C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad Dimmer KD120 Wiring Question

elee532

I have a light that is switched at the top and bottom of the stairs. I have purchased the Keypad Dimmer (C4-KD120) and the Auxiliary Keypad (C4-KA). The instruction manual shows 5 different wiring configurations:

1. Single device location with neutral connection
  2. Single device location without neutral connection
  3. Multiple device location using Auxiliary Keypad with neutral connection
  4. Multiple device location using Auxiliary Keypad without neutral connection
  5. Multiple device location using Configurable Keypad, neutral required

Which of these wiring configurations would I follow?

Here is a photo of the switch that I want to replace with the Keypad Dimmer:

Switch.jpg

It looks like you don't have a neutral there - seems like a hot, switch leg and traveller (although white is usually neutral, maybe it is traveller here?).  So I would think you have #4 situation.  If there is a neutral, then #3.  If you aren't sure, or don't know how to tell, hire an electrician

Thanks @Home Theater Advisors! I did have an electrician come out at one point. He seemed to think there was NOT a neutral wire. However, he was also under the impression that a neutral wire was required.

One other really basic question... when the instructions say "single device location" and "multiple device location," what do they mean? What type of devices are they referring to?

Thanks!!

So, the electrician says the white wire in the box where I want to install the keypad is a traveler wire, and that I have no neutral in that box. So, I believe that means that the situation I have is "Multiple device location using Auxiliary Keypad without neutral connection."

So, at the keypad box I have a Black, Red, and White (traveler). At the auxiliary keypad box I have two Black and a White wire.

Can I work with this, or do I need to have one more wire run between the two?

Switch---Keypad.jpg

Switch---Auxillary.jpg

The basic principal is to make ONE switch/dimmer/keypad control the load.  All the other locations need to be wired/changed to enable the first switch to operate the load by itself.  You'll need to twist the load wires together at the other locations to complete the circuit.  In some cases you'll have to twist together 2 sets of wires.  The second set will probably be the travellor.   Your electrician will know how to test all these wires with a volt meter to confirm.

Archived