C4 Forums | Control4

Any Synology Experts here? time machine backup issue?

eggzlot

Scratching my head on this one.  I got a new NAS.

doing the first time machine backup.  I know it can take a while to index, I am fine with that.  It was done indexing around 8-9pm and started to say transferring  and give how many GB were transferred in the time machine window on the Mac.  At 7:00am today it had backed up only 11.xx GB of data and had another 800+ GB to go.  how could only 11 gb of data transfer in ~10 hours?

everything is Ethernet hardwired via Gigabit switches and cat5e.  The screen shots below show full 1000 Mbps connection and good status, etc...Is the first time machine backup just that slow?  It could take a week to get this done!

I have a copy on a NAS where my power supply died last week.  I am working on modding an exterior power supply so I can get the old NAS up and running and move the docs over to the new NAS.  Should I just move the old copy of time machine over to the new NAS and point time machine to that file?  Would that move quicker?

synology.png

synology2.png

Wish I could help E.  No experience using Time Machine (I'm a PC shop and household).  But, hook up some more ethernet patch cords, configure the other ports as different IP's and enable link aggregation.  That should help speed things up a bit.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Wish I could help E.  No experience using Time Machine (I'm a PC shop and household).  But, hook up some more ethernet patch cords, configure the other ports as different IP's and enable link aggregation.  That should help speed things up a bit.

thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.  I saw it had 4 ports, first time I have a NAS with more than 1 ethernet port.  Though never seen speeds this slow before.  I'll try your suggestion and report back.  I'll also just transfer a regular 1 GB movie file or something and see how long that takes.  to see if its just time machine is slow or if its all speeds that are slow.

36 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

As an example, between my LG BluRay ripper (USB 3.0 to my wired i5 laptop) and Synology Nas, I get a full ISO rip done on average of about 30 minutes, sometimes less depending on size of movie. 

on my old NAS I moved ~ 2gb files from my desktop to the NAS in just a few minutes.  So I know something is up - but again, could be a time machine thing.  That time Machine has been running for 7+ years, so do not recall when I first started it how long the first backup took, and it likely wasn't an 800 gb backup to start.  I got some clean up to do on that iMac but would rather get it fully backed up before I start deleting!

Not sure if this makes a diff but you could try to limit the backup to certain folders and then add more over time after each sync is complete.

I’ve seen tasks take longer depending on the amount of records/files. The speed of your disks also is a huge factor is how quickly files copy over. 800GB is a lot of IO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when backing up, some/a lot of apps like to index and then back up the smallest files to the largest files. backing up smaller files takes more time as the commands (think of it as "i have a file for you" , "ok cool send it" , "ok you got it?" , "yep, what's next") can take as much/more time than the file itself. my guess is you'll see it speed up as time goes on. 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, Christopher Spitler said:

when backing up, some/a lot of apps like to index and then back up the smallest files to the largest files. backing up smaller files takes more time as the commands (think of it as "i have a file for you" , "ok cool send it" , "ok you got it?" , "yep, what's next") can take as much/more time than the file itself. my guess is you'll see it speed up as time goes on. 

I tried for almost 24 hours, still slow as molasses.  I have the back up power supply coming from the old NAS.  Assuming I can just move that old time machine file to the new NAS and point my iMac at that old file (in a new location) and it should just pick up where it left off?

Archived