C4 Forums | Control4

Select audio channel for a room turns off another room

C4 setup has 3 floors and multiple rooms in each floor so lots of audio playout possibilities as each room has ceiling speakers.

If I use the C4 app on my phone I can select a room and choose a source like Pandora or iHeart and have them running concurrently in different rooms.

But if I program a schedule to select a[n] [audio] channel in a room it plays, but then choosing another room and a different channel (e.g., Pandora first, then next room is iheart) the first room is shutoff.

I don't use media scenes and in programming variables, every IS_LINKED is false.

But say in programming of a scheduled event I say:

select channel "3712338696085784552 - Bon Iver Radio" in Master

delay 5 seconds

select channel "5068 - WNYC-FM News, Talk_Culture" in Kitchen

Then when the Master comes on with Bon Iver from Pandora, it shuts off when the kitchen turns onto WNYC on iHeart.

Again, there's no media scene involved, or shouldn't be if you're programming at a room level so I'm curious why this is happening.  I'm on 2.10.1 btw.

Yes, EA-5.

C4 box has one HDMI out (presumably for my TV) and one digital audio out pair connected to audio matrix.  Then there's 2 amps to handle all the rooms.

But to the point: if I can pick a room, listen to music and change room and listen to different source, why cannot I not program that?

Right now, I'm listening to WNYC talk radio in my office (iHeart), while my Kitchen is on Pandora radio.

This was done using my phone's app and just selecting room, listen, and choosing a source.

I just don't see why I cannot program the same situation to occur without the first room getting turned off. 

I believe the controller tells the matrix what to play and where so one connection is all that's needed.

Those rooms could possibly be on different amps.  You said there is only 1 audio connection from EA5 to each amp.  Plus your HDMI out to your living room(?)

If you want more streams to be available on those amps, you need more audio connections added.

The HDMI is going to my Marantz receiver which has 7.2 channels wired into my living room (the only room not addressable on C4 unless I select the device, it's input, etc).  All other rooms have ceiling speakers powered by 2 amps.

So all other rooms than living room are on those 2 multi-zone amps.

The rooms in question (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom) are on separate amps: kitchen on one, bed + bath on another.  Audio matrix is plugged to both amps.

I would think, based on being able to select audio for each room in the app, that my physical setup is fine else I wouldn't be able to hear Pandora in one room and iHeart in another.  It's the programming in Composer that makes this not work.

No, you only have 2 audio connections from the EA5 to your matrix.  Therefore, there are only 2 available different streams to use.  3 is possible, if you want to include your Living room via HDMI.

You can certainly listen to the same thing in several zones or all of them if you want.  But you need to understand that 2 connections means only 2 streams available.

What exactly is your problem, just to program a schedule for your music sources??

Yes, the problem is programming any sort of wakeup either explicitly through scheduler/wakeups or scheduler/custom programming.

Once I tell a room to select an audio channel (e.g., Pandora) it plays.

Once I tell another room to selected a different channel (e.g., iHeart) , it plays and the prior room drops.

But if I use the app to select the same situation, it works.

How many connections do you have from your audio matrix to each amplifier?

This would be much easier to diagnose if you posted screen shots of your programming.  Connections of the EA5 would be better too but I don't believe HE has that capability or does it?

Not sure the connections from audio matrix to amps as it's thickly bundled cables on the rack.

But I posted the programming above so reposting here.  This is programmed under a wakeup schedule (which is set for weekdays 6:30am)...  I disabled using Wakeups as those would be one line of code each but the effect is the same: Once the Kitchen comes on, Master turns off.

select channel "3712338696085784552 - Bon Iver Radio" in Master

delay 5 seconds

select channel "5068 - WNYC-FM News, Talk_Culture" in Kitchen

1 hour ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Yes, EA-5.

C4 box has one HDMI out (presumably for my TV) and one digital audio out pair connected to audio matrix.  Then there's 2 amps to handle all the rooms.

But to the point: if I can pick a room, listen to music and change room and listen to different source, why cannot I not program that?

Sorry I misunderstood stood you here, digital audio can carry multiple channels of audio so its not normally referred to as a pair, you have two separate digital audio feeds from your ea5 to your matrix

Yes, tried that to keep discrete 2 rooms, 2 sources and showed to my dealer and he literally saw one replace the other leaving only the 2nd room playing it's source.

We then tried to make it explicit (not using wakeups and using the code I posted) and the same result occurred.

I believe this is a bug now as what we can do in the app should be able to be programmed.

I’m not sure what your asking here, I wasn’t referring to a matrix in that statement. If your asking what I meant by digital audio being able to carry multiple channels? I was referring to the fact that you can send formats of audio that contain multiple channels of audio like Dolby digital, trueHD and atmos down a digital audio cable 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:31 AM, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Yes, my bad... some wires were in the way so thought it was left/right like the 4 RCA port pairs next to it.

So there are 2 digital outs from EA-5.

EA5 supports 5 stream sources outpost to 1 HDMI, 2 RCA, and 2 digital.  I assume most of audio matrix only accept analog inputs, which is 2 RCA steam sources.   If you don’t hard code stream sources, you will Ned some condition code to support different stream source for different zone.   

Hey I tried doing a 10 minute delay between master floor and kitchen (as master floor is Pandora and Kitchen is iHeart)... didn't work.. as soon as Kitchen came on, master floor turned off.

So now I'm creating 2 schedules: weekday and weekday - kitchen just to see if putting the master floor on Pandora in one schedule and Kitchen iHeart into another does it.  They are at 6:30am and 6:35am so will update tomorrow.

Again, this is about programming/scheduling Pandora vs iHeart in different rooms not working.  But in the app, if I just go to a room and select to listen I can do Pandora in one room, change rooms, and select iHeart in the other.

Well, that didn't work either.  Still turns off Master when Kitchen comes on.

But switched to this code in the programming of my scheduler's 6:30am and executed it and it works:

Play Pandora station: Bon Iver Radio in room(s): 3rd floor->Master, 3rd floor->Bathroom

Select Channel WNYC-FM News, Talk & Culture from AV Rack->iHeartRadio in First->Kitchen

Archived