C4 Forums | Control4

Turn On TV and System with TiVo Remote

dinom

Hi.

I have a new setup in the living room with a SR-260 and EA-1, but an EA-3 is the Director located in the basement media closet. Everything works great so far!

Question I have relates to the kids wanting to still use the TiVo remote on occasion.  The TiVo remote is setup to turn on the Sony TV and control the soundbar volume via IR, and if the HDMI input happens to be correct then can control the TiVo and volume just fine.  Problem is then the C4 system is out of sync and other items like the Sony soundbar and LED backlight (controlled by C4 via Lutron R2) do not turn on or work as intended.

The TV, soundbar and TiVo are all being controlled by C4 via IP so 2-way feedback is available for all items.  Is there a way to program in HE a method to turn the living room "on" and get the C4 system in sync whenever the TV power is turned on by a separate method - in my case by the kids turning on the TV with the TiVo remote?  And then to have the system switch to the TiVo HDMI input on the TV if needed, turn on the soundbar, etc.?

Thanks, as I am still new to Composer HE.

Thanks,

Dino

It depends it is possible depending on how good you are with advance programming, you can get up a conditional for example

If the tv is controlled by ip or rs233 you can get a an it condition to say if the tv power is on it detected on to turn the room onto TiVo that way the c4 will be in sync and do the same for the off command.

Ideal option is to turn the room on via c4 if you have lutron lighting you can program a Luton button to turn the tv on for you kids and then they can use this tv remote. So you’d do a variable

When x button is pressed on lutron keypad turn room on and select TiVo when it’s pressed again turn room on

If you want I can remove into your system and help you program this, I do it all the tim for customers with children or customers with guest rooms etc

Thanks
M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn't notice the Sony TV.  It does have 2-way feedback via IP.  How many other sources are connected to the TV besides Tivo?

Also, do your kids physically change the input on the Sony to get to Tivo, using the remote, input button on tv, etc?

The TiVo is the primary source and the one that is used the most, so the TV is already set for that input 95% of the time.  They will manually turn on the soundbar too in this case.  I'm just trying to make this bulletproof so that if the TV is powered separately from the TiVo remote (or even manually by someone turning on the TV from its side panel), the C4 system gets in sync and all other automations that normally occur when the Watch TiVo on the Living Room happens, happens.

I used to have an RTI system in the living room and I had this all worked out and programmed.  Now with C4, I'm new to Composer HE so I'm trying to understand if this is possible and how to do it.  I really haven't spend much time with it, so probably just need to set aside some time to work on the programming.

Thanks.

OK, thanks.  But I would always want it to go to the TiVo input if powered on this way.  So I would only need one if/else case I believe.

Also, my concern is will this macro also fire off when the TV is turned on "normally" from a C4 device (either the SR-260 or iPad app)?  Then what happens - is there a race condition that can occur?

That programming is all logic that happens in the background anyways.  Wouldn't affect any normal operation provided all equipment has discrete commands.

If you program just for when it turns on to always go to the TiVo input, then you'd get yourself in a situation where you'd select other sources and it will always revert back to TiVo input.

If your TV is 95% of the time on Tivo input when shut off, then no problems.

The only way to make sure that the TV is always on the Tivo input when the room turns off is to edit the xml in the driver and add the HDMI input change before issuing power off.  Not sure if that would work though because the driver is encrypted.  I can read the XML but not sure when it gets all packaged up, if it would work, never had to try before.

Archived