C4 Forums | Control4

Rachio drivers - Houselogix and Blackwire

On 5/2/2018 at 4:48 AM, jfh said:

I would like

a) to be able to retrieve the date/time of the next scheduled run and ability to skip it

b ) have events for schedule started, stopped, paused, resumed

c) event fired for irrigation event, preferably with a variable that has the Rachio status indicating what type of event

d) event for device power cycled (possibly exists?)

e) any weather intelligence event (e.g. Schedule not run because of rain)

(essentially an event for anything that appears in Rachio history)

f) pull month to date stats

I must say that the native C4 irrigation driver has come a long way since its launch a year or two back.  While it is no Rachio, it is simple to use, free, allows pause and resume and zone control all natively from C4. It links with a weather underground setup and is actually pretty cool.  My irrigation is wired in through an old C4 I/o extender.  While I don’t use a Blackwire irrigation driver, it is worth punting their emoji driver which I use to get a nice pause / resume button which changes look on pause or resume.

30 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

The brushed steel and black combination is by far the best.  This is what I have and what I’ll be putting in at my beach house.  Nothing else compares.  Sheer class!

I've got the same and agree...looks great!

57 minutes ago, turls said:

I just need the Rachio driver from Houselogix to be able to tell my Flologic (water leak sensor) that I don't have a leak while the sprinklers are running.  My sprinklers are not tapped in before my water leak sensor, and they shouldn't need to be.

First sprinkler session of the season was a fail last night and turned off the water.

But, I've fought that driver for years and it was never 100%.  I have terrible luck with Houselogix support.  Is anybody in active contact with them about things that broke because of the API change?

I had some correspondence with HL regarding the driver breaking and sent them some logs.  Since then, radio silence and no response to my requests for status.   The driver did start working again to turn zones off and on (no change to driver version), but it still won't put the Rachio into or out of standby.  However, I suspect the driver is only working until the polling limit is triggered.

In any event, I had the HL driver deleted and just writing off the $200.  I'm really not happy with HL.  They were first with drivers for a number of 3rd party drivers for drivers I have, but their support has been spotty at best.  And it was probably stupid on my part to pay almost as much for the driver as the Rachio cost, especially for a driver with such limited function.

I licensed the BW Rachio driver, but they too have a number of issues.  Reported to Kevin a week or so ago and haven't heard anything back yet.  It seems like Rachio made more API changes they didn't bother to communicate.   Assuming these bugs get fixed I think the BW driver will be the best/safest bet moving forward since they have an official relationship with Rachio.  I do like that the support the sprinkler experience buttons, but until they get the other bugs fixed they too just have fairly limited function.  At $75, it seems to be priced reasonably.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Yes he has a relationship and sells the hardware. 

I am happy to sell and install the driver if you like. 

Thank @msgreenf.  I'll let you know if I need any help, I might wait it out a little bit.  Because of the HL driver being unreliable since Day 1, I'm used to just disabling FloLogic to get past the issues, and then I forget I even bypassed it.  I'll probably flood the house sometime...

3 hours ago, jfh said:

I licensed the BW Rachio driver, but they too have a number of issues.  Reported to Kevin a week or so ago and haven't heard anything back yet.  It seems like Rachio made more API changes they didn't bother to communicate.   Assuming these bugs get fixed I think the BW driver will be the best/safest bet moving forward since they have an official relationship with Rachio.  I do like that the support the sprinkler experience buttons, but until they get the other bugs fixed they too just have fairly limited function.  \

To be clear the driver works 100% fine at controlling zones.  Your issue was with some power variables and weather variables. I made it very clear in the email we had that It would take a bit to get to that. "We are looking into the issue you had with the driver but they wont be fixed for a few weeks."

We did not deem the power issue as an emergency issue with the driver as the core functionality of the driver is there. We did find a few other things ended up being changed so we are addressing them and its in our queue to be done very very soon. I dont expect it to take a few weeks but said that to ensure we have a buffer to get it done. 

4 hours ago, turls said:

@Kevin L I only see you mention Houselogix, but since you are the only one mentioned officially on Rachio's page, should I assume you have a step up on any other competitors?  Do you have any type of official relationship with Rachio so they will work with you on any API changes?

Yes. We are a direct partner with Rachio. They have had some serious internal changes and with the latest API debacle they are well aware of the mistakes they made.  We are going to be releasing a URC Rachio driver shortly as well.

We sell Rachio hardware and of course offer the driver and will maintain it as well. We have a direct line to all of the dev teams over there as well. 

@Kevin L

I never saw the email you mentioned.  Thanks for the feedback.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Zones aren't working.  Looking forward to the updates and hoping that Rachio starts playing a little nicer with developers using their APIs.

