C4 Forums | Control4

Can't begin to say how disappointed I am with this system.

Had the system fully operational for two days now.   The Intercom app wedges.    The AppleTV integration doesn't work for video at all.    Pandora doesn't work.   My dealer is MIA, all I get out of Control4 is a message that they'll get back to me in a couple of days and certainly not before 10AM eastern time on Monday.     The thing has security holes like a sieve and you can't I have to disable the security checks in my browser to look at the thing.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had the system fully operational for two days now.   The Intercom app wedges.    The AppleTV integration doesn't work for video at all.    Pandora doesn't work.   My dealer is MIA, all I get out of Control4 is a message that they'll get back to me in a couple of days and certainly not before 10AM eastern time on Monday.     The thing has security holes like a sieve and you can't I have to disable the security checks in my browser to look at the thing.

What do you mean by intercom wedges?

What security holes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You put the intercom in group call, then you can push END CALL until the cows come home and it won't get out of that mode.   You can switch to other apps, but the group call is still active.

What security holes?   How about the thing comes with a published back door password and the fact that the thing allows any device anywhere in the freaking world to SMB mount the disks in the controller?   Or how about the fact the thing doesn't even support ssl in the web interface? 

I paid over $50,000 for this complete piece of crap.   Doesn't work.   Doesn't fit the bill even if it did work.   No support.

Just now, ichbinbose said:

How does your Apple TV not provide Video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You start a program and it stays displaying the "NOW PLAYING" while it does play a few seconds of audio from the program but then it dumps out and reverts to playing one of the music files

My network tests out just fine.   The C4 box apparently had issues.   Given the complete lack of support, I did the only thing I could, and pulled the plug out of the thing.   That seems to have fixed Pandora and the Intercom.   Don't know about the AppleTV issues yet.

Still being told to deal with your HA system crocked for FOUR days is unconscionable given the cost of this thing.

Sounds like you have a crap installer/ dealer where are you located? What have you paid for? Can you post some pictures of your rack? The app? On wall or table top navigators?

Can you send pictures of the back of your TVs? A video of what’s happening with the Apple TV?

I do agree with the previous post seems like a network issue but there may be more underlying issues other than the network

I’ve been doing Control4 for some years now and I have seen many shite installs and pear shaped installs.

I’ll help you where I can by doing what I can

My network tests out just fine.   The C4 box apparently had issues.   Given the complete lack of support, I did the only thing I could, and pulled the plug out of the thing.   That seems to have fixed Pandora and the Intercom.   Don't know about the AppleTV issues yet.
Still being told to deal with your HA system crocked for FOUR days is unconscionable given the cost of this thing.

How did you test out your network?
What is your network equipment?

Understand, I wrote one of the first INTERNET routers out there.    My network has been running for quite some time before the control4  came on the scene.    The network router is a Ubiquity EdgeRouter and a Ubiquity switch plugged into CentruryLink's bonded DSL router (best I can do here) which is put into bridge mode so it is doing nothing but providing the DSL interface.     All the C4 stuff is hard connected to the Ubiquity switches.

The AppleTV issue also seems to have resolved itself with the powercycle of the box.   I have no idea how the box got into the crocked state but the power cycle seems to have reset it and hopefully this won't be a recurrent problem.

Apple tvs are notorious for needing to be power cycled
So far based on the information I’m sticking to a network related issues.
Half my work is take over. 90% is based on system design and network

Just now, ichbinbose said:

Apple tvs are notorious for needing to be power cycled
So far based on the information I’m sticking to a network related issues.
Half my work is take over. 90% is based on system design and network

Majority of my work is takeover too, im forever sorting out installs gone pear shaped... and very unhappy customers. 

2.10.1.544795-res

The main processor (the one I power cycled) was is an EA5.    It's the only one I touched.

There's also an EA1 on the main TV (80" Sharp Aquos/Apple TV).   I didn't touch anything but the main EA-5.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. It sounds like a mix of the dealer giving you access to pre-released product (the Intercom app, which is still in closed beta), the dealer not setting expectations correctly for dealer sold/supported automation hardware and software (and what their support is, as the dealer is the front line - Control4 does not have end-user facing support), the dealer not taking steps to change the default password (which can be done easily), and perhaps a known issue existing with UBNT network products not correctly supporting PIM.

"UBNT Does not support PIM multicasting.  Only supports IGMP which causes issues such as Control4 devices that fall offline due to UDP keep-alive being blocked through multicast routing. These issues manifest most commonly in large systems with dual transport devices ie. Matrix switches Tuners, Amplifiers, and Centralized Lighting."

From their development team in an email: 
"PIM support is lacking on USG and EdgeRouter at the moment, so point understood there, but APs and switches are only bridging and switching respectively and should not have any caveats with PIM - at least that we're aware of." 

Here are some forum posts on Ubiquiti that explains this more on their end: 
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/PIM-in-EdgeSwitch-OS-Please/idi-p/2202774
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/REQUEST-PIM-for-EdgeMax-and-Unifi-products/idi-p/2286033
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/REQUEST-PIM-for-EdgeMax-products/idi-p/2286041
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/Multicast-Support-PIM-SM-SSM-PIM-over-GRE-tunnel/idi-p/753026
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/Is-multicast-PIM-SM-SSM-support-planned-Please-respond-i-really/td-p/754594
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch/Multicast-routing-in-network-of-switches/td-p/1873625/page/2
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/Request-PIM-DM-broadcast-capabilities-for-Edgemax/td-p/755804
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airOS-Software-Configuration/pim-routing-multicast-broadcasting-IGMPv2/td-p/358559
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/Multicast-routing/td-p/484349

Hopefully, you can work with your dealer and get it sorted out with their involvement of C4 tech support as needed.

The AppleTV seemed to work fine after the Control4 itself was uncrocked.     Definitely was hosed up (probably a network issue, but it was internal to the C4 system.   Everything else on my network, Macs, PCs, Printers, VOIP etc... worked fine....anything not part of the C4 system.

6 minutes ago, flyingron said:

2.10.1.544795-res

The main processor (the one I power cycled) was is an EA5.    It's the only one I touched.

There's also an EA1 on the main TV (80" Sharp Aquos/Apple TV).   I didn't touch anything but the main EA-5.

okay,  so you're on the latest firmware version. There was a known bug with the intercom in the initial release of 2.10 but that got sorted. 

run your system and see how it goes of the next few days and report back here of any issues. 

M

6 minutes ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

+1 - was just about to mention that. Im sticking with somewhat of a pear shaped install. 

The only thing to be aware of is that if you have older, "legacy navigators" (pre-flash, so the old QT navigators from back in the day - the current gear like T3 screens and EA controllers dont use flash anymore and use an android-based interface) like the mini touch, old Tatung 10" screens, etc. these cannot connect with SSL. But new installs should be fine for this. In fact I'll make a suggestion to the team that SSL comes enabled by default now that I'm thinking about it.

Of course that doesn't address the stupid fileshare issues.    I can fix those but I suspect I'm just going to have to further firewall off the EA-5 and hope it doesn't break anything.

On the other hand, the fact that it's leaky as a sieve allowed me to put my own wall papers on the thing (my dealer had no idea how I did that).

Archived