C4 Forums | Control4

sip guide

cgw

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Many Thanks Guys for the Help

We have the driver (s) added one for each Phone.

Just a couple if Questions -

Will Sip work when we are not on the network ?

Bria the best app to use ?

it will not work off net - unless your phone is on an always on VPN, in which case you are never off network.

Bria is fine - they are all about the same imho

The ds2 can have an external sip configured so that it will call your mobile (configured for external sip as well) if no answer or it can call in tandom.  You will also be able to call the ds2 from the mobile using the sip account.  It's not officially supported but there is success

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

The ds2 can have an external sip configured so that it will call your mobile (configured for external sip as well) if no answer or it can call in tandom.  You will also be able to call the ds2 from the mobile using the sip account.  It's not officially supported but there is success

but wouldn't you need to have SIP opened on your gateway then? or need an internet facing SIP server?

56 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

but wouldn't you need to have SIP opened on your gateway then? or need an internet facing SIP server?

I use a voip provider.  the only one I've used is voip.ms, which works great for this but there are others that can be used too.  there's no official guide on this.  Just a lot of trial and error.  @eddy.trochez has spent a lot of time on this too and would be a great resource on how to set this up.

I use a voip provider.  the only one I've used is voip.ms, which works great for this but there are others that can be used too.  there's no official guide on this.  Just a lot of trial and error.  [mention=138243]eddy.trochez[/mention] has spent a lot of time on this too and would be a great resource on how to set this up.
Makes a ton of sense!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree with the Trail and Error. 

Tried setting with Bria and it was a bit hit and miss - So we swapped to Linphone and it works pretty well will limited testing. 

We have one way Video from Iphone to T3 Screens 

Also it looks like we have to have the app open for it to works 

Does the above sound correct ?

If you want to use Bria and the DS2 outside the home network, what you need to do is setup and account with a hosted BPX such as the one mentioned above. I personally use OnSip, it's free and it works great. There's no Control4 involvement in this scenario since the DS2 is configured to your BPX using SIP 2 in the settings. This is not a workaround solution, it just works. The Universal SIP phone driver is for local access only, it won't work outside the network.

Here's what to do:
Get a Hosted PBX account, OnSip is one, there are others. You can get one that is free.
Create the accounts for your Phones and DS2.
Create a group, this is the number the DS2 will call when someone rings the bell (If you want to call more than one device)

In the DS2:
Go to SIP 2 settings and enter your Hosted PBX credentials, make sure it registers.
In the User 1 settings:
Number 1 is the Control4 number
Number 2 is the Control4 Cloud number (this is for the upcoming mobile app)
Don't touch these numbers.

Number 3
Here's where you place the group number for your Hosted PBX Call, and it should be in this format:
number/2

That's it. You get video calls outside the network. You can unlock doors using the keypad in Bria. And if you have an HTTP license in the DS2, you can also send commands to Control4 using the keypad.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:37 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We rebooted the Touchscreens and now get video to IPhone as well as from the IPhone. 

Good for making calls - Because its need the app to be open not that good and receiving calls. 

Will look into PDX tomorrow - Very interesting 

I must say, this sounds very interesting.  Although essentially, this is what the intercom app will do also? 

Is it fairly easy to set up? I am keen to try!

Just need the driver Adding - Give it User name and password in the driver. 

Download Linphone from apple store and you user name and password you added to C4 driver. 

Leave the app open and call it via the touchscreens - May have to reboot the touchscreens - we did

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Download Linphone from apple store and you user name and password you added to C4 driver. 

Leave the app open and call it via the touchscreens - May have to reboot the touchscreens - we did

Never got my head around this. Why can't C4...a listed NASDAQ high tech HA company just make this intercom stuff work?

They have the awesome 4sight VPN service set up already....

What  precisely is the stumbling block here?

Thanks You for answering my questions.

W

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

What happens if your phone is “asleep”.  Send someone a text or something then just put your phone down.  Goes into lock/sleep whatever.  2 hours later if you are not home on your network and someone rings the doorbell - does your app wake up and answer?  Does it drain your battery?

What happens if your phone is “asleep”.  Send someone a text or something then just put your phone down.  Goes into lock/sleep whatever.  2 hours later if you are not home on your network and someone rings the doorbell - does your app wake up and answer?  Does it drain your battery?
Most of the Sip mobile apps have a run in the background setting to ensure that you don't miss anything but they do drain batteries. I know control4 is working on their implementation that I'm sure won't suffer that

At the top of the app is say registered- When the phone wake up it take some time to re - Register. 

So its not great that way  - We are only using it from the office via the Iphone so I call my wife - 

Its more of gimmick for us at the moment 

At the top of the app is say registered- When the phone wake up it take some time to re - Register. 
So its not great that way  - We are only using it from the office via the Iphone so I call my wife - 
Its more of gimmick for us at the moment 
I know bria has a run in background mode where it's always registered.

Archived