Gave up on Houselogix and moved to Blackwire's reasonably priced option.  Had a support ticket open at HL since 5/25 and no response.  I was looking back through my old HL support tickets and they insisted they worked with Rachio on their driver, even though it never worked right.

@Kevin L in my testing tonight, it took about a minute for my Navigator screens sprinkler relays to update with the state.  Is this an API limitation that is going to be a typical?

The reason I ask is that my programming for my Flologic that overrides leak detection depends on being able to turn on the override when the sprinkler turns on, and turn off the override when the sprinkler turns off.  I need to make sure the "off" for the previous zone doesn't come after the "on" for the current zone or my programming will be off.  I can put in delays, but that depends on a fairly consistent delay in the Navigator feedback.

Thanks for any input.

40 minutes ago, turls said:

@Kevin L in my testing tonight, it took about a minute for my Navigator screens sprinkler relays to update with the state.  Is this an API limitation that is going to be a typical?

The reason I ask is that my programming for my Flologic that overrides leak detection depends on being able to turn on the override when the sprinkler turns on, and turn off the override when the sprinkler turns off.  I need to make sure the "off" for the previous zone doesn't come after the "on" for the current zone or my programming will be off.  I can put in delays, but that depends on a fairly consistent delay in the Navigator feedback.

Thanks for any input.

Are you using the latest driver? It should by near instant. 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:22 PM, Kevin L said:

Are you using the latest driver? It should by near instant. 

Driver failed in only the 2nd sprinkler run since I loaded the BW driver.  Programming is going to be problematic unless I'm completely overlooking something without a consistent "near instant" two-way feedback for my application.

I guess I'll open up a ticket when I have time unless you have anything simple to try to speed things up.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:14 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say that the native C4 irrigation driver has come a long way since its launch a year or two back.  While it is no Rachio, it is simple to use, free, allows pause and resume and zone control all natively from C4. It links with a weather underground setup and is actually pretty cool.  My irrigation is wired in through an old C4 I/o extender.  While I don’t use a Blackwire irrigation driver, it is worth punting their emoji driver which I use to get a nice pause / resume button which changes look on pause or resume.

What hardware does the native C4 irrigation work with?  Will it work with my Irrigation Caddy?

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

What eaxctly are you trying to do? 

I get zone changes with in 1 second. I have multiple keypads around my house that track the status of what zone is running and LEDs track perfectly. 

I have to control an override of Flologic leak detection using relays.  So my programming says once the generic sprinkler drivers are turned on, I override Flologic during the duration of the sprinkler.  Since one zone goes after the other, this results in multiple on/off cycles of Flologic override.  So:

• Rachio driver triggers sprinkler relay
  • When sprinkler relay engaged, programming turns on a physical relay that is connected to Flologic that overrides leak detection
  • When sprinkler turns off, override is discontinued.
  • That repeats for each zone triggered by the dymanic Rachio programming

If it doesn't engage correctly, after a set programmable period of time (30 minutes normally, but adjustable), it thinks there is a leak and turns off the water.

9 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Are you using the super old relay drivers or the newer timer relay drivers?

I've got both in the project, but all my programming was based on the old drivers.  If I'm supposed to use the newer, drivers, I don't see any on / off programming on them.  Just selected, and timer variables.  If I need to open a ticket I can...

6 hours ago, turls said:

I've got both in the project, but all my programming was based on the old drivers.  If I'm supposed to use the newer, drivers, I don't see any on / off programming on them.  Just selected, and timer variables.  If I need to open a ticket I can...

I will update our site to mention we don't support the old relays. They are super out dated. 

Use the newer timer relays. I am not sure why you don't see an on / off variable as mine have it just fine. There is an event for each zone turning on and off. I suggest you delete all of the old drivers and make sure you only have the newer one installed. 

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

I will update our site to mention we don't support the old relays. They are super out dated. 

Use the newer timer relays. I am not sure why you don't see an on / off variable as mine have it just fine. There is an event for each zone turning on and off. I suggest you delete all of the old drivers and make sure you only have the newer one installed. 

Ok, I need to make sure we are on the same page here.  If I do a search in Composer on "sprinkler", the only two options that come up that are valid:

• relaysingle_sprinklers_c4.c4i (dated 2005)
  • timer_sprinkler.c4z (dated 2016)

Is there another one besides those?  Because your page currently says:

"The Rachio Driver for Control4 also fully compatible with Control4’s new Sprinkler Experience Button and standard sprinkler relay drivers."

I included an image of all I have for the Sprinkler timer (Experience button) programming options.  Sorry I'm sure I'm missing something...

Sprinkler timer.png

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Use  timer_sprinkler.c4z (dated 2016)

Ok, but can you explain why you say you have on and off triggers and all I see (in the screenshot) is selected?  I'm not wrapping my mind around using "selected" to achieve my programming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.