C4 Forums | Control4

SMB Share Connection Problems

Hello all, I am having a heck of a time getting my NAS share setup on my controller.

image.png.df097417ad2bfc2388df550c370f8322.png

So far I have done the following to no avail.
  • Enable SMB (SMB1-3 Enabled) since Control4 doesn’t support NFS.
  • Grant full access to the share with a new user and admin user.
  • Create another test share on Windows 10 computer, w/ SMB1 enabled.
    • Enable access to share with full control for user and for everyone group, including permissions tab.
  • Disabled all firewalls
  • SSH’d into controller and ensured that it could ping NAS and Windows 10 Computer by IP, even added then to /etc/hosts and tried by name.
  • Tried connecting to both shared with and without a WORKGROUP.

Both my Mac and my Windows computers can connect to the NAS share fine, and my Mac can also connect fine to the test Windows 10 share. Is there anything I am missing?  I enabled debug on the director.log and netusbserver.log, I can see the attempt to connect but neither say say why it failed.  Is there another log I should be checking?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Pastbin Logs, you can see I am using \\X.X.X.X\<share> format to ensure no resolution issues.

I have a Synology NAS which is what I'd prefer to use.  The share on the Windows 10 computer was an attempt to see if there was something wrong with my NAS share, permissions etc.  Are network shares something not recommended for steaming media with Control4?  Does everyone just use direct attached, or some other sharing mechanism or protocol?

7 minutes ago, THE L1ZARD KING said:

I have a Synology NAS which is what I'd prefer to use.  The share on the Windows 10 computer was an attempt to see if there was something wrong with my NAS share, permissions etc.  Are network shares something not recommended for steaming media with Control4?  Does everyone just use direct attached, or some other sharing mechanism or protocol?

can you run a DLNA server on it? I think you can. then use the free DLNA driver, that is much better then mapping a NAS to control4 and scanning 

Using a PC as a share is not recommended because they aren't always on.

Most people use powered USB drives or NAS.

I remember a few years ago, I lost my connectivity to my Synology NAS.  It took me a long time to find the resolution.  It was caused by a DSM update.  Somewhere in the control panel, I had to tick a checkbox and then everything came back.

I'll look to see where that's located.

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

can you run a DLNA server on it? I think you can. then use the free DLNA driver, that is much better then mapping a NAS to control4 and scanning 

Let me see about getting the DLNA driver installed and will give it a shot.  I was able to setup the DLNA server without difficulty.

Happy to install for you

Let me see about getting the DLNA driver installed and will give it a shot.  I was able to setup the DLNA server without difficulty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 5/10/2018 at 3:00 PM, msgreenf said:

Happy to install for you

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer @msgreenf, my remote integrator took care of it for me.  One more quick question though, is multi-room audio still possible with DLNA or is that only possible via direct integration?

19 minutes ago, THE L1ZARD KING said:

Thanks for the offer @msgreenf, my remote integrator took care of it for me.  One more quick question though, is multi-room audio still possible with DLNA or is that only possible via direct integration?

it's a digital audio source, so it's no different then any other direct integration....so yes, it's possible

errr..well it depends how you mean multi-room audio.  If you mean one stream playing in many rooms yes.

if you mean many streams playing in many rooms, then you have to add multiple instances of the driver and also have multiple audio pathways.

To close this thread out, I ended up installing Twonky on my iMac. It is quite a bit more feature rich than the Synology Media Server, search support, iTunes playlist import etc.  Given the extra horsepower of the iMac compared to my NAS it performs much better, faster loading album art etc.

Another useful script for populating folder.jpg files for all your albums if you're managing your library via iTunes.

Archived