the field every day and I see it all the time. I’ve been programming Control4 for over 13 years now so I see this a ton. To answer your question, it should take less than 10 minutes.

@chopedogg88, I was literally reading up on the 3400 when you posted this. 🙂 Sounds like this could be a good option. My only real requirements are IP controlable, 2 sub outputs, 5 channel pre-outs, audyssey MultiEQ XT32. That 3400 looks like the least expensive option that ticks all those boxes.

So glad to hear it’s not a huge re-programming job!! That being the case, I am going to see my local dealer and see if I might find one in stock tomorrow. Then, hopefully I can get my 4520ci repaired and sell it to recoup some of my costs.

Stay tuned.

Also, I got a reply from C4 on my inquiry about the projector issue. I’ll PM you what they said. 

Thanks @chrisparsons1978.   The web page for the 3400H I’m looking at notes:

The AVR-X3400H is part of Denon's range of IN·Command series of custom integration friendly AV components, equipped with a range of features to provide enhanced control capabilities and compatibility with 3rd party and custom integration solutions.

The AVR-X3400H features IP control capability for an integration with major 3rd party control devices and Control4 SDDP (Simple Device Detection Protocol) certification for quick and easy integration with Control4 home automation equipment. For direct connection to external home automation and control equipment, it's also equipped with an RS-232C serial port.

The same also looks to be true even for the cheaper 2400H model.

Sounds good, right?

re: denon and IP control, in my personal project i run 2x Denon (x5200w and x1200w) and have had zero issues on IP control... it always works. we have also integrated other customers' denon units with no issues. although rs232 is always a very solid option, i have seen no problems with denon IP/SDDP reliability 

I was at a show a couple years ago when I went to the Denon booth and the Marantz booth and even they have said that IP is not ultimately reliable if there is a quick power outage or something like that the internal network and go down and I’ve seen it I’ve been doing this for 20+ years IP is definitely the easiest but not the most reliable

Just now, chrisparsons1978 said:

I was at a show a couple years ago when I went to the Denon booth and the Marantz booth and even they have said that IP is not ultimately reliable if there is a quick power outage or something like that the internal network and go down and I’ve seen it I’ve been doing this for 20+ years IP is definitely the easiest but not the most reliable

interesting info. i keep all my systems on UPS power (double-conversion) so they never see anything except nice clean power. under those conditions they seem quite reliable. i know that if you start mucking with the web interface and run a backup or similar it can interrupt the network as well, though.

can't say i agree with your points there. most manufacturers don't spend a lot of effort upgrading firmware of embedded network chipsets (hence lots of long-standing vulnerabilities around the world). that being said, you're correct that IR and RS232 controllers are virtually untouched.  

if a system is built properly with quality gear, then you shouldn't need to reset/restart devices to prevent them from running like garbage. i have UPS units and generators in tandem with load shedding to keep the systems in homes online when power fluctuates or goes out: purely for survivability. 

oh i'm not either! that is actually quite unfortunate, it would really piss me off if it happened to me.

i generally don't identify by SDDP though if i can set the IP address itself in connections or in the driver properties. this is especially true over subnets larger than /24, and then you need to ensure you've added other subnets into the "allowed subnets" list for the project. 

i don't know that i have worked with any SDDP-identified sony TVs, but for apple TV i always just use IP address and skip SDDP (i didnt even know they did SDDP actually). 

OK I’ll keep that in mind thank you very much I’m new here and any advice you can give me is much appreciated.Us Chris’s got to stick together. 
You can't id apple TV with sddp that I am aware of

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived