C4 Forums | Control4

iPad vs anything else

I’m currently using iPads as our touch screens and haven’t actually considered any other brand. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using other tablets? Functionality and speed are the same?

I'm able to purchase iPads for a pretty good price but still higher than many other brands. 

Thanks,

I may use one native C4 grouch screen but my kids rooms and bathrooms will do fine with a tablet.

no worried about the wall kits. I’m having them made for me. 

Any suggestions on brands or OS? 

23 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

I have seen some fire tablet kits on reddit but havent put one in personally

I've seen some also. I don't like the printed ones. CNC cut ones look nice. Those Fire tablets are cheap. Good value. Wish they could do ethernet. They don't have the drivers needed.

Vidabox does an on-wall.

https://www.vidabox.com/kiosks/vidamount-on-wall-apple-ipad-samsung-galaxy-android-microsoft-windows-amazon-tablet-mount-enclosure-encasement-chassis.html

2 minutes ago, AMG1199 said:

iPads don't like to be in constant charging state. 

623351230_image1(1).jpeg.3de82d8347db931e77e995933b6e0ab7.jpegimage2.jpeg.35ee9a0c15064eb80cce0e4a9419581e.jpeg

Agreed.  Replaced a few client iPads for this reason, not on my dime though.

If you have the right networking/power products in place, scripts can be written to disable POE power on the switch on a scheduled basis.  All current customers with the above products, now get this automatically.

I suppose you could just use a digital 110volt timer. I haven’t given it much thought to be honest.

Any touchscreen I mount would use a POE to usb/lightning adapter.  If the injector for the POE is on a timer you could set it up to charge every 2 or 3 days for a few hours. Depending on how long the batteries actually last. 

On on a side note, Apple seems to feel the iPads can be plugged in I definitely. The OS is supposed to manage to changing and even turn it off if necessary. Obviously this hasn’t worked for everyone!

Archived