C4 Forums | Control4

Nest Secure

Drake0508

Anyone know if someone is working on a way to use the new Nest Secure? I’m not a big fan of security integration that isn’t local but this is a great option for some of us. 
Are you sure it has a local API? I strongly doubt that

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No, I’m sure you are correct. I would prefer an installed system that communicated with my C4 controller without cloud. I was thinking maybe the nest thermostat integration with C4 ( which I have never used so I’m just speculating) could change home and away, and in return arm or disarm the system. Not sure Nest would let us acces the open/close sensors to trigger things but was just curious. 

I would love to this product work with c4. I'd probably be the only one to use it, but i just can't install a security system in home im not certain i am going to keep. and no it will not add value to my home in my market. I managed to do audio video lighting hvac sprinkler with minimal permanence, but it doesn't seem like I can do the same with security until now.

I would love to this product work with c4. I'd probably be the only one to use it, but i just can't install a security system in home im not certain i am going to keep. and no it will not add value to my home in my market. I managed to do audio video lighting hvac sprinkler with minimal permanence, but it doesn't seem like I can do the same with security until now.
How did you do sprinkler's without permanance?

I would assume that he means the sprinkler controller, which probably only takes about 20 minutes to swap out if you felt the need to do so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree on controller. But that doesn't mean sprinkler's are non permanent

It's a modest home. 

I have 2-Zones of irrigation. Both run off single solenoid-> Relay.(found at irrigation supply store for $50) Hoses run along side of the home in trenches that were there when i purchased. All audio video and network wires in trays in an unused basement. Electrician did his thing obv. for 120 at TVs and rack and about 6x6 button dimmers. Most zones of speakers are resting on bookshelves or a credenza. Although i do have a couple zones of in ceiling and in wall. 

I was really lucky. The spot I chose for my rack closet was right above where an extremely old security panel sat in disrepair. I took doorbell, and assorted door and window contract wires and put them into I/O's. Its half assed, but serves several nice purposes, and cost next to nothing. 

For a 27 year old who doesn't know where he wants to live in ten years, its a great solution. 

l13c34444-m0xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

1) NEST integration is always over the cloud, so it would not be local

2) Unless NEST brings out an API for it - it would be a hacked solution that is liable to fail or get blocked (it's happened before). If they do - chances are C4 would incorporate it into the existing NEST master driver that is currently capable of not only controlling the thermostats, but also the nest Protect devices (smoke sensors)

3) I'm not sure why you consider the NEST stuff any more or less permanent than any other wireless security install? You could take that panel and the couple of devices out just as easily....

You are right, but its beyond me. I don't know anything about buying or programming a security panel. I bet Nest would make it simple. I don't know why im even defending the idea. Im just willing to take stupid end user shortcuts. 

21 minutes ago, Drake0508 said:

I have a Concord panel in my house but I like the way the Nest system looks and especially like the quiet open feature. For my use case, it would work very well. 

We use DSC, but your Concord should have a feature as well known as “Quick Exit”. Not sure if it has to be enabled in the alarm programming or not, but it allows the same thing as quiet open. It will bypass a door for 2 minutes but keep the alarm armed. 

With DSC it bypasses the first door opened for 2 minutes. 

12 minutes ago, Drake0508 said:

Thanks for the info! I didn’t know that. I’ll look into it. 

No problem. It looks like it is enabled by default, so it should work unless your alarm installer turned it off. Looking at the user manual, it only works if the system is in stay mode. Press the D button, then open the door and go out. If you close the door, then it instantly rearms to stay mode, and the zone is no longer bypassed, so if you're planning on coming back in, leave the door open. Also, it rearms in 2 minutes as well.

14 hours ago, BuffaloC4 said:

You are right, but its beyond me. I don't know anything about buying or programming a security panel. I bet Nest would make it simple. I don't know why im even defending the idea. Im just willing to take stupid end user shortcuts. 

Not talking about the basic idea on using Nest, primarily wondering in what way it's more or less 'permanent' - a direct question more than a criticism.

If the argument is that you believe Nest would make it easier to install in the first place - fair enough.

On 4/3/2018 at 3:57 PM, C4tune said:

No panel. No in Wall wires. Keypad on table. 

No inwall wires is with any wireless security - several system have offered in keypad panels for simple setups for a long time now, and keypad on table is of little concern when you have a C4 system, don't need a keypad at all

:D

Note that I'm not riffing on you, just on the basic idea that as so many 'hot new ideas' that are being raved about are nothing new at all, they are just marketed better. :P

48 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

No inwall wires is with any wireless security - several system have offered in keypad panels for simple setups for a long time now, and keypad on table is of little concern when you have a C4 system, don't need a keypad at all

:D

Note that I'm not riffing on you, just on the basic idea that as so many 'hot new ideas' that are being raved about are nothing new at all, they are just marketed better. :P

No ill will on my end. Its "hot new idea" in the sense that Nest made it public knowledge their products required no in wall. 

If I somehow could learn such wireless security system software and if such panels were made available to the public I would likely do it this way. 

My ex-boss schooled me in composer but never gave me much security insight. 

The security keypad runs on batteries in this wireless system you speak of?

1 minute ago, BuffaloC4 said:

No ill will on my end. Its "hot new idea" in the sense that Nest made it public knowledge their products required no in wall. 

If I somehow could learn such wireless security system software and if such panels were made available to the public I would likely do it this way. 

My ex-boss schooled me in composer but never gave me much security insight. 

The security keypad runs on batteries in this wireless system you speak of?

You bet, on often seen example is Simonis by GE. Plenty of DIY security websites for more info.

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You bet, on often seen example is Simonis by GE. Plenty of DIY security websites for more info.

Did you mean Simon by GE? Is that C4 compatible?! Extra module required?

You may have just saved me a cloud based headache. 

Cheers,

BuffaloC4

7 minutes ago, BuffaloC4 said:

Did you mean Simon by GE? Is that C4 compatible?! Extra module required?

You may have just saved me a cloud based headache. 

Cheers,

BuffaloC4

and I don't have home phone and don't wish another monthly bill. another caveat... 

Archived