C4 Forums | Control4

IFTTT so what have you done

ILoveControl

Yeah, I was referring to the Chowmain driver. It works well and is easy to use. It does still use the C4 announcement agent so depending on what issues you're having there, it's possible you might still encounter the same issues. I haven't used the Annex4 Voice Genie driver that sonic mentioned, but it sounds very similar and the Annex4 guys make great drivers, too, so I'm sure it's a good one. 
On the Advanced Driver from Chowmain, and to be clear I love their drivers own quite a few of them.

I looked at the Advanced Announcements driver not to sure what more it gives you other than voice?

Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

On the Advanced Driver from Chowmain, and to be clear I love their drivers own quite a few of them.

I looked at the Advanced Announcements driver not to sure what more it gives you other than voice?

Am I missing something?

You can insert dynamic variables for drivers and other things like temperature and time as well. So the output is only voice, but it is more than just pure text-to-voice. 

3 hours ago, TheWizard said:

By default IFTTT will request trigger events every 15 minutes. The services can implement a command to notify IFTTT of events from triggers and IFTTT will fetch them immediately after. Sadly this isn't something you as the user do, it's something the service has to implement.

https://platform.ifttt.com/docs/api_reference#realtime-api

In my experience with many of the IFTTT channels, this seems to be more of an issue with services that poll--think Gmail, Google Calendar, etc., and geofencing to some degree) as there's no active message sent to IFTTT to let it know you've done something. IFTTT has to do the work to find it it in this case. I do notice these aren't always instantaneous and that seems reasonable if it's having to search your email or calendar for a particular phrase.

With services that rely on  physical or virtual triggers that are active and not passive (motion, contact sensors, C4 keypad buttons, etc),  the response should be instigated by the trigger and it should be at least be close to instantaneous for most of these services--that's how all of mine are for this. Like @TheWizard pointed out though, this may vary from service to service as it's up to how they integrate. That's why I was wondering if you @ILoveControl were getting this response for everything or just a few services. 

You can insert dynamic variables for drivers and other things like temperature and time as well. So the output is only voice, but it is more than just pure text-to-voice. 
By default IFTTT will request trigger events every 15 minutes. The services can implement a command to notify IFTTT of events from triggers and IFTTT will fetch them immediately after. Sadly this isn't something you as the user do, it's something the service has to implement.

[mention=134434]TheWizard[/mention] pointed out though, this may vary from service to service as it's up to how they integrate. That's why I was wondering if you [mention=125626]ILoveControl[/mention] were getting this response for everything or just a few services. 
Thanks for the insights.

Hmmm I am looking at the Anexx driver for voice as it uses the Polly engine which is by far the best.

I see your point RE IFTTT I will start tracking the timing as well as checking the applets they do specify run times

Thank you once again really appreciate it

19 hours ago, TheWizard said:

IFTTT triggers can be realtime and/or polled at set intervals (15 minutes), it depends on the service. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Does that mean if I revisit the IFTTT driver there is a way to make it more responsive?  I just found while using it for a bit it was way to cumbersome and clunky and not worth the effort.

• 10 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, Mr. Daniel said:

as a standalone app on mobile I use IFTTT to enable/disable WiFi and send quick texts to the same person w/ the same text ( like telling my wife i'm omw from work ).  I link it with Pushover to send commands from Google Assistant to my Control4 system for daily use commands ( Watch the morning news, Turn off the TV, Choose a predetermined audio stream in a particular room) and for more fun voice commands ( Command - Ok Google, it's Mario Time.  Reply - I'm sorry but our princess is in another castle. Action - Game room selects NES Classic as current source ) and a few other fun voice commands.  It would be great if I could get Assistant to play a .wav/.mp3 file as the reply and still send the push notification.  I could have all kinds of fun with that...

You can have Assistant play music or other items...just set the command up as a routine in Google home, and then launch your different commands from there. I have one setup that dims the Control4 lights in my family room to 35%, plays a specific colored fireplace video on the TV in that room, and plays Hedwig's theme on the Google home itself... It's a Harry Potter "magic spell" I use before reading a chapter in the book to my kids at night. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, SurfNTech said:

Does that mean if I revisit the IFTTT driver there is a way to make it more responsive?  I just found while using it for a bit it was way to cumbersome and clunky and not worth the effort.

I have an IFTTT driver that allows direct secure HTTPS connections from IFTTT and also integrates to Webhooks. 

I use it a lot with the button widget on my phone to do simple tasks like open gates etc. Responds time is very good, much faster than opening the C4 app.

See https://github.com/davidmassot/Berto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.