C4 Forums | Control4

4K HDMI Matrix Switches

diggsmcsmiggs

Question

I have been looking at the new C4 4K HDMI Matrix switches.  Mostly looking at the LU642 or the LU642D.  I wanted to make sure that I understood what the audio downgrade feature is.  My goal is to be able to turn on a game from a cable box and have it play on all TVs.  At the same time I would like to hear the audio from that game on my in-ceiling speakers that in all rooms of the house.  You have to get the model that LU642D to be able to do that correct?

Also wanted to make sure that in rooms that I just have a TV mounted on the wall but also have in ceiling speakers that it could be setup to just play the audio from any video source going to that TV over the in ceiling speakers instead of using the low end speakers in the TV.

These switches are pricey so I wanted some input to make sure I was making an informed decision prior to purchase.

9 answers to this question

Is there a room on the system that us surround sound? If all rooms are stereo you can get a matrix that has audio breakout and set all sources to stereo/pcm. Downmixing is needed if you have a mix and match of rooms and need to support both stereo and surround codecs 

I would explain it like

If you are trying to watch a movie in your personal home theatre in full 7.1 Dolby Digital and have your wife watch the exact same show in the Master Bed using stereo ceiling speakers at the same time then yes.

Only need downmixing when you have a 5.1 or 7.1 theatre and you want to have the audio signal in the theatre, and on another display in the house at the exact same time.

Hope that makes sense.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:37 AM, diggsmcsmiggs said:

Yes that makes sense.  I have a Theater with Dolby Atmos and and Living Room with 5.1, but then some TVs with just stereo ceiling speakers.  Confirms what I was looking for.  Thanks!

You can just use one advance  AV receiver with supports two zone, basically your AV receiver become a 8x2 HDMI audio matrix.   Your theater will be main zone, your zone-2 will need another 5.1 AV receiver.    Other TV can be connect your main receiver monitor HDMI output.  

Agreed, plus many avrs that have zone2 hdmi need the audio of the device set to stereo because they dont downmix so you lose quality in the main zone. As well as lowest common denominator resolution of your secondary zone is not 4k. On top of the fact that you are stacking matrices and run the risk of routing issues

50 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Agreed, plus many avrs that have zone2 hdmi need the audio of the device set to stereo because they dont downmix so you lose quality in the main zone. As well as lowest common denominator resolution of your secondary zone is not 4k. On top of the fact that you are stacking matrices and run the risk of routing issues

New receiver all have pass through HDMI to zone-2, don’t down grade the main zone.  In any case you do need receiver for zone-2 regardless how you configuration looks.  Additional zone do need audio matrix which is true. 

Archived