C4 Forums | Control4

video storm integration

pzentner

I have sent an email to video storm about some questions I have, but haven't heard back from them, so I was wondering, if some of you can chime in and possibly assist me with some decisions. 

I am trying to decide what to do for video distribution and it more and more seems like that a normal hdmi matrix doesn't cut it for me (my sources to outputs ratios are too far off so that I would be wasting money).

Now, I am reading everywhere that the nVidia Shield is the way to go as a decoder over a fireTV. However, the question I have here is - is this only a problem for 4K output or will I possibly run into issues when using fireTV for 1080p as the decoder? My thought process there is to have local Netflix and Amazon video built into the fireTV, directly to the TV (and was planning on feeding back the audio into the audio matrix to get to surround). I can also do that with the nVidia Shield, but for the price of one NVidia, I can get 3 fireTVs and I don't have 4k TVs (yet). So, was thinking of using Shield for future 4K and fireTV for 1080p. Does this make sense?

What do I use as encoders? I know that anything that streams an IP stream basically doesn't need an encoder, so security cameras I could integrate directly. What about firetv or shield? If, for whatever reason, I wanted to use those centralized, do I need an encoder for those or not? When looking at it, I would need an encoder for cable boxes (I don't know, if the FIOS quantum stuff - Arris VMS1100) actually sends IP streams I can use or if those still would have to be hooked onto an encoder.

on the website for video storm, I can only find the VTX100 as an encoder. Would make sense for rack mount, but what alternatives are there?

sorry, if those questions are a bit stupid or simple, but I am trying to come up with the proper "wants" already and not go down a route that doesn't even make sense.

Thank you

2 hours ago, pzentner said:

I have sent an email to video storm about some questions I have, but haven't heard back from them

I have this problem with their email. No idea why. They never respond to their main email. I get very fast responses from the VS guy on this forum. I wager they have a technology issue with their email or need to replace the person managing the incoming emails on the main account.

Anything that has a HDMI output and you want it on your system, needs an encoder.

You can certainly use FireTVs/Shields as decoders.  But remember that when you use that device to stream Netflix or other apps, your VS system is then not being viewed because you are streaming directly from the box.  You switched the apps, per se.  If you have programming for IP camera popups when a doorbell is pressed, this won't work when watching native Netflix on the device.

Better off having a dedicated streaming box for the majority of TV's.  For any high end theater, I'd suggest having local devices along with a decoder to access the rest of your stuff.

I can answer more but about to leave my office for home.

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

But quick I have Fios.  The boxes need an encoder. 

I know that the "normal fios" needs encoders, I was just wondering about the quantum, since the vms1000 are basically ipservers.

33 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Better off having a dedicated streaming box for the majority of TV's.  For any high end theater, I'd suggest having local devices along with a decoder to access the rest of your stuff.

basically, I'd have to have a couple firetv ir anything else, if I want to stream Netflix or Amazon on a couple tvs at the same time (different content obviously) and then have a firetv or shield as a decoder and just ignore that they can do more. would make it easier with hooking up audio, I guess.

the question would now be, do I really have to go "all out" for the deciders and get a shield for each of the tvs? I guess I can also just try it and see, how it behaves.

I'm not sure I would overthink the Shields. These are very good streaming boxes. You can use them as decoders and stand along boxes. They can also be a source for distributing that source in sync to multiple decoders. Yes, more than a Fire TV, but you also get more. Yet, the delta in cost is low compared to all the other expensive bits.

If you want to keep distributed audio in sync you can look at http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=cmx1616a2

Yes I have the cmx.  If you need distributed audio too you need that as well.  

Personally I’d have a decoder at each TV.  Then add streaming sticks/boxes to encoders.  As lipp said above it’s cleaner to stay in the VS app vs having a Netflix app then a VS app etc.  also if you stream movies and change the source you need to update a bunch of sticks.  If one is centralized with an encoder just make 1 update.  New firmware - 1 update.  Want to now have Hulu shared - 1 update etc.  

as for a fire tv or shield I can’t speak.  I have the vrx020 which is VS own hardware which is basically a pi box.  They built these prior to the DIY solution they now offer.  Look at the specs and whichever one is better roll with it or ask VS directly. 

You need to know your audio needs prior to figuring out if you need a CMX.  We can offer advice but this is where a dealer is helpful.  Someone who has drawn these out and installed before and can walk you through it.  Some of this CI stuff is hard to research and buy online due to its niche uses.  

I did look at the pro series from video storm and was just thinking that I would like the idea of killing two birds with one stone and use some streaming device locally at the TV as well as use it as a decoder. 

But yes, that doesn't need to be. 

I do want centralized audio, just for the fact that I can play the latest game on the audio on the patio while having it running on a couple tvs as well. but technically, I could get by that by using some surround receivers and use the outdoors speakers via zone 2 on one of them. 

Playing the same audio in all rooms is different and that's something that would be nice to have an would require a cmx, if I understood it correctly. 

another reason is that the entire house was wired to have centralized everything, so it would not make too much sense to have all the equipment distributed and then running it back to where the speaker wires come out of the walls.

if I would build a new house, I probably would do some things differently, but that's a different story 

1 minute ago, pzentner said:

another reason is that the entire house was wired to have centralized everything, so it would not make too much sense to have all the equipment distributed and then running it back to where the speaker wires come out of the walls.

if I would build a new house, I probably would do some things differently, but that's a different story 

In this case you have all the flexibility. You can centralize what you need and distribute as it makes sense. You can centralize your audio and your sources can be distributed with encoders anywhere. Your Shields can be both decoder and sources for encoders. Maybe you have 4 Shields and you want to watch 3 games that you are streaming. You use the shields as sources and tile them on the 4th as a decoder. I'm not really trying to sell you. More or less just illustrating the flexibility.

53 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Your Shields can be both decoder and sources for encoders

that brings me to another question. what do I use as an encoder in a distributed system?  the videostorm site links (even on the home edition pages) always back to the vtx100 and, from what I can see, that's the 2 or 4 source encoder for rack mount.

which is ok for me, I can put stuff in the rack, but eventually, I'll run out of space or want maybe a computer be a source, etc. what would I use there?

1 hour ago, pzentner said:

that brings me to another question. what do I use as an encoder in a distributed system?  the videostorm site links (even on the home edition pages) always back to the vtx100 and, from what I can see, that's the 2 or 4 source encoder for rack mount.

which is ok for me, I can put stuff in the rack, but eventually, I'll run out of space or want maybe a computer be a source, etc. what would I use there?

8 hours ago, Pounce said:

I have this problem with their email. No idea why. They never respond to their main email. I get very fast responses from the VS guy on this forum. I wager they have a technology issue with their email or need to replace the person managing the incoming emails on the main account.

Hmm, could be a tech issue.  Which email are you using?

Both the FireTV gen3 and the Shield are great decoders.  NetPlayTV runs great on both.

The advantages of the Shield over the FTV are:

• You don't need the OTG adapter cable and wired usb hub  (or just the Amazon wired eth adapter if you don't need IRUSB).  Shield has built in wired ethernet & usb ports.
  • Shield ties to Google Play, while FTV goes to Amazon (personal preference really)
  • Shield is MUCH better for gaming (both local and streamed from computer)
  • Shield is faster in general, but for most things you will not notice this

FTV advantage is price :D

10 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Hmm, could be a tech issue.  Which email are you using?

Same one I've always had issues with. sales@video-storm.com . Can you check it and confirm you have an email from me about audio matrix price?

7 hours ago, videostorm said:

It is currently true that you cannot tile or PIP from local apps (Netflix, youtube, etc) to NetPlay sources.  However, Android 7 supports cross-app PIP on Shield so this functionality is coming soon (update to the NetPlayTV app).

So, this is a great argument for the shield. if, I understand it correctly, you then can watch local Netflix together with a cable channel together with a security camera, etc. 

And yes, for me it was the same email sales@...

one thing that just dawned on me is that, if I am using a shield locally, I wouldn't even be able to use that as a local streaming device, if I wanted to stream audio over surround, since there is no back channel as we have with the vrx0020.

so, the better idea would be to use the local device purely as a decoder and then stream from a central streaming device as previously said.

16 minutes ago, pzentner said:

one thing that just dawned on me is that, if I am using a shield locally, I wouldn't even be able to use that as a local streaming device, if I wanted to stream audio over surround, since there is no back channel as we have with the vrx0020.

so, the better idea would be to use the local device purely as a decoder and then stream from a central streaming device as previously said.

But you could with an encoder local to the Shield. Split the HDMI and feed the encoder.

3 hours ago, pzentner said:

So, this is a great argument for the shield. if, I understand it correctly, you then can watch local Netflix together with a cable channel together with a security camera, etc. 

And yes, for me it was the same email sales@...

Yes.  (in Android TV 7 on Shield) Apps can play either full screen or pip (for pip the app must support that mode).  NetPlayTV will support app PIP mode in future updates.  Thus you could have Netflix in full screen with NetPlayTV playing another source in app pip mode.

FireTV gen 3 is also Android 7, but Amazon hasn't added app pip mode yet.  They are discussing it with developers, but no decision at this time.

30 minutes ago, pzentner said:

If your audio is centralized (all audio wired back to a closet somewhere), then I would agree.  Simpler in general to keep all your sources in that closet.  You could also backfeed audio via a coax for some zones if needed.

Personally, I prefer distributed audio systems (audio is local to each zone).  Less wiring, less equipment, more flexibility.  I also think you should have separate systems for music and tv audio, but that is whole different discussion. 

NetPlay Home works with any audio scheme you want to use (add recommended CMX1616A2 if using centralized systems). 

Archived